WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Re: Who are some of the best youtubers to search?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bunker
The thing that shocks me is how virtually everything most of these guys do starts out as the most truly frightful mess, yet at some point they pull it out as if by magic at the end. I doubt I could ever maintain the courage to get past that trainwreck stage. Seriously. My heart just sinks every time, just watching them. It's amazing how often I've seen this and I never get used to it.

I'm always impressedby the courage it takes to just launch-in confident in the image the artist is holding in his mind. Splotches, slashes of color, broad washes competing for canvas space ...then suddenly there it is, the image they seduced us with at the start of the video.

you will typically learn absolutely nothing from these videos where the "artist" does not show the faint drawing he may have made or traced nor the model he is using nor the photo reference he is using. Just starting with unreckognizable splashes of paint does not make any sense for instructional purposes ... but of course nice for showing off if that is the purpose of the video.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2019, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the post.

At almost 60 years old I'm a brand new beginner. I spent most of my life wishing I could draw or paint. Every time I tried I just ended up frustrated because I didn't know how to achieve what I wanted on the paper. I did take a drawing class at my local college. Other than a few art terms I didn't learn anything. The teacher would basically lecture, then set something if front of us to draw. I could almost cry now thinking about it. Later I bought good pencils and oil paints and again just ended up frustrated with my efforts. I was not able to learn that way! What I needed was someone to tell me what to do for the result I wanted".

I know drawing is the foundation for good art but I probably don't have the time left to become really good at it and I definitely don't have the patience for it.

When I found painting instructions on YouTube I finally felt that I could do something. I know Bob Ross isn't popular with many but he and others show me how to achieve what I'm trying to do. I make sure to do some painting everyday and I now have confidence that I'll be able to do more of me in the future.

Recently I have really been enjoyed watching "Your Brush with Nature, by Heiner Hertling on Amazon Prime Video. I found it by typing in "oil painting". Stefen Bauman has a lot of good information and I enjoy listening to him instructing his students. Dianne Mize has some nice short informative videos. And I'm very intrigued by her palette set-up.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproatd
Thanks for the post.

At almost 60 years old I'm a brand new beginner. I spent most of my life wishing I could draw or paint. Every time I tried I just ended up frustrated because I didn't know how to achieve what I wanted on the paper. I did take a drawing class at my local college. Other than a few art terms I didn't learn anything. The teacher would basically lecture, then set something if front of us to draw. I could almost cry now thinking about it. Later I bought good pencils and oil paints and again just ended up frustrated with my efforts. I was not able to learn that way! What I needed was someone to tell me what to do for the result I wanted".

I know drawing is the foundation for good art but I probably don't have the time left to become really good at it and I definitely don't have the patience for it.

When I found painting instructions on YouTube I finally felt that I could do something. I know Bob Ross isn't popular with many but he and others show me how to achieve what I'm trying to do. I make sure to do some painting everyday and I now have confidence that I'll be able to do more of me in the future.

Recently I have really been enjoyed watching "Your Brush with Nature, by Heiner Hertling on Amazon Prime Video. I found it by typing in "oil painting". Stefen Bauman has a lot of good information and I enjoy listening to him instructing his students. Dianne Mize has some nice short informative videos. And I'm very intrigued by her palette set-up.

You sound a lot like me if maybe just a decade older lol!

I had zero art experience outside of industrial arts like woodworking etc, but never drew or painted anything because it would frustrate me to no end as a kid when all I thought I could manage was stick figures etc so I never bothered trying. Now I seem to have the patience and will to learn that was missing for so long.

I too wanted to paint without learning to draw but I am finding now I need some skills if I have any hope of learning to paint well, so starting next Tuesday I am taking my first drawing classes! Before I was loathe to attempt it but now I am excited to gain some skills I didnt have before! I have no pipe dreams of being someone who draws ridiculously well but I hope some skills will improve my painting.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 03:29 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOh8i8JuUJw

Try this, I think I posted a message about him at the beginning of this thread.
The translation is bad. There is one more with translation on the channel, and it's even worse. But for someone who understands Russian, the channel is a treasure.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus E
Samuel earp. a good will for teaching.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5...Hk8E8gq7HOwT6w
Thank you for that link - have just had a look: those videos, together with the links to his website, where there is some written information, almost makes me think I could do that.....

(Definitely going to have a go, but think I may break it down eg skies, mountains, trees, grass etc as studies on their own before trying a complete scene).
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2019, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

If you have the time, take a look at some videos created by Ben Lustenhouwer. Unfortunately the good material costs money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTSHecqjOk
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2019, 12:30 PM

I highly recommend taking a look at EastOaksStudio. In particular, I love their live painting sessions where 3 artists are painting the same model as it really showcases different approaches and different results. Other videos are pretty cool as well. It's a modern approach to things.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/APVideoMag/videos

They also have freebies on their website: https://www.eastoaksstudio.com/

I love their mission and their approach in general. I purchased a full class from them when it was on sale (Still Life Painting with Alex J. Venezia) and it was well filmed, the camera angles showed every step and everything was very clear. My only gripe is that the 6(?) sessions was not enough to finish the painting so we do not get to see final results. Which also made me realize that while I love the artist and his work, his way of working is not for me. But that's completely personal and does not take away from everything I learned from the video.

www.instagram.com/dustlilac/
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2019, 04:18 PM

No idea if this is a known video, but the guy is definitely THE BEST non-youtuber to watch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJE4QUNgaeg