WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: the first line of a novel

Hi La, I agree that first lines are very important but I think first paragraphs are what really make or break it. Even if the first line doesn't make me tingle with excitement I will always at least read the first paragraph. If after that I'm still not interested then bye bye!

I like the first one much better than the second! The fact that it appeals to me emotionally rather than situationally to me is a good thing! Plus it's funny and humor will grab me every time!😜 Maybe just shorten it a bit.
She had learned over the years how not to burn her nose while lighting a cigarette she found on the sidewalk.

Glad to see you're plugging away at it👍🙋🏻
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:19 PM
california

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
The good writers I know all have two things in common-- they're voracious readers, and they're merciless revisers of their own work.

Yes to all of this
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Quote:
Sorry, Jon, but La's original version is more evocative than your revision.
No problem at all. I was just ruminating on the first part of the sentence which is why I placed the ______ for La_ to continue on with it.
An interesting thread and I am appreciating the many responses.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

whell, what a fantastic bunch of responses and words to chew on - thanks so much to everyone!

I didn't paint at all today, edited instead, for about seven hours, so i'm feeling pretty productive, yay me!

I've parked the 'weirdly' written novel for now (the dirt and mud one) in favour of this one, it being the first of the duo, tho i wrote it second. Definitely makes sense to get it fully organized before getting too committed to the details of the second, which came first, if one looks merely at history within it.
lol, confused yet?!

Anyway, both have 50+k words to them, convoluted as they are, so the basic premises are there, but editing, yeah, so much to do, so much to clarify, so much dialogue to add and refine.

It really is a completely different creative challenge compared to painting and my brush agrees, it's the keyboards turn.
Anything to avoid marketing artwork!

so, thanks again, you're thoughts really have been very helpful

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
whell, what a fantastic bunch of responses and words to chew on - thanks so much to everyone!

I didn't paint at all today, edited instead, for about seven hours, so i'm feeling pretty productive, yay me!

I've parked the 'weirdly' written novel for now (the dirt and mud one) in favour of this one, it being the first of the duo, tho i wrote it second. Definitely makes sense to get it fully organized before getting too committed to the details of the second, which came first, if one looks merely at history within it.
lol, confused yet?!

Anyway, both have 50+k words to them, convoluted as they are, so the basic premises are there, but editing, yeah, so much to do, so much to clarify, so much dialogue to add and refine.

It really is a completely different creative challenge compared to painting and my brush agrees, it's the keyboards turn.
Anything to avoid marketing artwork!

so, thanks again, you're thoughts really have been very helpful

la

Anytime you can get in 7 productive hours is a good day!

Good luck with the editing!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2017, 08:48 PM
A WC! Legend

I don't understand the 1st two words of the first sentence and, their significance toward the rest of the sentence. She came - are those words needed? Wouldn't one just need - having learned so much .... Blah blah blah...

Back to the drawing board for me.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2017, 11:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

thanks croggly and ian
i'm on it

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2017, 01:56 PM
A WC! Legend

Good luck with it, la la la!