Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Fixative Sprays – scents?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    kessed

I do almost all my drawing in sketch books – it works best for me right now. (Mainly because with kids and animals I need to be able to close things up and put them out of reach.)

I happen to be extremely sensitive to almost all scents and allergic to many. (yes – they are different reactions and I am aware of the difference – so is my allergist :) )

A friend recommends using hairspray – but I have never met one that I didn’t react to, including the unscented varieties.

Before I spend $$$ on fixative sprays at the store, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for brands/types to absolutely stay away from, or for ones that might actually be worth trying.

*****Bonus if you have an idea for something I can make at home which I can be sure doesn’t have scents in it.****

I would suggest getting something designed for preserving artwork. I use Krylon Fixative but I spray it outdoors and let it dry there as well. By the time I bring the art inside I don’t smell anything … but then I’m not allergic. I don’t think you can find out if you are sensitive without trying things so perhaps give it a try but do it outdoors.

Boafamily

I would suggest getting something designed for preserving artwork. I use Krylon Fixative but I spray it outdoors and let it dry there as well. By the time I bring the art inside I don’t smell anything … but then I’m not allergic. I don’t think you can find out if you are sensitive without trying things so perhaps give it a try but do it outdoors.

I agree I love this brand and being very sensitive myself this is my go to spray for all things fixative and varnish alike….sprayed outside of course.

Hairspray will have more of a scent and it’s not designed for graphite and other artistic mediums. I tried it in college as a cheap alternative and I was never happy with the results and my drawing had this tackiness to it that I could never shake and I never made that mistake again.

janinco

This is the only brand I tolerate. It’s based on the formulas the masters used for fixing drawings and pastels (just casein and grain alcohol). You can find the recipe for making it yourself online which is a bit cheaper.
                http://www.spectrafix.com

The pump sprayer that comes with it is not good…it can leave large drops. So I bought one called Flairosol and it’s perfect with a very fine mist. You do need to spray with the book or sheet upright to get the best coverage. You can get it from Amazon or other stores online.
                http://flairosol.com

Blair makes a “very low odor spray fix” but it still bothers me. The problem with hairspray is it is not archival and often will cause yellowing.

Jan

kessed

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help and I will see what they sell at the stores around me.

I do almost all my drawing in sketch books – it works best for me right now. (Mainly because with kids and animals I need to be able to close things up and put them out of reach.)

I happen to be extremely sensitive to almost all scents and allergic to many. (yes – they are different reactions and I am aware of the difference – so is my allergist :) )

A friend recommends using hairspray – but I have never met one that I didn’t react to, including the unscented varieties.

Before I spend $$$ on fixative sprays at the store, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for brands/types to absolutely stay away from, or for ones that might actually be worth trying.

*****Bonus if you have an idea for something I can make at home which I can be sure doesn’t have scents in it.****

What you draw with? Charcoal or graphite or something else?

I find that fixative is overvalued. If you are not using charcoal neither pastel , fixative is something not really essential.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

fedetony

What about in investing in a mask? I use one when I spray anything, icluding varnish or fixatives…

Federico Garcia
                        My Blog
                        C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

I have a mask. I still spray in the garage with both doors open and at least one big fan between the spray area and the door. Then I leave the article out there or on the porch until the stink goes away.

You don’t want to take any chances. Repeated exposure to an allergen can, in some cases, increase sensitivity. In the luthiers’ forum where I used to hang out, several guitar builders told real horror stories about becoming suddenly and severely allergic to the oils in the exotic woods they were using.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

kessed

I draw with graphite. The problem is that I draw in books (which is important because I’m already drowning in paper from watercolours) and then my drawings get smudged.

Masks would help while spraying, but my concern is that my book would then smell of the scent for eternity.

Eventually the outgassing stops. But you would want to leave the book open until the sprayed pages don’t smell any more.

Would it be possible to insert interleaves in your books?

Maybe you could transfer the drawings to scrapbooks …

katwalk

Krylon has Acrylic in it, so under no circumstances should anyone breath the vapors, get a mask, spray outside, and leave the art work to dry until it no longer smells, the book won’t smell as long as you leave the book open long enough for the page to dry after spraying. A couple of light coatings are better than one heavy application. Good luck.

A hooded spray booth would be the best place to spray, but most of us don’t have access to such a complicated piece of equipment, well I suppose it isn’t so complicated, but it would take up space most of us don’t have to spare, so outside is the best alternative.

Krylon has Acrylic in it,

No. The rest of the post is spot on, but inaccurate stuff like this doesn’t help.

Here’s a link to the safety data sheet for Krylon Crystal Clear, in case anyone wants to know what’s really in it.https://www.krylon.com/document/SDS/en/US/724504113034

This one is for Krylon Workable Fixatif.
                                http://www.onboces.org/safety/msds/K/Krylon%20Workable%20Fixatif%201306.pdf

If you insert leaves, perhaps consider polyethylene. It’s smooth so it’s not likely to smudge anything and it’s archival. Using something like tissue paper might be prone to smudging as it’s not completely smooth.

katwalk

Some fixative sprays have acrylic in them, as the spray I use lists it as an ingredient on the can, I should have checked on Krylon, still the vapor isn’t something you want to breath.

kessed

I love the suggestions I’m getting.

I do want to clarify, it’s not the vapours from spraying that concern me. I would absolutely spray in a well ventilated area.

It’s residual scent from any perfumes that might be added to make it “smell nice”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.