Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals Sandra’s exploring media sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    hobbyartist87

This weekend I finished going through the You Can Draw in 30 Days book by Mark Kistler. Feeling that I’ve gotten most, if not all, of the basics I want to move on to drawing and sketching from real life.

In the past I was unsure of which medium I wanted to focus on, so in this sketchbook I am going to be exploring the different media (besides those I know I already dislike using). I can see this thread having sketches from different actual sketchbooks, so I’ll be writing which sketchbook I’m using for each sketch/page.

Here is the first page of sketches from this weekend:

These are my attempts at drawing the cap of an acorn and my dad’s laptop. Both of these were done in Canson 7×10 Spiral Drawing sketchbook (this might be similar to their Field Drawing Book) using Staedler Mars Lumograph 100 pencils (HB and 2B for shading).

Sandra

Joan T

Sandra, glad to see you are starting to sketch from life. Nice!!!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

hobbyartist87

Joan, thank you.

Sandra

hobbyartist87

This week I took my Stillman and Birn Alpha sketchbook to work, wanting to sketch during part of my lunch.

These are done in the Stillman and Birn Alpha 5.5×8.5 sketchbook. The first drawing are the acorns dad brought home from one of his walks in the area. Then my sketches at work were of the napkin holders we have.

Yesterday I got the Pilot Metropolitan (fine nib) I ordered. I had a fountain pen I was using for writing as a child and my experience with them wasn’t great. This year I got the idea of using them and did just little tests with it.

Knowing that fountain pen performance is sometimes dependent on paper, I tested it in my Canson Drawing book. The Pilot Metropolitan test is the bottom sketch and the other two were done using Faber Castell Pitt Artist pen (this one has the superfine nib).

Sandra

otherworlder

It’s awesome to see you sketching from life! Keep at it.

Joan T

Nice way to test your pen!

eyepaint

Very cool. Does your sketchbook allow for wet media too?

-- EP Moderator for:
                                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

hobbyartist87

EP, thank you. Stillman & Birn Alpha does take light washes, as you know. Canson Drawing book didn’t seem to have trouble with water when I tested Pilot Metropolitan in it. I haven’t tried adding a lot of water to this Canson sketchbook, so it’s hard to say.

I’m not a fan of buckling in sketchbooks, so as this progresses it’s going to be interesting which I choose. The one time I used a lot of water to wet watercolor pencil drawing in S&B Alpha, it buckled and even 5 months later I can see buckling from the top.

Sandra

hobbyartist87

Last few of weeks I’ve been taking my sketchbook to work with me and sketching during the last 15-20 minutes of my lunch. Most of these sketches have been taking only about 5 minutes each, but I’m hoping to get to where they take 10-15 to 20 minutes each.

These were all done in the Stillman and Birn Alpha 5.5×8.5 sketchbook with Staedler Mars Lumograph 100 pencils.

Then last week I wanted to take my Pitt Artist pen and try sketching in pen.

This was still in the Stillman and Birn Alpha sketchbook, done with the Pitt Artist pen.

The same week I attempted participating in the Scavenger Hunt. I started it, but then lost the desire to sketch and didn’t finish it.

I’m definitely liking how the pen is less smudgy than graphite and with black/white sketches I’ll probably continue doing them in pen and ink.

Sandra

Joan T

Nice pen sketches. Keep them coming.

hobbyartist87

Joan, thank you. Yesterday I wanted to go on a hike with our local hiking group to an ice cream shop and missed the group by about 3 minutes. The meeting place was at a lovely tourist spot, so I used the time to do some sketching.

Lover’s Point in Pacific Grove is beautiful any time of year and yesterday was warm enough to sit and sketch.

This sketch took about 25 minutes and was done in pen and ink. I used my Pilot Metropolitan pen in the Canson Drawing Book. I really wanted to test out the pen outside, see how comfortable it would be for plein air sketching. I probably did maybe 5-10 minutes of sketching with the pen, but could have kept going.

I am definitely feeling more comfortable with pen and ink being one of the media I stick with in my sketchbooks, but want to explore more.

Sandra

KaySilver

Lucky that you had your sketchbook with you, so no disappointment when you missed the group! I need to start taking mine everywhere too.

Glad to hear you liked using the pen outdoors. I’ve not developed a feel for pen and ink – I think I’ll come back to it in a few months.

Helen

Nice sketches and a good way to test sketchbooks.

"I get up, I walk, I fall down, meanwhile I keep on dancing." Hillel

hobbyartist87

Claudia and Helen, thank you both. This thread is more for me to test which media I like using the most so I can focus on that.

Claudia, I’ve been taking my sketchbook with me almost everywhere I go for the past few weeks. With this hike, I knew I wanted to try sketching at Lover’s Point one way or another, so I took it with me with that in mind.

Sandra

Keep going, keep going. You are progressing!

Maria - Made in Portugal
                                                            "Really I don't like human nature unless all candied over with art" - Virginia Woolf

https://womenwagepeace.org.il/en/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.