WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2019, 02:49 AM
Urbanized village

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Rekindling the spark....

theBongolian...

Your post is interesting and has shown me just how secluded my life was when I was painting. With the exception of family there was no real friends in my life. In fact my family ARE my only friends.

Virtually all of my sales (99%) was done through the internet so I had very little if any interaction with galleries, art shows, buyers and even other artists. I still don't. You could very well say I had a solitary working life.....

The one real gallery I sold through was only interested in my Blue paintings like the one shown earlier and they sold extremely well and very quickly. However, after about 25 sales the owner said they were going to change the direction of the gallery and concentrate more on the ceramic side of the business. They still had a few paintings on the wall the last time I went there but they were all from the local "known name" artists.

Our local university ran the one and only open art exhibition (show) in a 35 mile radius of where I live and I entered 3 paintings every year for 14 of its 17 year history. Every year I would get the same refusal notification but still be invited to the preview evening.
I would go and would wander around looking at all the paintings and quite honestly got a little upset/angry sometimes at just how poor some of the exhibited works were. The artists on show would be there but they were surrounded by their own group of friends. Only people who I ever got to talk with were people who did not have any work selected (yet again).
I did find out later that your chances of being selected were better if you were a known name artist or you had connections with art societies (groups) which also had connections with the university. So, the "OPEN" art exhibition wasn't quite as "OPEN" as it was made out to be..... OH WELL.

As for buyers, as I said earlier most my sales came though online selling so other than the occasional email from a buyer commenting on how nice the painting(s) were there was no real interaction between myself and a buyer.

So as you can see I have had a very secular life and if it wasn't for my family I would have probably become very reclusive.

HOWEVER, having said all that my wife and I have both said we are going to start doing things together which we have put on hold or not been able to do because of commitments for far to long. We are even planning to go away by ourselves for the first time since our honeymoon and that was a long long time ago. Looking forward to it.

Dave Owen
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2019, 03:35 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

That's the beauty of the wetcanvas forum Dave, you get feedback and are in a community of like minded people.

Doug
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2019, 08:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Owen
It's been a while since I was last on WetCanvas and have spent the last 2.8yrs
doing virtually nothing with my art.
To show how bad it's got I have an image below of my painting area and I can tell you now that it's had very little use in the last 2.8yrs.

Believe it or not that above area has seen only 5 small (16"x 12") paintings done in those 2.8yrs. What a waste of space that is.

I was a full time artist and had sold many (1000+) paintings over the last 10 years or so prior to well virtually quitting. I was was mainly painting acrylics, but I also enjoyed watercolour painting. 3 examples of the type of paintings I did.

Why I quit is a complex mix of things, this included time pressure, lack of return on investment, children problems, health concerns etc etc... It got so bad at one point I instinctively knew that the moment I started painting the phone would go and someone would want me for something or other.

Now, fast forwarding to today most the above pressures have diminished and I now have the time to paint again on a hobby only basis (even if it's only 1 a week) , BUT, I just cannot get/acquire the enthusiasm back that I once had. I keep going into my studio space and basically sit there not doing anything,

Even though I have produced those 5 paintings there was no enjoyment or sense of satisfaction in their creation. It was like just going through the motions.

I NEED HELP. I don't want to make a living from my art, I don't want adulation or praise, I just want to enjoy picking up a brush again and creating something that gave me enjoyment in the way it used to.

SO, I am looking for suggestions, help, or even a kick up the butt if it helps me get back what I have lost....

So, if anybody would like to make a suggestion or two (even if they are a little goofy) I am prepared to listen and act on anything that will allow me to pick up those brushes again and enjoy putting paint on canvas or paper.

Any help would be appreciated....

Dave Owen.

I have the same problem. Do me a favour please and PM me with your location in the UK (if you feel like it). Maybe theres something we could both come up with. Especially as I like your work and such talent shouldn't be wasted.
Ian
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2019, 11:48 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

I really like that monochromatic cityscape. Have you ever considered a Noir comic book? Start a new career.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 06:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

I truly have not been paying much attention to whatever personal problem you have mentioned, but I gotta' tell ya'......Those are INCREDIBLE watercolors!

Especially the one with the 2 guys walking in the rain. What great work you do!

Just thought I'd mention that.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:17 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

All I can say is it's a darn shame you aren't painting.

With the nice weather, I wonder if some plein air would be a nice solution? Getting out of the "rat race" studio set up?
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:43 AM
Urbanized village

RobinZ...

Been thinking of making a pochade box setup. But something a little different than the norm.
I want to keep everything as simple as possible and have this really weird idea floating around in my head.
I agree that I need to not be in the studio environment and also not be readily available for people to get hold of like the current situation I am in. I do need a little breathing space now and again and currently that's virtually zero.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2019, 10:03 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I think we need air to be able to breathe creatively.

It's good for your over all well being, too.

Best wishes for you. It sounds like you're in or have been a challenging situation/s and are seeing some light up ahead.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2019, 05:20 AM
Urbanized village

Today (Sunday 14th April (2019)

Got up with the intention of putting together a plein air setup and trying it out under our roofed sitting area in the garden which is open to the elements on two sides. Was only going to do that as a way of finding out exactly what I needed to take with me into the outside world.
It was going to be a test and I felt geared up for it and it was sparking my interest again.

Not even got past putting a self made table (which I had previously made and was already in that area) into the place I wanted it when I got iterations of dissent from the wife. No matter how I tried to put over what I was actually doing she just would not let me get on with it
She just thinks oh get your stuff together and we go out somewhere. Won't have it that I want to try out a setup so I will not go somewhere then find I not got certain items that are essential with me.

In the end I just gave up. Seems like the road to getting back into my painting are going to long and rough going.

Such is life....

Dave Owen
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

You know, that is another thing most people are unaware of, the stresses of being married. Not saying that is what you were saying, but it definitely can effect your desire to be creative. A few weeks ago my partner told me if I couldn’t at least pretend to be interested in economics the he was going to stop pretending to be interested in my paintings. Before that I thought he actually was interested. Took the wind right out of my sails. And I can’t figure out how to fake being interested in economics. He is the only person I interact with, and even that is quite limited....so what was that we were saying about keeping the conversation going?

Sarah Rose
~~~ long time sculptor, short time painter C & C always welcome!
paintings: www.sarahrosepastel.blogspot.com
sculpture: www.rosestudios.blogspot.com
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:10 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Why is she hostile to your painting?

It sounds like your inspiration problem is rooted not in painting or your setup but in serious issues in your home.

I'm sorry about that....it's no fun to live in such discord.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Urbanized village

Oh she's not hostile to me painting and she does like the majority of what I produce. But she's just a little impulsive and she just expects to do things without any forward planning. I put most of it down to her medical conditions as she never knows one day to the next how she will feel and when she's feeling "well" she wants to get things done and I can understand that.

Me on the other hand, I like to plan things in advance so that I know I will at least have everything thought out and be prepared for unseen eventualities. This is why I was going to try and get equipment and materials sorted out while in the back garden. Once I had done that I would have boxed it all together so that when we eventually get a good warm day I could just pick up the box and throw it in the car knowing I had everything I needed in it.

I love her to bits and although she can be infuriating at times I would not change her for the universe let alone the world. She tells the truth when it comes to my paintings and if she doesn't like something she will say so and why. That to me is far more important than other family members who say "nice" things just so they don't hurt my feelings.

Although family is part of the reason for my lack of inspiration and desire to paint at the moment, that reason is a fair way down the list compared to other reasons that have impacted the lack of feelings I have for painting at the moment.

I will get to paint one day (I know I will).

David Owen
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Maybe you need to loosen up a bit on the planning in advance of every eventuality.

It's entirely possible that forcing yourself to be spontaneous to the day would be a great spark, especially given your life changing events and your dear one's health.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

Dave, couldn't you get the complicity of a friend, also dear to your wife, that could take her out for a moment? You could eventually try your new set ups when she is out...

But also, Robin is right, try to relax a little the planning of things...

https://womenwagepeace.org.il/en/
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2019, 02:31 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Hi Dave:
I'm in a similar boat, I also have a small studio space in a room, which is disused and I haven't done very much for over 2 years. So please know you are not alone, this can happen and I hope you will find some relief soon.

I can offer the following, just based on my own experience over the years:

You can set up a task of 15 min minimum a day, to draw or paint, maybe even using a timer, or just look at clock or watch. The fact that is it is every day without fail will help, and at some point you'll want to increase that time, if your schedule allows it. You can do something quick, or even work on a piece you can come back to each day and move further.

How about trying something completely new to you? That helps for jump-starting (I know someone already suggested that above).

For plein air, I would recommend then packing a kit as small as you can make it, not requiring too much - compact wc set, small bottle for water, small wc pad, and limited brushes, plus just a couple of paper towels. This is easy to maintain and you can just grab and go. (This might seem beneath the level of skill set you are used to, but at least you can get out there quickly and start sketching in wc or painting.)

I lived in NYC for many years, and had (still have) an office job. But with this small kit, I was able to paint on my lunch hour for about 30 min., every day - as we were just a few blocks away from a park - I'd walk there, grab a chair and paint either the statues, people sunbathing or eating lunch, or the flowers and trees. and of course the buildings in the background of the next block behind the park. So I can attest to the value of packing small stuff.

Your painting is just beautiful, and you are very accomplished, that will never change. I hope the feeling will come back for you; I have the same issue, I've done a lot of painting which is technically rewarding, but I don't really have any response to it. And now I seem kind of paralyzed in terms of being a functioning artist, and functioning in general. I hope that can change at some point.

Wish you the best, and that things will look better soon.

Cathy