WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2019, 03:29 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States
S. L. Weiss

I'm a classical music lover - particularly the Baroque period of music, with J. S. Bach being my supreme greatest ever composer of all time. I want to mention a fantastic Baroque composer - a contemporary of the great JSB - that nobody (except classical guitarists) know of.
I know everybody has their own taste - it's based on personality, experience, desire - so many things and it can't be defined.
But S. L. Weiss is so great. Bach himself admired his lute compositions and wrote some for him.
I wish others would get how great Weiss is. They don't.
In the hands of a great lute player today - like Robert Barto or Michel Cardin - it's so exquisite.
Would you give a listen?
I know it so closely, so dearly, I can play these sonatas in my head, exactly. I am a classical guitarist. I play a lot of Weiss on the guitar but it's not the same as the lute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKq3CWUsLno

Last edited by MarcF : 01-20-2019 at 03:31 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2019, 12:02 AM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada
Re: S. L. Weiss

Thanks for the heads up, I don’t think I’ve ever really listened to him before. There’s a number of recordings of Weiss’s music on Spotify as well; I’ve got Cardin’s Complete London Manuscript playing at the moment, and it’s lovely.
Btw, I agree with you re. Bach. But my favorite of his are the various cantatas, including the secular ones.
Cheers,
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2019, 01:17 AM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I love the contatas. The well tempered klavier. The Brandenburgs. The Goldbergs. The cello suites. The violin sonatas and partitas. The organ music. I adore it all uncontrollably. But Weiss is so sublime. D. Scarlatti also gets my attention. I love the Baroque period, Thank you for listening.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2019, 07:14 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

I asked my brother, a classical guitar player, while he was moping around here just now.

He says he used to play him. He says he played a song called "Paseqalia" or something like that (spelling is probably wrong,) and he says he has about 4 collections or volumes of his work.

I'll give it a try while I am sculpting today. I like classical music, especially guitar or cello performances.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2019, 08:42 AM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Passacaglia
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2019, 01:35 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

You need to talk with others in Classical Music circles or forums... especially those who are especially enamored of Baroque Music. When I first started listening to Classical Music seriously... some 25 years ago... the Baroque was largely limited to the "Big Three": Bach, Vivaldi, and Handel... and even there much of their oeuvres were virtually unknown. Now most Baroque aficionados are familiar with many beyond the "Big Three" including Telemann, Purcell, Rameau, Corelli, Domenico and Alessandro Scarlatti, Couperin, Lully, Buxtehude, Zelenka, Biber, Praetorius, Leclair, and many others... including Sylvius Weiss. There are a good number of marvelous recordings of Weiss' lute music... more than available by a number of other Baroque composers. I was just debating what o play on Spotify... and your post led me to look up what is available by Weiss. I'm currently listening to this:

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2019, 04:14 PM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcF
I love the contatas. The well tempered klavier. The Brandenburgs. The Goldbergs. The cello suites. The violin sonatas and partitas. The organ music. I adore it all uncontrollably. But Weiss is so sublime. D. Scarlatti also gets my attention. I love the Baroque period, Thank you for listening.
While it's of no use at the moment, and just in case you haven't heard of it, there's a radio station in NYC that has a Bach festival from Dec. 24 through 31 every year, where they play nothing but Bach and talk about some aspect of his music. It's streamed online as well as broadcast in the NYC area, so I got to listen to it out here in the frozen wastelands of Nova Scotia

It's been running for 40 years or so; here's a link to the 2018 page:
https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/wkcr/node/21295

A Bach-loving friend of mine who lives in the NYC area has been in contact with them a number of times, apparently they are open to requests and ideas from their potential audience.

Cheers;
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2019, 09:39 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild
You need to talk with others in Classical Music circles or forums... especially those who are especially enamored of Baroque Music. When I first started listening to Classical Music seriously... some 25 years ago... the Baroque was largely limited to the "Big Three": Bach, Vivaldi, and Handel... and even there much of their oeuvres were virtually unknown. Now most Baroque aficionados are familiar with many beyond the "Big Three" including Telemann, Purcell, Rameau, Corelli, Domenico and Alessandro Scarlatti, Couperin, Lully, Buxtehude, Zelenka, Biber, Praetorius, Leclair, and many others... including Sylvius Weiss. There are a good number of marvelous recordings of Weiss' lute music... more than available by a number of other Baroque composers. I was just debating what o play on Spotify... and your post led me to look up what is available by Weiss. I'm currently listening to this:

I'm clicking but not getting the Weiss Sonatas.
Unfamiliar with Spotify or Tumblr. YouTube is where I go.
Old guy here.
I know there are Bach groups, festivals, etc.
I've been a Bach lover all my life practically. Very familiar with every era of his life - and most of his known works. Also the other Baroque composers you mentioned.
I'd love to take up the Baroque Lute.
As I said I play Weiss on the guitar but I long for that dull, muddy, clangy sound of that lute. Very strange. Probably quieter than a mouse in the corner. Robert Barto, by the way, is an astounding player. I think his playing is more "alive" than Cardin's. Cardin's tone is impeccable however. There are a few other names. Very few. There are probably more members of some critically endangered species like rhinos than there are Baroque lute players today. It's a remarkable and beautiful instrument, but try to tell anyone about it.
Hey, I did try, and some people listened!
Thank you.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2019, 11:44 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

This is Konrad Junghänel - another master of the Baroque lute.
He's equal on his instrument to any great pianist, cellist, violinist etc that you could name. He just plays an (unjustly) obscure instrument.

This sounds different when you know what he's playing intimately. Imagine looking at Starry Night for the first time, with no prior knowledge, compared with looking at it the 1000th time.
I have the CD and I've heard the following so many times I know every note by heart.
Konrad Junghänel plays (the great and wonderful) S. L. Weiss.
https://youtu.be/hHXU4UYxnfE

Last edited by MarcF : 01-21-2019 at 11:53 PM.