Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Any way to save old brushes with dry paint?

• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Redneck

I have some better quality brushes that have over the years ended up with dried paint in them. Anything from oil, acrylic, enamel, or lacquer. Is there any way to clean them up? I figured I’d ask before tossing them. It would be nice if I could make them usable again.

Delofasht

A few different ways, you can try soaking them in a few different chemicals for a night each. Start with the least agressive and work your way up to most agressive solvent, being sure to wash them out with soap and water between each chemical soak.

Generally if I encounter the problem though I grab a bottle of Murphy’s oil soap and soak the brushes in a diluted solution for a night then wash them out the next morn and see how they seem after they dry. I have restored a couple brushes this way actually.

- Delo Delofasht
            bongo

I have some better quality brushes that have over the years ended up with dried paint in them. Anything from oil, acrylic, enamel, or lacquer. Is there any way to clean them up? I figured I’d ask before tossing them. It would be nice if I could make them usable again.

I paint with acrylics and what I’ve found works best – is concentrated liquid laundry detergent – the same one you put in the washing machine. Liquid dish soap will NOT work, has to be laundry detergent – it has certain enzymes that dish soap doesn’t. Put some in a small cup enough to cover the bristles and let it soak overnight. Then clean thoroughly with soap and water. Works virtually every time for me.

If the brushes have been sitting around for years with dried paint, it may not work however I’ve treated some that had been left for a month or so, and it required a couple treatments but eventually got them clean – so it would be worth a try imo.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                STUDIOBONGO

Tipo

Use the brushes as they are, you don’t need pristine brushes to paint.

Tipo

Delofasht

Oh I nearly forgot, rubbing alcohol will break down dried acrylic paint, you can soak the brushes in a diluted solution work it through the bristles really well and then rinse it out well. I have used that to fix a few brushes as well, just a couple years ago actually.

- Delo Delofasht
                        RaphaelG1

Delo hit on it in his first reply… soaking overnight in Murphy’s Oil Soap should do the trick. It’s been known to get dried paint out of clothing as well.

Ralph
                            "Oh what dust we raise" said the fly upon the chariot wheel

RaphaelG1

Delo hit on it in his first reply… soaking overnight in Murphy’s Oil Soap should do the trick. It’s been known to get dried paint out of clothing as well.

Ralph
                                "Oh what dust we raise" said the fly upon the chariot wheel

Redneck

Thanks everyone. I’ll pick up some Murphy’s oil soap and see what happens.

And Tipo I know the brushed don’t have to be perfect. most of mine are stained and such. but the ones i’m looking at now have a large amounts of dried paint in them and have been left that way for years.

contumacious

Thanks everyone. I’ll pick up some Murphy’s oil soap and see what happens.

And Tipo I know the brushed don’t have to be perfect. most of mine are stained and such. but the ones i’m looking at now have a large amounts of dried paint in them and have been left that way for years.

Be aware that if there is dried paint at and worked down into the ferrule, cleaning them with Murphy’s will likely cause the bristles to splay out significantly, and it will stay that way. If you try to get that paint out of there using a tool of some kind along with the Murphy’s it will probably get even worse. If the dried paint is far enough away from the ferrule, then you should be able to remove it and produce a usable brush.

Obviously it isn’t worth much if it won’t hold paint, so you have nothing to lose trying to clean it. If you mess it up, it can still be used for some techniques.

Redneck

Be aware that if there is dried paint at and worked down into the ferrule, cleaning them with Murphy’s will likely cause the bristles to splay out significantly, and it will stay that way. If you try to get that paint out of there using a tool of some kind along with the Murphy’s it will probably get even worse. If the dried paint is far enough away from the ferrule, then you should be able to remove it and produce a usable brush.

Obviously it isn’t worth much if it won’t hold paint, so you have nothing to lose trying to clean it. If you mess it up, it can still be used for some techniques.

Yes but that would be the case with any product correct?

I have managed to get a few of the brushes cleaned with boiling water, vinegar, and paint thinner so far. still need to get the oil soap to try. i figure most of them will be a lose.

contumacious

Yes but that would be the case with any product correct?

Yes. Murphy’s Oil Soap, though very good at removing dried paint, is much less hard on the bristles than some other products like lacquer thinner, MEK or various paint removers. It is also great for cleaning wood products in your home – well worth buying some. I add about 10% water to thin it out a bit for brush cleaning and add more water as it dries up. It is best to suspend the brushes so the tips aren’t touching the container. I wrap some foil or plastic wrap around the opening to keep it from drying up.

Redneck

Just wanted to thank everyone. I got some of the oil soap to try and most of the brushes are cleaning up nicely.

bongo

To clean acrylic brushes (not to remove dried paint) an acrylic artist that I follow uses only water and a fine wire brush. He rinses them off with water then rubs them thru the wire brush. Never uses ANY cleaner, and claims to have brushes 10 plus years old. I haven’t tried it – because I find it hard to believe. But evidently it works.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                                        STUDIOBONGO

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.