Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing mixing pigment into ready mixed paint, how to? anyone?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tidal

I have some good quality household emulsion paint white left over (and want to mix some dry pigment into it to colour it0. Reason being am doing large scale art piece be useing it as the tinted ground and like to do a few coats and sand between coats etc hence need for large quantity and thinking of using household paint.

Am I right in thinking that you mix pigment with water get it uniform and then simply mix this into the emulsion with a blender? Or am I missing something?

I’m not mixing different brands of paint just mixing some pigment into it.

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Gigalot

Take a muller, slab, some acrylic medium and try to grind pigment with acrylic medium first. And then, pour this finely dispersed paint into ready made household paint. When you are using dry pigment, then grinding is necessary step.

tidal

oooh awesome cheers so much that has made my day :) ! thought I was missing something seemed to simple..have muller n slab will do :) thanks GIGALOT

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Gigalot

Did you succeed with such pigment mixing?

tidal

Have all supplies and tools ready at hand but am stumped like a rabbit in the headlights right now paranoid about the air born pigment dust that will be generated when mixing them into medium….am looking at battery operated respirator masks as we speak :/

Gigalot

Use wet pigment, it doesn’t make a dust. People working with clay and ceramic, they do not use respirator to make a clay paste.

tidal

they are bought as dry pigment which is then mixed into whatever binder/medium is like many powdered things not good when disturbed and air born breathing it in etc. A bit belt and braces realy as pigments I have are level B but my advice to anyone and myself would be to wear a battery operated mask and ask manufacturer of said mask if it is safe for whatever level or micro of pigment you using. Obviously once they are bound and in there wet state it is generaly ok. and yes wet sanding best

ragtopcircus

Guerra sells pigment dispersions that would be much easier to deal with for water-borne paints.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.