Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Caran D’ache gouache pan opinions and brush question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    roxicus

New to gouache. Had fun with a super cheap starter set (~10 bucks for 12 tubes!). Also picked up a couple of not-so-cheap W&N designer gouache. Amazing stuff, although I haven’t painted with it reconstituted yet and I hear it doesn’t rewet easily. Finally got my hands on some Caran D’ache gouache pans – yeah, I know, pans of gouache? Turns out that’s a thing. Anyway not only is it nice and opaque, it’s really easy to work with.

A few questions/comments:
        1. Gouache is amazing. Why the heck don’t we see it used more often?

2. The Caran D’ache pans seem to perform pretty well, based on my limited experience with the medium, and are easy to work with. I know gouache gets a bad rap for sometimes not rewetting easily and being finicky to work with in terms of finding the right water/paint balance but these pans seem to get around those difficulties. Other than the limited color selection, what are the downsides here?

3. Some of my watercolor brushes perform much better than others. Those that are too thirsty often dump to big a water load into the gouache and I lose control of my opacity. Any experienced gouache painters who can point me in the right direction in terms of brush selection? I’m happy to experiment but wondering if wc brushes are necessarily optimal. Would less thirsty synthetic brushes be a good choice?

Thanks!

I find the C-D gouache set very convenient. I either use an acrylic flat and round and a very small acrylic for details in the living room in front of the TV or a Pentel water brush when doing plein air.

They moisten easily and don’t dry hard like tube gouache. The only draw back is the limited colour range.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

roxicus

Yeah, it would be great if the range of colors was wider. But at least it’s a start and you can’t beat the convenience.

I think folks who tried cheap tube gouache like myself and got frustrated by its drawbacks would be pleasantly surprised by these pans.

Kosmon

Below is some info from an earlier thread:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20993980#post20993980

I wrote to the Caran d’Ache company and inquired what pigments are in their gouache cakes tin. The below is what I received back. PS: I asked if PB59 was a typo and didn’t get a reply on that piece.

Best regards ~Lissa

………………………………………………………………….

Color reference, Color Name, Color Index, Lightfastness

001 White PW6 ***
                005 Grey PW6 / PB15 / PBk7 ***
                009 Black PBk7 ***
                010 Yellow PY1 ***
                030 Orange PO34 / PY3 ***
                035 Ochre PY42 ***
                059 Brown PY42 / PR101 / PBk7 ***
                060 Vermilion PR4 **
                080 Carmine PR23 / PR170 ***
                090 Magenta PR81:1 / PV2 *
                120 Violet PV23 ***
                140 Ultramarine PB59 **
                170 Cyan PB15:3 **
                180 Malachite Green PG7 / PB15:3 ***
                210 Emerald Green PY3 / PG7 ***
                230 Yellow Green PY3 / PG7 ***
                240 Lemon Yellow PY3 ***

I have the set of 15 (14 pans plus a tube of white). It’s interesting that Caran d’Ache sent Lissa info on 17 colors.

Kos

Hemmed & Hawn
                from
                PERESTRELLO's BOX[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
                Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone
                Barbareola

Welcome to the gouache lovers! :)

To your questions:

I think gouache gets a bad rep with a lot of people that equal gouache to the opaque watercolour sets they might have used in school. Some years ago I got bold and tried one of those sets again, Pelikan, one of the better brands here. Turns out I am spoiled rotten by artist’s grade quality now.

Brush choice is very individual. You might have to try some until you find the ones you like. I would second Doug’s recommendation. I love to use water brushes with watercolour and gouache, because it makes controlling consistency much easier for me.

I have the Caran D’ache set as well and use it when I am on the road, either plain air or at workshops and such. It is well balanced and versatile.

If you look for brands that rewet easily: Schmincke has three lines of tubed gouache: Akademie Goaouche (student grade), HKS designer’s gouache (professional used, can be air brushed) and the Horadam goauche (artists grade, can be airbrushed with fine needles). The more expensive lines tend to rewet easier – though of course they are pricier.

Kosmon

I have some M Graham tubes, and it rewets pretty readily.

kos

Hemmed & Hawn
                        from
                        PERESTRELLO's BOX[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
                        Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone
                        roxicus

I ordered some M Graham gouache because I like their watercolors, which also rewet easily on account of the binder (honey, I seem to recall).

Unfortunately the label fell off in a FedEx sorting facility and the parcel went missing so I haven’t got to try the M Graham yet!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.