Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Ross- Workshop Demo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kentiessen

I taught a Portrait Workshop at the Studio this weekend- this is the short demo in Pastel done this morning. I’ve not done a sketch like this in a long time, and really enjoyed the magic of Pastel as it came together before my eyes- talking and answering questions the whole time. The students enjoyed the class and learned a lot! 12×16 Canson Soft Pastel

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
        Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

carolkay

Great demo !👍

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
            kentiessen

Thanks Carol! I enjoyed it too-

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

jrsmithson

Great work Ken, you captured his character well. Pastels are hard, you did a good job considering you haven’t used them much lately.

-[/SIZE]
                    [/I][/SIZE][FONT=Courier New]
                    [/SIZE][/SIZE][FONT=Courier New][FONT=Courier New][FONT=Courier New]—>Clicky Clicky<—[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/URL][/I] [SIZE=2][B][FONT=Arial]@jr_smithson[/B][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

libra

Beautiful work!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Joan
                        kentiessen

Thanks JR Smithson! He was a great model- I’d like to work with him again. After working with oils, being able to just pick up a color and draw was a neat change of pace.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

kentiessen

Thank you Joan!

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

123harry

Very fine. As often the case with your work I like the colour harmonies which are kept close to the ground tone. Thos lends a powerful sense of realism.

C&C always welcome.
                                    Instagram harry.hamill

kentiessen

Thank you Harry! I feel that flesh tones in real everyday lighting situations doesn’t have those high contrasts of value and color.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

You have done an amazing job, Ken!
                                        This is one of the most challenging things you can do- give a portrait demo while teaching. I have much admiration for this!

bethany
                                        moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
                                        website www.bethanyart.com
                                        My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

kentiessen

Thanks very much Bethany– It is challenging for sure! New to the explanation was an effort to include the oil process. About halfway through, I realized that almost no measuring was done, but it was good (amazing!). It all was better than I hoped!

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

Winnieike2

Another beautiful piece, Ken! I have pastels and I’d like to try to do portraiture with them but I don’t know where to begin. Seeing your things here inspires me to try harder and learn more. Perhaps, when I get my eyes straightened out, I’ll be able to take one of your online classes!

kentiessen

Thanks Winnieike! I can show you the steps toward good portraiture in pastel, and it’s best do learn the right things from the start (we can do this via email if you like). When will your eye issues be better?

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

Winnieike2

Thanks [B]Winnieike[/B]! I can show you the steps toward good portraiture in pastel, and it’s best do learn the right things from the start (we can do this via email if you like). When will your eye issues be better?

Hi Ken! I’m hoping very soon. I’ve been seeing doctors at OSU and they’ve got a plan. I have myasthenia gravis and irregular corneas. Currently I’m having great success resolving the cornea problem with the use of hard contact lenses. However, MG causes double vision. I’m going next week to talk about getting prisms. Fingers crossed I’ll be as good as new very soon; I’m so hopeful! 😃

kentiessen

I’m glad to hear that Winnieike– Prisms do work in glasses, and we don’t need eye issues as artists! As I mentioned, I can help anytime with your work through arranged lessons (email, etc.) if you like-

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.