Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Internet Sales Strategies Who’s your preferred shipper: UPS, FedEx, or USPS?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Thaneeyabean

Hi everyone,

I’m curious to find out which service people prefer when it comes to shipping their art. I realize that we all have praises and complaints for each shipper. I was wondering the pros and cons of each.

Personally I prefer USPS Priority Mail. I have never had any problems, until now, when one of my customers is having problems getting ahold of a painting for which delivery was attempted twice.

I will continue to use USPS, because of the cost and convenience. There is a PO 3 minutes from my house, and I know what to expect in terms of how much the shipping charge will be.

As for UPS and FedEx, when I go to them in person they quote more than their website does for shipping costs. I prefer to charge a flat shipping fee, and I can’t run around to their outlets to find out exactly how much it will cost to ship from A to B. The one time I tried to ship FedEx they quoted me in person about $30 more than they did on the website. I cannot absorb that cost so I can’t run the risk of saying I’ll ship with FedEx and UPS if they end up charging more than I expected.

Any input on the matter of shipping carriers would be much appreciated!

:)

[FONT=Century Gothic]My Website [FONT=Century Gothic]Art is fun!

All of the images above are paintings created with acrylics on wood panel.

blondheim12

I use a shipping company to pack and ship all my paintings. They ship them via UPS or USPS, depending on what my customers request. I’ve never had any problems.
            Love,
            LInda

Linda Blondheim Art
            http://www.lindablondheim.com
            Blondheim Art and Stories
            http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

I have always used FedEx. I had 1 damaged painting in two years and over 300 shipments. It was insured and I got a refund.
            I have no problems with quotes. I go to their outlet and the price is always consistent according to size and weight. I ship from Canada and the packages arrive to US destinations in two days. I like the free boxes and find their service excellent.

My paintings ( mostly 8 x 10s) fit nicely into the USPS priority boxes. I like the free boxes, free tape, labels, etc., that USPS provides.

Nothing lost or broken in seven months.

Renee

wayfarer

Same here about USPS. Their web interface compared to the others is superior. No extra charge to ship to residential like FedEx and UPS. Saturday delivery no charge (UPS charges, I believe.) Can’t beat the convenience. Free boxes and supplies. FedEx provides boxes only for Express(–not!). UPS charges.

I would like it even more if there was tracking like FedEx. I know you are always complimenting FedEx, Rita. I wish the experience here in the States was as good as what you have.

There is a local delivery service here in the Upper Midwest that is 30% cheaper than UPS and FedEx. It’s called Speedee. I may suggest looking for the same type of deal near you for regional deliveries.

Chris

Chris, are you talking about FedEX ground or FedEx Express?
                I use FeEx Express and they don’t charge extra for delivery to residences. They will not leave the package on the front step if nobody is home and will try for 3 days to deliver.

R

wayfarer

Both of them have a residential charge of $1.40. I’ve never used Express. I was bit shocked to find out how expensive it was, so I don’t offer it. Ground for my typical package costs $5.28 USD to ship from MN to California. Express, it is $25. Even 2-day is a lot more at $11.80. USPS costs me $3.85 to ship the same package. If I get the postage online, there is no charge for the delivery confirmation. Another GREAT feature with USPS online is address correction and verification. Both FedEx and UPS will charge for that service. (My husband works with mailing systems, so I get the info from him.) Gez, I sound like a USPS commercial!

Granted, I’m not shipping paintings that are valued as high as many others, in which case I will ship with a carrier that has tracking. I just can’t see paying half the cost of an item to ship it. Now if and when USPS offers tracking, that’ll level the playing field!

Chris

Thaneeyabean

I totally agree:

Now if and when USPS offers tracking, that’ll level the playing field!

I really wish they offered a better tracking service, but I guess their free service is better than nothing. I looked around their website and couldn’t find any other real tracking service.

I like being able to punch in a few numbers to see if a package has been delivered yet, because sometimes customers never send an email acknowledging that they’ve received the art. It makes me appreciate the ones who do all the more!

[FONT=Century Gothic]My Website [FONT=Century Gothic]Art is fun!

All of the images above are paintings created with acrylics on wood panel.

Shipping from both the US and UK I’ve always found that it completely depends on size and value. For small stuff I stick with the usual post office (be it USPS or Royal Mail). For large work I prefer UPS – their expedited service is great value for money and I’ve had work sent UK to Japan, US to UK, UK to US and never had a problem – nearly always arrives significantly early. I’ve never really noticed a residential delivery charge, but these are packages that cost $100 or more to ship so I can’t see how a couple of dollars would matter.

Tip on website quotes: make sure you check insurance value surpluses and dimensional weight prices (which large paintings nearly always fall under because they’re light but an odd shape).

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

I am here in the US Georgia to be specific. My experience with FedEx & UPS has been very good.

Unfortunately my experience with USPS has been so bad that I won’t use them regardless of free boxes or what else.
                        I am more interested that my items that I ship arrive at the designated location unbroken and the boxes unopened or torn.

8 out of ten times with USPS things I ordered in the past from EBAY were either lost or broken.

That’s just a fact. it’s been so bad that I began to wonder how in the world USPS can stay in business. My husband has an answer :D but that a whole other story.

I just won an item from one of our wonderful fellow artist Wayne.
                        It was left at by USPS by the door outside. Even thought it was delivered to a business address were the door was open and people were available to sign for it.

Plain luck it wasn’t stolen. A few years ago they found bags and bags of mail in an abandoned warehouse here in Atlanta GA. Turned out it was USPS mail that was never delivered and just dumped there.

Ginette

In regards to the USPS another anecdote.
                        I just wasted 3 hours of my very precious time curtesy of USPS.

At around 2 PM I went to my local Post Office. I am trying to send an international MO to a guy in the UK. I bought a book from him and try to send him $20.00

Here I am at the USPS counter asking for an “International MO” since the young man seemed distracted I reiterated… “International… I am sending this to England.. but US Dollar OK?

He says yes this is for UK. So I took it, drove to a meeting, I was in a hurry. I get there about 5 miles the other way. While waiting for my friend I was meeting with, I started to fill out the MO. I read “Negotiable ONLY in THE US”

Well I though he said this was the right one, but I was suspicious, so I called that post office, had to look the phone number.
                        A lady there, supervisor told me that it should be a pink one for international, I told her it will be send to England. Yes… pink it should be, she said. She said I should come and get the problem fixed and asked me whom I saw at the PO.

I asked her if I could go to a post office that is just down the street where I am at the present time to get my money back.. I told her I didn’t want to have to drive all the way back to the Jonesboro PO.

She said you can go to any PO and get your Money back just bring your receipt and the MO.

OK so I went to go to the PO down the street. There the lady told me I’d have to fill in the MO as if it was being paid out t me and she can pay it out to me, that was the only way I can get my money back. So I did. She gave me $ 20.00 and I asked what about the 90 cents fee. She said I have to go the original PO to get that back. I told her that I was told by PO employer over the phone ,any PO can refund my money, but she said.. I cant give you the 90 cents fee back. She also told me that she can’t sell me a MO for the UK that they don’t have one.

So now I drove back to the original PO, by that time it wasn’t about the 90 cents, but I really wanted to know why there is such confusion amongst the different Postal workers, they are so clueless as to the Postal rules and services.

When I got back to the original PO in Jonesboro, the original teller recognized me and wanted met to come to his counter. He gave me to 90 cents back. As he proceeded to look up a Money Order for the UK I told him that I was told by the other PO that there is no MO for the UK.

He looked like he really did not know what to do now and the teller next to him got involved.
                        He took out a book and showed me the countries that they have International MO for the UK was not one of them.

Below in the book was another list that he said, is comprised of countries that the Hapeville PO sells MO for.

So I asked him, are you saying I have to drive all the way to Hapeville to get an international MO for the UK.
                        He said yes they are open 24 hours they can sell it to you, it’s in the book.

I asked him what is their Phone number I’ll give them a call first. He said… sorry we cant’ give out the phone number but they have these MO.

OK.. So off I went to Hapeville. I was close to the interstate so I went straight to the PO.

When I got there the teller told me we don’t have MO for the UK . I told him my story and how I have been send from place to place, been sold the wrong MO, have been given the run around only to end up with nothing.

I told him a bout the book the other guy showed me. He pulled out a book and found that page that I recognized as what the other guy showed me.

He saw the listing of great Britain and had to go to see someone else to find out more about it.
                        As he came back he told me, they used to sell vouchers to send Money to the UK but that it is an old list and they don’t sell them anymore.

He basically said there is nothing they can sell me to send $20.00 to the UK.

“Have you tried Paypal?” He asked me.

Well I told him this is not an Internet transaction and all I am trying to do is send $20.00 to a guy in the UK but not via the Internet.

So now it’s over 3 hours later. I still don’t have a Money order I have a headache and stomach ache and am mad because this is just the average experience I have every time I have to deal with USPS

Ginette

maverick

Does anyone here pay part of the shipping cost or do you charge the buyer the full amount?

I just sent my first painting by FedEx. 2 day delivery, no problem. They bought two paintings, so the price didn’t bother them at all.

Locally, I don’t mind using express mail (“Xpress Post” here). It’s cheaper and quick (2 days) and has tracking. Across the border is a bit different. It takes about 4 days, and tracking stops at the border. Still a good option. I’ve sent to the US many times that way.

Australia Post :)

[i]Originally posted by maverick [/i]
                            [B]Does anyone here pay part of the shipping cost or do you charge the buyer the full amount?

[/B]

Not only does the buyer pay the total on shipping, but they also pay a handling fee…think about it…

how much does any of your packing material cost? that includes foamcore, or bubblewrap, or whatever you use.

Also how long does each package take you to put together and tape up?

How long does it take you to print out an address sticker?

and how much of your time is spent at the post office or driving to and from?

We;re already selling at reduced fees…I’m certainly not going to eat the costs…

right now I charge an extra $2 for handling for my smaller packages, and for my 16 x 20’s I charge an extra $2.50 (they take me longer to pack as I need to cut two Priority boxes and fit them together.

My Web Site:
                            [/URL]
                            My Workshops

All my work is copyrighted and may not be downloaded, copied or reproduced without written permission from me.

If any man can convince me and bring home to me that I do not think or act aright, gladly will I change; for I search after truth, by which man never yet was harmed. But he is harmed who abideth on still in his deception and ignorance. - Marcus Aurelius

[i]Originally posted by Thaneeya [/i]
                            I like being able to punch in a few numbers to see if a package has been delivered yet, because sometimes customers never send an email acknowledging that they’ve received the art. It makes me appreciate the ones who do all the more!

Delivery confirmation is free if you do it online (0.45 at the counter) and you can even get an e-mail when the item is delivered. I always use it and frankly it works quite well.

I don’t see much advantage to the “full tracking” UPS has or whatever. In the end, that it was delivered is the most important thing.

Sometimes, the item is not delivered and a notice is left, they provide all that info. Here is a typical example:

You entered 0180 5213 9070 5381 8779

Your item was delivered at 11:39 am on July 12, 2003 in WHITE PLAINS, NY 10607.

Here is what happened earlier:
                            ARRIVAL AT UNIT, July 12, 2003, 6:36 am, WHITE PLAINS, NY 10602
                            ELECTRONIC SHIPPING INFO RECEIVED, July 11, 2003

What more could you want for free?
                            Oh and the URL for that is: http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
                          • The topic ‘Who’s your preferred shipper: UPS, FedEx, or USPS?’ is closed to new replies.