Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Wanting to explore new techniques

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hey guys! This is my second post to this site.

I’m 4 years into Illustration, not gone to art school or college or anything. I can’t figure out how to post photo’s onto here so I’ll post the link to my Instagram where you can see what sorta stuff I do and all that stuff. Feel free to critique whilst you’re here, too!

http://instagram.com/teaxcrossbones

My question today is: I’ve discovered a shading technique called contour shading and it looks really awesome. I can’t find tutorials or theory behind it – only on cross hatching or standard hatching but I feel it doesn’t cover enough to learn a different form of it.

Any input, examples, general chat on this would be great!

Thanks! :)

M.L. Schaefer

Hey, guy! First, you have to wait until you have three posts before you can post a photo. Use the yellow picture frame above. Here are instructions from the Watercolor Forum:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507417&referrerid=134492

There are many Forums (Channels – just under the Wet Canvas logo) to visit. Try the Drawing & Sketching Forum! Post your question there! I think that will give you the information you seek! Explore the Forums, you will be surprised at the knowledge our Members offer! It’s fun to explore them (the Forums, not the Members:lol: )!

Welcome to Wet Canvas. If you have any problems, there is always someone to help out! Good bunch of folk here! :)

Margarete

P.S. I’ve asked your Thread to be moved to the Drawing & Sketching Forum.

Or you can visit the Pen & Ink Forum (Channel) as well!!!!

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
        Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

katwalk

Well you have finally posted the three posts that you need to make in order to upload images so you can now post your work to a new thread, or this one, your choice. As to which forum(channel) you would be happiest in it is a bit hard to tell from what I saw of your work before I just deleted the page (I am on a slow connection and don’t have a lot of patience to wait for large images to load) what media you are actually using for your work, graphite, colored pencil, pen with colored inks? If you use pen you may be happier posting to the Pen and Ink forum (Channel), though we as a group tend to be more traditional with our subjects and style of work (I post in the Pen and Ink forum) If you use graphite than here is probably best, or maybe you would be happier with the Illustrators.

In any case I am not sure I understand your question so perhaps you could post an image with your reply.

M.L. Schaefer

Here’s a good example of contour shading used in conjunction with cross hatching.

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503213&referrerid=134492

So, if you want to explore more, scroll down to the bottom of this Forum, then hit Advanced Search, and then search for the words Contour Shading. You will get LOTS of results in Drawing and Sketching and the Ink Forums. :crossfingers: I’m thinking you will find something there!

Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
                Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

Well you have finally posted the three posts that you need to make in order to upload images so you can now post your work to a new thread, or this one, your choice. As to which forum(channel) you would be happiest in it is a bit hard to tell from what I saw of your work before I just deleted the page (I am on a slow connection and don’t have a lot of patience to wait for large images to load) what media you are actually using for your work, graphite, colored pencil, pen with colored inks? If you use pen you may be happier posting to the Pen and Ink forum (Channel), though we as a group tend to be more traditional with our subjects and style of work (I post in the Pen and Ink forum) If you use graphite than here is probably best, or maybe you would be happier with the Illustrators.

In any case I am not sure I understand your question so perhaps you could post an image with your reply.

Hi! Thanks for the response. I do primarily work in pen but I use a bunch of acrylics and pen with coloured inks, too!

If you think it would be better off in the pen and ink section of the forum then perhaps it should be moved again!

My question is merely just where can I find theory on the Contour Hatching techniques? I’ve searched into it and can only find stuff on cross hatching and hatching. I use stippling and hatching but from what I can tell contour hatching is incredibly different!

katwalk

I am still not sure what you are asking about, a pen and ink technique, if that is what you are looking for this document might help

http://belleartwork.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/peninkfinal-alpha.pdf

It is a PDF put together by various modern pen and ink artists working today, the section by Jorge Royan has images of various types of hatching and cross hatching used in pen work.

But other than seeing examples you are really going to have to try it for yourself and see how you can make it work or not work in your art.

Would still like to see what it is you are doing. I really can’t follow outside links very well and I am sure I am not the only member that has that issue.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • The topic ‘Wanting to explore new techniques’ is closed to new replies.