Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Yoga mat stuck to oil painting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    JennTho

While traveling, my yoga mat fell onto my oil painting. It was hot in the car and the mat adhered to my oil painting. In some of the areas, the little rubber dots that are the mat texture did not become unstuck, Does anyone have any thoughts as to how to remove the rubber dots?
        The painting is varnished with retouch varnish, not a final varnish. If it were an abstract painting, I would keep it as an interesting texture. Here is a closeup of an area.

WFMartin

Well, ……Depending upon the type of varnish, you MAY be able to remove the varnish, and in doing so, also remove the dots.

If your varnish is a synthetic resin varnish, it will remove with Odorless Mineral Spirits quite easily. Since the dots are on top of the varnish, they may come off as the varnish is removed.

However, if you have applied a natural resin varnish, such as Damar, your solvent of choice needs to be Distilled Spirits of Gum Turpentine. That should remove the dots, as well, but it may be a little more destructive to the surface of the painting, in the process.

Basically, this is one of the reasons for varnishing a painting–to accommodate for unfortunate conditions such as this.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

joshuaw

How archival is your mat material? I say keep it, do the whole thing – looks cool …or just listen to Mr. Martin

joshuaw

If the solvents don’t work, you have to get physical (pun kinda intended) – start scraping with a plastic utensil, if that doesn’t work… razor and repaint

kinasi

I’ve done a lot of stupid stuff, but never had my yoga mat stuck to my painting. Pull yourself together man!

Ellis Ammons

aaaand child’s pose :)

nameste lol

but seriously the mat doesn’t look bad from what I can tell. And now you’ve got a story to tell. I would leave it. I like wacky unintentional less than perfect things.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                            oil and acrylic paintings..

If the solvents don’t work, you have to get physical (pun kinda intended) – start scraping with a plastic utensil, if that doesn’t work… razor and repaint

Joshuaw have you actually used this recommendation on your own work and had success? :eek:

Angel :angel:
                            Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
                            http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

The OP mentioned they used “Retouch Varnish”. There are several people who post here who have experience as “conservationist” and perhaps they will have some additional information regarding the removal of varnish.

Jenn…please post more information on the varnish that you used (brand, etc). As Bill mentioned there are differences. Is this a recent event? Any other info that might be helpful.

joshuaw

Joshuaw have you actually used this recommendation on your own work and had success? :eek:

Sure, Bill’s suggestion will likely work, but if need be, scraping is totally doable. Obviously one would like to be as surgical as possible (try a thin piece of plastic first – thinner than a credit card, or use a sharp razor and go just below the unwanted material, or maybe, just maybe, some steel wool and solvent (use gloves)), but many artists have engaged in cycles of construction and deconstruction involving physical and chemical means. There looks to be some subtle variations in layering cool colors there, but if lost in the process it can be repainted – just give general observance to the fat over lean guideline.

Gigalot

Do not scrap it! You must use proper solvent and microfiber. Soak microfiber cloth into Mineral spirit and try. If not working, try Turpentine instead of mineral spirit. Very carefuly, step by step, remove rubber spots.

I have been a professional artist for more than 30+ years. I understand Bill’s recommendations, but not the scraping, razor or steel wool on an oil painting. Are you sure YOU have successfully used all of those techniques on YOUR oil paintings Joshaw??? I am not talking about Bill’s recommendations, but yours. YOU are writing as if you are experienced with using these methods on oil paintings? Are you an expert at removing varnish?

Gigalot is a chemist, perhaps he can help with a less damaging solution.

Do not scrap it! You must use proper solvent and microfiber. Soak microfiber cloth into Mineral spirit and try. If not working, try Turpentine instead of mineral spirit. Very carefuly, step by step, remove rubber spots.

Thank you Alex for your recommendations. Will OMS work?

Gigalot

Thank you Alex for your recommendations. Will OMS work?

I am not a conservator, but conservators always recommended to use weak solvent (Mineral spirit) then more strong solvent like turp. I just think, that rubber spots are not bonded with oil paint, but adsorbed by
                                        solvent soluble retouch varnish. The logic is to try OMS or mineral spirit to dissolve retouch varnish with rubber areas :)

Anonymous

Alex is right about the sequential progression from weak to stronger solvents, proceeding with caution gently, and stopping when you start to see unwanted paint removal.
                                            I will add that for a safer and smoother transitioning, you can also blend solvents that are soluble with each other, what I mean is start with OMS, then a mix of 50% OMS/mineral spirit, then straight mineral spirits, then 50% spirits/Turp, then straight Turp, etc.

Gigalot

Alex is right about the sequential progression from weak to stronger solvents, proceeding with caution gently, and stopping when you start to see unwanted paint removal.
                                                I will add that for a safer and smoother transitioning, you can also blend solvents that are soluble with each other, what I mean is start with OMS, then a mix of 50% OMS/mineral spirit, then straight mineral spirits, then 50% spirits/Turp, then straight Turp, etc.

Sunflower oil is a good solvent for natural resin. I used it to remove Dammar and fir varnish from hands and from glass jar. You can rub safflower (soybean) oil on dirty place, wait one hour and then remove it with OMS or MS.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                              • The topic ‘Yoga mat stuck to oil painting’ is closed to new replies.