WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#3766   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2014, 05:44 PM

Forest Falls

11 x 14 oil on board. I tried some special effects with lighting.

What do you think?.

Harry

Thanks

Harry
  #3767   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Johannes - Student Critique Posts Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogtdesign
I was told to post here. This is just a "trial" posting today to see if I can see what I post after doing so. Evidently I am posting to Johannes' Student Critique Posts.
I will also include two pastel paintings....one in regular pastels, a bouquet in a vase "Tropical Bouquet" and the other done in pastel pencil and stick pastel. These I did some time ago as most of my paintings are now in oil, because: No matting needed, no plexiglass needed...just put the canvas in a frame and viola! Thanks, Claire Vogt Wally

I am always in favor of interesting backgrounds. I would make the flower vase look more round by showing a shadow side of it. Also if you can design your flowers so some protrude and don't look cramped together.
  #3768   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Forest Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryfisherman
11 x 14 oil on board. I tried some special effects with lighting.

What do you think?.

Harry

Thanks

Harry
Very nice painting! The water is totally convincing. Your light effect worked. I would add some warm oranges in those cliffs for variance and color variegation. Warm against cool and viceversa is the way to go.
  #3769   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenser
Johannes,
Here are two recent paintings taken from local farms nearby. Both are acrylic. A critique would be much appreciated.
As I paint, I try to remind myself of all the nuggets I am learning from your classes.

You have really assimilated how to create depth in both paintings. I feel I keep going back and back. You also have good edge handling. I recommend you reduce the amount of sky holes. I prefer to apply sky gaps and fewer dotty sky holes. The less we make the viewer work to process the visual information the more he will add his own ideas.
I would've opened the gate a tad in the second painting so the viewer does not get a "Keep Out Message". The first painting has a "worm". That creates too fast of a visual movement. I would make that more asymmetrical.
You can also create a "morse code" eye movement with the accents with the foliage in the second painting, again to avoid the eye from moving too fast.

Last edited by Johannes Instructor : 09-24-2014 at 10:57 AM.
  #3770   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2014, 02:14 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you, Johannes! Wow, I get exactly what you mean, and you didn't need to say a whole lot of words to get your points across! You zero in immediately on the problem areas and make it so easy to understand.
  #3771   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2014, 12:10 AM

Jo: I worked on this 9x12 watercolor some more, taking your advice about the road leading the viewer's eye out of the painting, by putting in a tree! Would you please give me some advice on how to improve it more. Thank you. Nancy Pink aka flowerartwater
  #3772   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerartwater
Jo: I worked on this 9x12 watercolor some more, taking your advice about the road leading the viewer's eye out of the painting, by putting in a tree! Would you please give me some advice on how to improve it more. Thank you. Nancy Pink aka flowerartwater
I would've taken the tree right out of the top so it doesn't follow the contour of the back hill but it is not a big issue to overwork the painting.