Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Lamps for Painting Nocturnes By

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profi9le

I was wondering, of those of you painting nocturnes these days, what lamps are you using to illuminate your palette and painting surface? I’d be interested in the CRI score and lux number of the lamp, if you have it. (Not always easy to find!) Thanks!

Michael

Michael Chesley Johnson AIS MPAC PSA
        www.MChesleyJohnson.com

I have found that you’ll need more lamps than at first seems required. Here are some of mine:

The two large ones are LED “work lights” with clamps from photo reflectors mounted on them. They also have some tape closing off the area that would glare into my eyes. The small LED clip-on lamps are just a few of those I have. Obviously I use the former for the picture and the latter for palette, etc., etc. One of those LED lamps that strap onto your forehead is very handy also.
        I have no idea what the specs are for these. They came from local shops that I happened to see them in.
        Have fun, Dave

DaveCrow

I have a couple of book lights that I clip to my easel and palette and a clip on head lamp i=on my hat brim.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

Profi9le

Thanks, Dave and Dave!

www.MChesleyJohnson.com

Larry Seiler

I like this Coleman light quite a bit…a strong magnet disk with a strong metal loop to hang, take off and attach to metal by itself. I have a tripod, all camping type gear, that I set up off to the side of my paint box. I’ll then wear an additional head lamp…for extra light, but this baby is pretty bright, illuminating the paint box and painting…

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-CPX-4-5-Tent-Light/dp/B004E4GB1U/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1481756641&sr=8-15&keywords=coleman+light

you can see how much light thrown over my shoulder from this camp light, and how well this Strada was lit up, painting at the Grand Marais event this past September

Larry Seiler- Signature Member IPAP; Signature Member American Impressionist Society AIS
                    Main website! https://larryseiler-artist.com/

Larry Seiler

one other event, Port Washington/Cedarburg Plein Air, and shows my set up. The tripod stand, and the light it throws…

Larry Seiler- Signature Member IPAP; Signature Member American Impressionist Society AIS

Profi9le

Very cool, Larry, and thank you! I’ve been playing with a combo set of lamps, as well: Duet2 LED Music Light from MightyBright and Boruit Dual Light Source Zoom Rechargeable Headlamp. The Duet2 has two lamps on goosenecks so I can put the light on both the palette and painting surface, and it’s a cool light; the Boruit is so bright you could probably go deer jacking with it, and it’s warmer. Most of the work is done with the Duet2; then I step back now and then to see how it all looks with the brighter Boruit, which lets me get some good light at a distance.

www.MChesleyJohnson.com

Larry Seiler

Cool…nice to see what is out there. I have an overhead LED strip that has Velcro wraps I bought for my ice fishing sled. An Eskimo shelter that pulls over once you sit on the sled seat and becomes an instant tented shelter. All black in side to see the fish hole well, but need good light for taking fish off hooks, changing baits, etc. Was thinking something like this would be good, but the Coleman has a set of LEDs in it.

Guess if I was to add anything more, I might just duplicate my set up for both sides of the paintbox.

Always good to have options.

Profi9le

:)

www.MChesleyJohnson.com

I’m a fan of the Petzl headlamps.
                                    I have several different lights, including the double-headed Mighty-brite, which I found very blue in colour, but tamed with a thin orange wash on the lenses.
                                    Painting nocturnes brings a plein air painter up against the crucial point of plein air, IMO- the line between what the eyes can see, and what we ‘know’ is there.

Profi9le

Good points, Jerry. I like the Duet2 MightyBrite partly because of the blue light. If you can’t find a CRI 90 or better lamp to paint by, painting under a cool light will keep you from pushing the “warms” too much. Painting under a warm lamp, you don’t see enough temperature contrast, so you paint the warms too warm. IMHO, anyway. By the way, I’ve contacted the manufacturers of a variety of these book light lamps, and no one can give me a CRI rating or lux figure. It would be very useful information!

www.MChesleyJohnson.com

Haha, opposite experience here, Michael. After painting with a blue-ish lamp, I brought the picture indoors, only to find it very orange in over-all hue. I was over-compensating for the blue light by warming every mix with oranges and umber.
                                        I agree that info is lacking on the properties of these lamps, but they’re relatively inexpensive to try. I still use the blue-ish MB, but more as general lighting of the palette and easel, using the very-white Petzl lamp to make colour decisions.

Profi9le

Ha! As they say, “Your mileage may vary.” ;)

Haha, opposite experience here, Michael. After painting with a blue-ish lamp, I brought the picture indoors, only to find it very orange in over-all hue. I was over-compensating for the blue light by warming every mix with oranges and umber.

www.MChesleyJohnson.com

I’ve been looking for something to try for some time as well. The music lights seem to be the best option for price and weight. I have seen a couple that are supposed to have good color, but $$$$. Edge Pro sells a clip on one for about $150. About the only information they give on it is the temperature. Revelite looks to be really nice, but they start at $325. It is spec’d out though with a good CRI and R9 value. With both of these, the battery pack is going to add a bit to weight and bulk you are lugging around.

Thick skinned and sometimes thick headed, C&C always welcome - Mike

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site

skipstah

Some great info here… been searching for info on night lights for PA for a while. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

WEBSITE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.