Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Summer’s End

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I was originally going to do a watercolour of this lovely shot by Richard Garner Photography but decided there wasn’t really enough colour for me, so I converted it to black and white, cropped it drastically to make this panoramic shot, and plunged right in. It turned out to be more complicated than I realized, and it was a challenge. I kept the wash to a minimum as I didn’t want to get too far away from pure pen and ink. Image size 8″ x 21″ on Arches hot pressed paper, using a variety of Stadtler pigment liner pens. Comments and suggestions always welcome of course.
    John

http://www.watercoloursforfun.com

A super drawing John.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

This is lovely John with a good variation of marks …… I like the format too.:)

Don’t know where you get the patience!

Slight crit – I feel it’s ‘left-heavy’ with all the tonal action happening from the centre line …… quite how to correct without spoiling the comp I’m not sure!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

mbankhead

superb, John.

Mark.
        -Don't sweat the small stuff...

Thanks, Doug and Maureen.It did become a bit tedious as I underestimated the time all that texture would take. About the composition: I planned it so the slow curve of that unmowed corn would be an eye-catcher and lead you back to the centre of interest. I did some sketches with stuff on the right but decided to let this be a panoramic shot as is. It will be interesting to see other comments.
        John

Shanec

Excellent drawing John. :)

The left side is especially good, perhaps you could emphasise more the shaded sides at the back of the barn, merely a suggestion though.

Shane

https://artbyshanec.com

Anonymous

This is a very interesting drawing John , you have been interested in the atmospheric perspective (few penmen ever bother with it much !)
                But I can see how that perception would be central in your background as a painter & I find that interesting in looking at this .
                I think within the pic are some really accomplished techniques in the depiction of atmospheric perspective but perhaps they are not gelling as a whole balanced single picture …….. not quite yet !
                Only just though, there is great promise & a giant leap ahead in this pic, those techniques are truly yours & you look about an inch away from producing a perfect pic – with the correct scene to display those innovative techniques.
                Really John never mind these ” a bit tedious” comments !
                It’s worth it – you are on to something here !
                Mike

Thanks, Mike. Encouraging words indeed. I’m slowly beginning to see a technique I can be comfortable with and resist the temptation to turn every project into a B&W watercolour. I’ll be absent from here for a while as I have a watercolour project I’m longing to tackle, but I’ll drop in regularly to see what you’re all up to.
                John

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.