WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 09:08 PM

Talking Need pricing help!

Hi All. I have been painting for one year now (mostly following Kevin Hill tutorials). Haven't really been thinking much about selling but maybe in the near future.

Here is an 18X24 canvas I did of one of Kevin's paintings. Any help in pricing would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimmy O

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 03:56 AM

Re: Need pricing help!

You might want to consider making sure selling a replica of a painting by whoever Kevin is, is ok with him. You begin enterning the legal spectrum when you're selling.

I'd stay reasonable early on, but a typical scale is $.75-2.50 per sq. Inch, with materials on top of that. It hits $3-5+ if you're particularly good/known.

Good luck.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 08:28 AM

Thanks Jon, much appreciated!!! I think I am ok legally (I believe he might have even mentioned it in his youtube videos) but I will check.

Jimmy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 10:00 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyoteesitup!
Hi All. I have been painting for one year now (mostly following Kevin Hill tutorials). Haven't really been thinking much about selling but maybe in the near future.

Here is an 18X24 canvas I did of one of Kevin's paintings. Any help in pricing would be appreciated.

Pricing is variable, it all depends upon a number of factors.
It is primarily related to the artist and their reputation, experience, notoriety, etc.For example, A tiny painting by Richard Schmidt will sell for a lot more than a huge painting by me. A local professional who has won awards and is known and is represented by fine art galleries will sell for a lot for more too.
They have paid more dues than I have and will command and deserve more than me.
Another consideration is that it is up to the artist. You must decide what amount is the minimum that you would be willing to part with it for.
As a newer artist and being a copy from a tutorial, of another work, it probably won't sell for a large sum.
Another consideration is where will it be sold, by you on ebay, by a gallery, as they both get a fee, but ebay will reach many more viewers, but it isn't being seen in person.
I just don't really know what price you could get, I am just talking about the nebulous factors to consider.
Good luck, someone may adore it and want to compensate you generously.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 01-09-2018 at 10:06 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 11:00 AM

Animal portraits are very popular these days. Landscapes are always harder to sell. I would diversify your portfolio to see where the most interest is where you live. At your stage its about getting people interested in you(your life and personality). Once the ball starts rolling only then think about making money.

Last edited by Raffless : 01-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 03:24 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

Quote:
You might want to consider making sure selling a replica of a painting by whoever Kevin is, is ok with him. You begin enterning the legal spectrum when you're selling.

This.

I am of the personal opinion that paintings copied especially from living artists are for practice/learning purposes only.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2018, 03:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

In my opinion, a painting of that size, and of that apparent quality could easily have a price tag of about $300, considering that you are a relative "beginner".

Don't ever tell anyone how long you've been painting. Good art is good art, and no one needs to ever know how much experience you've had, or how many paintings you've painted, or sold.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 06:19 PM

Thanks WFMartin. It is much appreciated!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 07:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

You're welcome.

I also recommend that you always sign your work, preferably on the front, in paint, but never put a date on it.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 02:51 PM

I agree about the signature. I do have one on the bottom left (I use my initials). hidden a bit to blend in with the rocks.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 03:13 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyoteesitup!
I agree about the signature. I do have one on the bottom left (I use my initials). hidden a bit to blend in with the rocks.

That's the way to do it. A signature should not appear so prominent that it draws the viewer's eye to it, rather than to the center of interest in the painting.

I try to make it about the same color theme as whatever is is the lower left, or right of my painting, but just a little darker--usually a dark green or brown, or whatever.

I have found it amusing that as my paintings have improved over time, my signature has become less and less "prominent". When I first began painting, a viewer would have no trouble determining who painted it, because my signature was "fat", and "contrasty" against the painting, making it very prominent. It seems that in those days, I really wanted viewers to know "who painted this painting". Today, I use a very fine brush, and I create my signature in the darkest area of the lower portion of my painting, using a color that only slightly darker than that of the painting, itself.

I don't want viewers to see my signature, until they look for it.

Side-bar: At one art competition in which I enter my paintings, a buyer who had already purchased several of my paintings of flowers over the years, and who knew me mostly by my art work, decided to purchase a painting of a steer that I had entered. It was only when she got up close to the painting that she discovered (pleasantly, I believe) that I was also the artist who painted the steer. I was told that she was quite surprised to learn that she had bought another of my paintings that was very far from the flower paintings she already owned of mine.

My signature was not prominent. She liked the painting because on its own merit, rather than because of who had painted it.

Last edited by WFMartin : 01-13-2018 at 03:19 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 03:27 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Hi Jimmy, I think Sid above has well laid out the many variables involved with pricing a painting. I have one to add though: if you plan to sell locally, then your local market, and particular place in which you display your art (i.e. gallery, coffee shop, street fair, etc.), makes a huge difference in what price you should ask.

I've just started selling myself, and have discovered that there is just no "right price." I've agonized over what price to set my work at, and have gotten advice that's all over the map, too. There's a lot of advice warning new artists not to price to high...and other advice warning not to sell too low, whatever either of those terms may mean. In the end, you've just got to get out there and take a shot, and see what happens.

I'm pretty much with Jess, though, that maybe (starting out especially), it's best to bypass the copies of other artists' work, and put some of your own originals out there for people to see.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 03:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Hi Jimmy, I think Sid above has well laid out the many variables involved with pricing a painting. I have one to add though: if you plan to sell locally, then your local market, and particular place in which you display your art (i.e. gallery, coffee shop, street fair, etc.), makes a huge difference in what price you should ask.

I've just started selling myself, and have discovered that there is just no "right price." I've agonized over what price to set my work at, and have gotten advice that's all over the map, too. There's a lot of advice warning new artists not to price to high...and other advice warning not to sell too low, whatever either of those terms may mean. In the end, you've just got to get out there and take a shot, and see what happens.

I'm pretty much with Jess, though, that maybe (starting out especially), it's best to bypass the copies of other artists' work, and put some of your own originals out there for people to see.

I believe that's all rather good advice.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2018, 02:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFMartin
You're welcome.

I also recommend that you always sign your work, preferably on the front, in paint, but never put a date on it.

It's inappropriate to sign a painting copied from someone else without crediting them and newbies should be alerted to this. Here's an archived discussion on this subject.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/arch...t-1312039.html
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2018, 03:32 PM

I follow a guy on YouTube that encourages his audience to paint along with him. I emailed him directly to ask permission to sell anything that I do from his tutorials. I don't plan on it right now but wanted to know for the future.

He gave permission as long as I specifically do not include his name or any mention of his brand.