WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#76   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2018, 10:45 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... January 2018

Nancy, thank you...and yes...you and himself both...stay well and healthy...

Annie, thank you too....it will be sometime before I can think of marketing...have condo sale with many issues and taxes to deal with first...but thanks for the thought.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #77   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 02:00 PM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Becca, the collages are fantastic! I love that you include an applicable quote. Are they all put together like the last one? It looks like it is pressed between 2 sheets of (plexi)glass, can it be taken apart and re-assembled? These look like nice pieces to hang at local businesses, maybe when you get all of your issues cleared up, you might be able to do that.

Felt better this Ayem (2 steps forward in the morning, 1 step back overnight). Hoping to stay home today, we have an overnight trip planned for San Diego tomorrow.

Spent the morning helping bf navigtate EDD (state unemployment for those of you playing outside of CA). The system is incredibly fubar'd, your chances of getting through their automated 800 phone system without being sumarily disconnected because of 'too many calls' is about one in a million. After some online research, I don't think this is an exaggeration, and it has been like this for over a decade. He got so frustrated the last 2 days because of this.

So we consulted the oracle for options. The first was choosing vietnamese as your language. Tried it, Nope, next. Dialing the number and a sequence of prompt responses indicating you are an employer. Nope, next. A 714 area code for some administrative office. First time the person cliamed she couldn't help, call 800 (Ha! Nope!) Some people recommended that even getting a human was 99% of the battle, so try again a few times. Second time worked and bf got a person who would give him his account number (which was all he really needed), a phone number for doing reclaim forms (which he needed to do, although that number didn't work correctly). The account number allowed him to finsh registering online (which process he started 2 days ago, and started the attempts to get it by calling), and he was finally able to re-open his claim.

Ironically, he had to turn down a chance to work today from one of his contractors, because he needed to get this cleared up before the deadline passed. It is also a bad time to try and contact them, because of all of the seasonal worker being laid off after Christmas.

So lunchtime now, then filing 1099s and sales taxes. No sick time for the self employed. Nice thing about painting, unlike bookkeeping, the deadlines are ones I set myself, not the government.

Last edited by mtpalms : 01-11-2018 at 02:03 PM.
  #78   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 02:13 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Marcia..and yes...using the same frame system for them all...I love these frames, and they have become more affordable...about a year ago when they hit the market they were very costly...

hope you feel better soon...tax stuff can make one sick anyway on it's own, a shame to go into it not feeling 100%....

and I know what you mean about prioritizing to get a done before b can happen...have a whole course of that going on and it is unsettling...but so it goes...

get rest...feel better.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #79   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 PM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

2 steps forward... Feeling a bit better today, will just have to take it easy today, try not to fit too much into the trip today. We are going to a concert tonight, which should be relaxing.
  #80   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 01:16 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia...glad you are feeling better....who's playing?

Here is my latest...

Name:  lost and turned resize.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  202.9 KB
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #81   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 02:55 PM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Marcia...glad you are feeling better....who's playing?

Here is my latest...

Awesome! You are so good with the wordplay.

The bill was supposed to be Peter Rowan and Ramblin Jack Elliott, but Peter's under the weather, so a guy named Rick Shea is opening (kind of underwhelmed with his videos, hopefully he is better live). Kind of disappointing, but we already had the tickets, and the guy that books these shows has a hard time competing against the big venues, and our lodgings were past the refind date when the change was announced.
  #82   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 03:27 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thank you...

and you will likely have fun anyway...and i will say more than one artist was not impressive in their video only to be great irl....
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #83   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

Was just checking the pictures for weekend drawing event.
Marcia, you might find the last AMAE WDE Jan12 photo interesting: a van/trailer with Carurday theme. Happy Caturday!
  #84   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 09:32 PM
A WC! Legend

Happy late Caturday Everybodee!!!

The opening act was okay, but I wouldn't cross the street to hear him play. Ramblin' Jack was awesome, even at 87! Tonight we go to a concert featuring a harpsicord.

Thanks for the tip, Mosc, that is a very cool trailer! When mine finally gets finished, I was thinking of painting on it too.
  #85   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia, glad you are having a good time...

maybe last collage, for a little while anyway...suddenly felt overwhelmed by them all...need to find proper storage for them I guess...

in acrylic frame...the collage is the sepia, the buildings are just showing through in the background...

Name:  worldresize.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  140.7 KB
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #86   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Lord of the Arts

Love your new work, Becca!

We've been moving furniture here ... tired ... Muffin liked the move .. she went grazy, she always does when there is some action. Now that my old plans before Xmas were crashed .. mainly by my own fault (to be honest only my own fault) .. we have new ones that would include a long, long car ride deep down south. I have my doubts that it would finally happen but hubby says it will. It's a question about a very mean boss (Marcia I read you comments about your 'boss from hell' and I feel it) but the first fase went fluently and now human resources dept is doing their job to make our dream happen ... lets see how all works out and if Muffin gets to go to her longest car trip ever.

Marcia, I like yor caturday photo. I'd like to make a similar picture of Muffin but my camera battery charger is lost and I think I just broke my wireless router in the move so I only have tablet for Internet and that is not much.

Nancy, to comment our earlier talk: I don't spend money to a Christmas tree, I cut it from my garden. I thought this year's tree would be small because it looked so small in the garden but when it came in it actually was quite big. It's surprising how things look different in different surrounding ...
... talking about different athmosphere I was shocked last fall how different paintings might look in your living room and when you take them to the exhibition place: the space might be bigger, lightning is different. How can you avoid that happening? Did this ever happen to any of you? You can't really avoid this happening unless you take your paintings to the exhibition sala/room beforehand and see how they look in that particular litghning ???
  #87   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 08:33 AM
Lord of the Arts

Excellent, I managed to post the long post with tablet before it went to bit heaven.
  #88   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 12:05 PM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Goodness Mosc, it sounds like you have moved your household, or are in the process. How far south is 'deep south' from where you have been? Muffin is used to traveling, I think she will handle it like a champ. There will be plenty of opportunities for getting pictures and a replacement charger when you get moved.

I almost wish I lived somewhere where I could harvest a Xmas tree out of my own backyard (except it also would mean living in snow country, lol.). My relatives in Germany light theirs with candles on Xmas Eve, because the tree is so fresh! Trees bought from lots here are usually too dried out for that. Some people are lucky enough to live near tree farms where they can cut their own. The thing I miss most is the smell. Pine boughs smell so good!

I haven't experienced that my paintings change much from when they are at home or in a gallery, except they look better. That could be because of the lighting, that the painting is hung on a white wall with plenty of room around it, or just that having it hung somewhere new lets you see it with 'new eyes'. Kind of the same effect when you turn one to the wall when you are stuck, and when you turn it back around after a few weeks or months, you know exactly what it needs to be completed.

I got 1099s* filed for You-Know-Who before leaving for San Diego, but still have a few to file for other clients. This morning I meet with the property manager guy, probably for the last time, as he is getting out of managing rentals and just focusing on real estate sales. He is one guy I will miss working for, because he and his wife are very nice people.

I will try and get the rest of the 1099s done and my sales tax too, providing the government websites work on Sunday. For whatever reason, sometimes they don't work over the weekend. Monday is a holiday, too.
  #89   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 12:30 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
How far south is 'deep south' from where you have been? Muffin is used to traveling, I think she will handle it like a champ.
Actually, if all goes as fluently as it's gone till now, we'll be almost neighbors to Greg.

What holiday is Monday over there?
  #90   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 12:45 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia...sounds as if you are feeling much better....maybe the getaway was good medicine for you...congrats on your progress...btw...here, in the NW...Portland esp has little snow, if any...downside, when there is snow everything stops...but then it is rare, and there are loads of trees for cutting...

Mosc...it is Martin Luther King day
Becca's Fine Art my blog