WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: As the Oily Rag Burns.... January 2018

Becca, painting plans sound good I like a lot that painting you posted! I'm also now back to painting after a few disappointments last fall ... sigh.

Marcia, glad you got help getting medicine! Get well soon!

Nancy, I could write you a story about global warming. Hubby is reading a lot about it and I listen ...

We had very FAST Caturday today. Muffin decided (first time in her life) to throw things from shelves. All the Santas were on the floor both candle and soft ones. I don't even dare to look what happened to the candle Santas. After that she went on and threw the Christmas tree over. There was quite a bit of water on the floor.
She felt like she had done an important task when I started shooting photos.

Here's the guilty caught in action:

Happy Caturday Oily Cats!
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 10:36 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Mosc...apparently Muffin was done with the holiday stuff...and really officially today Christmas was over so, there you go...she was right on time.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 06:00 AM
Lord of the Arts

True! She has the correct instinct She's definitely done with Christmas. I told her "OK, the tree goes out but the lights stay"
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 12:42 PM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Becca, it is always a treat to see one of your paintings, whether it is new or from 'the vaults'.

Mosc, so sweet of Muffin to help you take down the Xmas decorations. Skeezix has also found out that that is a good way to get my attention, although she limits hereself to the paperwork on my desk, and only when I am sitting at it.

My cats were particularly active early this morning, or maybe it was because I slept on the couch last night (quicker access to the bathroom after drinking loads of liquids all day), so was privy to their nocturnal prowling. There is rain in the forecast, possibly tomorrow, definitely Tuesday, and the air was deliciously damp this morning! I did sleep much better last night, that is to say, I actually slept inbetween trips to the loo.

Thank goodness for calendar alerts. I had a nagging suspicion that there was something I had to do today. Turns out, I need to pick up a couple of paintings at the gallery in the next town over late afternoon. I just informed bf that we will also be having dinner there.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 08:18 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I'm painting a landscape,haven't done one in a long time.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Lord of the Arts

Michael, what size?
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 10:19 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Thanks Marcia...am wondering what the fate will be for those in that series come the end of this year...whatever...may be ceremonial...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 10:52 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I got quite a bit more of my football player painted today - I want to have it all in by about another week; then I can let it dry enough to make some subtle corrections on it. Football helmets are really hard to paint right. But I couldn't put something on him that looked like an Easter bonnet. I'm much better at those...

I am glad I started on a 24" by 36" canvas, so that I'll have time to get it polished up before February.

Meanwhile, I'm still having to figure out how to take a picture of it so I can get it online.

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 12:03 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Michael...landscapes are a breeze

Nancy...glad you are painting
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Michael, let us know if your landscape turns out to be a 'breeze' or more of a challenge. My money's on 'breeze'. and I hope you post it!

Becca, I hope you don't mean that you may have to ceremonially dispose of your paintings. They tell a progressive story, which is fascinating. There Are some who think disposing of old work is cathartic, if difficult.

Nancy, glad you are making progress on the football player!

Last night was rough. I slept on the couch because bf had to get up at 2 AM and drive down to LA, and when he got up, I got up so I could go to bed. I was really congested and didn't really get back to sleep for a couple of hours. Next thing I know, it is almost 8 o'clock! Guess I needed the rest. It is errand day and I have a client that doesn't take long to wrap up their year, but they will have at least one person who needs a 1099, so that is what I am working on this morning. I heard some sprinkles on the roof, so some rain may come today.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 01:50 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia, you needed the rest...good luck wrapping up a little work though...

and yes, depending how this year goes my have to sacrifice my inventory...don't esp want to .. but may be necessary...then again .. only Jan 8 now, so who knows...last evening someone suggested I hang them in high places around the city as graffiti...lol...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 04:50 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Marcia, it sounds like you may have a flu bug, although perhaps milder than mine was, since you're still out and about. Be careful not to push yourself and get sicker. Here's hoping there's some way you can take a while off for some recoup time, but I guess with all you've said about 1099s, etc., that may be difficult. Maybe your bf would be willing to go pick up the paintings while you rest at home? ...and bring take out home? I love the cat and books graphic!

Michael, I too look forward to your landscape. Please link it here when you post it. Also, it's been a while since you moved now. How are you liking your new place?

Becca, that's a beautiful painting! I like the way you've given more detail on the face but left the rest more abstract, and the lighting is very well done. You shouldn't throw it away, or your other paintings either! But if some culling is unavoidable, maybe you should consider donating the work. Those organizations with charity auctions might really appreciate getting your paintings, and you get your name out there and maybe some tax deductions as well.

Hi mosc! Oh my, Muffin has a bit of a little devil about her! Cats tend to be very unhappy with any changes in their environment or schedule and often act up to express their disapproval, so maybe that's all it is. I'm sorry to hear there were disappointments last year.

Nancy, congrats on the progress on the football player. I'm glad - and I'm sure potential buyers will be too - that he won't be wearing an Easter bonnet! I am so jealous that you've had the time to paint.

Marcia, best wishes on the rain. Where I am, it's forecast just about every day from now until eternity, so my own wishes about it are different! But I know that CA really, really needs the rain.

Between my tooth problem, getting the flu, making various preparations for getting my work in and out of a couple shows - and, most importantly, my big downsizing project that appears to be a job that will never, ever, end - I really haven't gotten any painting in for a couple of months despite my hopes that I'd use my time off from school to get a lot in! A consolation prize is selling a total of 5 paintings in the same time frame - one just a couple of nights ago at a new cooperative gallery. It's funny though, as exciting as that is, I'm also thinking of how it puts me further away from any body of work sort of exhibit, since I've been selling so many body parts!

It turns out that Pearl is a watch cat. A couple of nights ago, just as I was falling asleep, all of a sudden she sat up, rigidly alert, and actually began growling!. I've never known her to do that! Eventually I could hear people out in the breezeway that's shared with the other units in the building. They were trying to be very quiet and I guess Pearl found that suspicious!

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 01-08-2018 at 04:56 PM.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Lord of the Arts

Nancy, you have a huge canvas!!

Annie, you know the best!!! I didn't even notice until you mentioned I actually moved the tree the day before to a new place in the living room because I needed the other space for computer table. That explains it she didn't like the new arrangement. Besides the tree is now blocking one of her fav windows although she has many of them but that explains sudden change in behavior. Oh, I can tell you she doesn't have 'a bit of a little devil about her' she has A LOT (call it double devil) - I don't tell you guys even half of stuff she does. But we get along.
She will have soon a little "exhibition" in my last one month painting exhibition place. The painting exhibit coordinator has two beautiful cats and organizes every year "a cat exhibition" to the people (mostly senior citizen) who live there and she explained there will be tables to all cats but I told her Muffin might not stay seated on a table more than two seconds and she answered there's been cats like that before but I think we can stay on the hall way and welcome people in. I can imagine the shouting (she thinks she's talking) there will be going on when she gets to same space with other cats. I might make a video of that!
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 07:01 PM
Lord of the Arts

WOW, Annie, you sold five paintings!
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 09:05 PM
A Local Legend

Annie, ocngrats on the sales, that is awesome! I know what you mean about losing inventory. I was thrilled to sell some lately too, but it means less to show when I don't have time to build that inventory back up. Quite a conundrum.

Mosc, I hope you get a chance to video Muffin as a greeter, shouting and all!

It is getting dark now, but I let the cats sit out on the patio with me when I got home, and had a hot cup of tea.

The rain is supposed to start tonight.