WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Fort St. John, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Re: Portrait of My Daughter - WIP

Haha, this is the method that people use to find moving celestial objects like planets and comets... a photo of the sky, then another picture a certain time later.. anything different from one picture to the next appears to 'move'....[/quote]

Omg! How did you do that?! Thatís soooo cool.

I worked on it a little more but got frustrated again. I guess thereís no shortcuts to learning. Iím not going to become a portrait artist after 6 hours I guess. Lol

Iím going to use your example and see if I can get this painting back on track.

Thanks again!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 PM

Hails from Canada

@gigalot- thank you for your comment. Yes, sadly my reference photo isnít the greatest.

@Dcam-thanks for the encouragement! Luckily (?) for me itís freezing cold so Iím stuck indoors. Great excuse to work on it again. I think it might be summer by the time itís where I want it to be. Lol!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox75
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch1946
Haha, this is the method that people use to find moving celestial objects like planets and comets... a photo of the sky, then another picture a certain time later.. anything different from one picture to the next appears to 'move'....

Omg! How did you do that?! Thatís soooo cool.

I worked on it a little more but got frustrated again. I guess thereís no shortcuts to learning. Iím not going to become a portrait artist after 6 hours I guess. Lol

Iím going to use your example and see if I can get this painting back on track.

Thanks again!

Haha, it's moderately simple really if you're reasonably familiar with graphics and software; you could use any good (advanced) image editing program like Photoshop or GIMP... Not sure how to do it in Photoshop, but I used GIMP

With GIMP, there is an addon called GIMP GAP
The whole subject of gimp and gifs is pretty vast, but there's a gezillion tutorials and help available on the internet... here's one with a pretty good overview:
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/0...animated-gifs/

Very briefly, make a path around the head and face in both the painting and the reference photo, then make 'selection from path', copy, paste as new layer, scale and position the new 'face' layers to fit over the painting...

then do a bit of clone editing to remove any of the painting's face profile from the 'background'.. so the background has no 'face' or 'head' visible.

so you end up with two isolated images as separate 'deep etched' layers sitting over the painting as a 'background'.. so from the top down, you have:
1. a reference photo face with no background, then
2. the painting face with no background, then
3. the 'background' with no face....

These exist as 'layers' in the one gimp file.
4. Then you use a menu option to 'optimise for gif'
5. Then File->export as gif

A dialog will pop up with a checkbox 'as animation'
6. Then there's some options, one of which is how long to display each 'frame' of your animated gif.. I chose 500 milliseconds so each frame will show for half a second...

You could have even longer time intervals by repeating frames, ie duplicate each layer a few times to get the painting face to show for say two seconds and then the reference face to show for two seconds... so the gimp file would have say four frames at 500 ms each, then the reference face would have four frames at 500 ms each.. the full file would then have nine layers, the background plus eight layers/frames starting with the bottom layer the background, then four layers of painting face, then four layers of reference face...

Then in most software, like email readers or browsers, the animated gif handles as if it was just an image, in this example animated gif I made, the browser shows the 'background' always, and then the painting 'face' for half a second, and then the reference photo 'face' for half a second.

In your painting, you have an incorrect slight indentation just between the cheek and the chin on the very profile edge of the face, which should be adjusted carefully, also the shading under the bottom edge of the chin, and then the 'makeup' effect of the darkness and position of the dark shapes around the eyes need adjusting, and also the darkness and shape and position of the eyebrows, then the size and position of your daughter's right eye needs careful adjusting, as Gigalot points out, the face is slightly distorted by a short focal length lens, so that the near eye is bigger than the far away eye..

However, the distortion is not the main issue, it's accurately mapping the visible features... careful balancing of all features with relative shapes and sizes and values..

Coloring is not as important as relative values.. the same face will look fine all the way from grayscale to full colour, and can appear fine in completely different lighting.. but the values, ie how light and dark each tiny shape is, affect whether the face looks 'right'.. we all have advanced facial recognition built in... isn't it amazing how we can 'recognise' someone's face even after maybe forty or fifty years?

We can just 'see' that an image is say, Elvis or Frank Sinatra.. without even thinking too much about 'how' or 'why' can I tell them apart?

Last edited by sketch1946 : 01-11-2018 at 03:58 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2018, 05:56 PM

Hails from Canada

Haha, this is the method that people use to find moving celestial objects like planets and comets... a photo of the sky, then another picture a certain time later.. anything different from one picture to the next appears to 'move'....[/quote]

Thank you so much for this!! Itís sooooo helpful!
I think I may actually be able to make some progress. I need to learn how to do this for my future portraits until Iím good enough to do it by eye.

Love your portraits of the little girls! They are so cute!!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2018, 06:02 PM

Hails from Canada

@sketch1946 - yes! I totally understand what you mean about values. Theyíre so important. Iíve learned so much about values since starting oil painting.

I have used GIMP before. I had no idea it could do that. Iíll be trying it out for sure! Iíll be a portrait artist in no time!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2018, 07:09 PM

Haha, I was thinking about what I said earlier, about this amazing ability most people have to recognise faces.. then I thought, I wonder how good image recognition is getting these days using google?

ie... a test of our human facial recognition vs artificial 'intelligence' ???

so I tried a test, searching for a similar or identical image on the web using 'image search' addon for firefox...

(I searched using one of my paintings of an african lady..)

the results are hilarious...
google images search says
'best guess: a head'

mmm rrr..right...

The fast search for 'similar images' through more than 35 billion images
returned these amazing search results:

A European man with a tiger painted on his face, a clown, Stalin, Jesus, Mona Lisa, Pablo Picasso, Morgan Freeman, the Delai Lama, Botticelli's Venus, a painting from Russia of the head of an apostle, an Arabian Sheikh, Confucious complete with long hairy eyebrows and droopy beard and skull cap, Mr Burns the evil owner of the Nuclear Power Plant, and Abraham Lincoln, plus hundreds more less 'similar' faces...

mmm... makes you wonder about this 'facial recognition' software we hear about so often...
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2018, 08:17 AM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch1946

mmm... makes you wonder about this 'facial recognition' software we hear about so often...

Keeps mistaking me for George Clooney. I'm fed up of it. 😉
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2018, 06:49 PM

Hails from Canada

@sketch1946- thatís funny! Oh google...you silly thing.

@ianuk- I know what you mean....I keep getting Jennifer Anniston. I wish! Iím too afraid to see what it would come up with. Probably homeless crazy cat lady....I donít even like cats. Hahaha
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2018, 02:41 PM

Hails from Canada

Here's the latest version using all the amazing suggestions I've received.
It is still very much in progress but I think it has improved. At least its heading in a better direction. I still have a TON to learn but I'll get there!

I still don't like her chin.....or lips
Attached Images

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2018, 06:14 AM

keep going! You're going great...

The big trick is to see that all the edges have a value and colour, it's not enough to just get them in the right place...

so if an edge is too light or too dark, it will not do its job to 'carve' out the virtual clay of the skin... it's like in a portrait bust modeled or carved in clay, each shape like the lips or the eyelids, have to be carved to a certain depth...

the values and shapes and colours of the face make a sort of virtual curved surface, so each tiny part of the face, especially the **edges of nostrils, lips and eyes have to be carefully 'curved' using colour and value only... each shape has to be related to the way the shape of the skin curves around relative to the viewer's eye... the desirable effect is for the skin to appear to curve around and 'go into' the canvas... so great attention has to be spent on the apparent colour and modeling of the edges..

The relative lightness and darkness of the larger surfaces like the main parts of the cheeks and forehead etc, need to combine to make the face look rounded, a curved solid shape in space... at the moment the values are all a little flat...

The only way I can describe it is to 'feel' the edges as you paint them, 'feel' the surfaces go around the edges....

If it helps, I put some one pixel dots in a few crucial spots.. to help with seeing the fine
tuning... see how the lobe of the ear moves, also notice the top edge of the hair...