WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 10:43 PM
Fort St. John, British Columbia

Hails from Canada
Portrait of My Daughter - WIP

I am officially addicted to oil painting! LOL

I've been stuck at home with a terrible cold and freezing northern Canadian temperatures.

Started painting a jar of marbles yesterday and decided today that while I was a beginner with oils I may as well paint my first portrait as well. This one has a LONG way to go but for a first sitting I expected it to be much worse.

Used a picture of my daughter and her boyfriend (now ex) from grad. Painted him out of the pic. LOL

Any advice on how to paint amazing eyes would be much appreciated! She has the most amazing blue eyes and if I can get them right the painting will be a success!

I'm also not sure about the background color that I chose. I was going for a kind of classic portrait feeling but it might be too dark?

Please be ruthless with your C&C! I can handle it! LOL
Thank you soooo much!!
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 10:45 PM

Hails from Canada
Re: Portrait of My Daughter - WIP

Ugh. Have you ever posted a painting and then saw ALL the problems with it and then regretted posting it? LOL
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member

Sometimes if you take a photo it shows the flaws in general. A bit like a fresh take on it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 10:16 AM

Left eye, to much white. This is going to be awesome. Good job.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 10:25 AM

Hails from Canada

I think from now on I will look at photos of my paintings to see what needs work instead of just looking at it. Very useful!

@kin3- you are absolutely right. Her eyes are much too white. I hope to work on it some more today. Thank you so much!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2017, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

I like to put a grid over the photo and over the painting surface, so that I get the proportions right. You could also do it at this point to see where there are slight errors. They are quite subtle, but necessary to achieve a likeness.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2018, 06:32 PM

Hails from England

Looking great!

I find it useful to pull the painting into Photoshop and layer it over the photograph to check for slight geometry problems.

The left side of her left eye could do with being angled down slightly. And it could do with more value range in the fleshtones - darker darks and lighter darks to give it more contrast.

But a great painting in the making - nicely done.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2018, 09:07 PM

Hails from Canada

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I think that's what bothering me. The drawing is a little off. If you don't get the eyes perfect the whole portrait looks bad. LOL
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2018, 12:02 AM

Eric's suggestion is good if you want to find where some measurements need tweaking...
the differences are very tiny sometimes

the visible shapes and colours of the whites of the eyes are good to start with...

also a very tight look at verticals and horizontals...

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 05:18 PM

Hails from Canada

@sketch1946- Oh my gosh. This is soooo helpful!! I cant thank you enough for this!

This is why I've avoided portraits. Your drawing has to be perfect. Now that I have this little trick I can start working on this painting again.

I am very grateful for you taking the time to demonstrate. Bless You!!!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox75
@sketch1946- Oh my gosh. This is soooo helpful!! I cant thank you enough for this!

This is why I've avoided portraits. Your drawing has to be perfect. Now that I have this little trick I can start working on this painting again.

I am very grateful for you taking the time to demonstrate. Bless You!!!

Haha, you're most welcome...
You are almost right about the drawing having to be perfect... the most important thing with the drawing is that it has to be proportionally correct... if there's a deviation it has to be progressive.. think about how some political cartoons can keep a likeness, but exaggerate various features...

With the modelling, aka the shading of the face, it's important to **feel** your way around edges, try to make them curve into the painting surface, as if you are sculpting in 3D... but without losing the 2D shapes, ie the height and width of each shape

... so that the folds around the eyes have form, width, and colour, and they too have edges.. they appear to be curved, but each tiny shape has its own height and width, it's necessary to learn to look very carefully, but most important to **see what you're looking at...

With your daughter, maybe think of how different a woman looks with and without makeup
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2018, 11:54 PM

Hails from Canada

[quote=sketch1946]Haha, you're most welcome...
You are almost right about the drawing having to be perfect... the most important thing with the drawing is that it has to be proportionally correct... if there's a deviation it has to be progressive.. think about how some political cartoons can keep a likeness, but exaggerate various features...

You are so right! I have painted animals exclusively up to this point and I think when I am able to do beautiful, accurate portraits, I will consider myself a true artist.

Itís harder than it looks! Lol

I think her chin looks much too heavy. I must have the shadow in the wrong spot. Canít wait to fix up her eyes and see how the next sitting goes.

Thanks again for you help!!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 04:12 AM

Haha, this is the method that people use to find moving celestial objects like planets and comets... a photo of the sky, then another picture a certain time later.. anything different from one picture to the next appears to 'move'....

Last edited by sketch1946 : 01-07-2018 at 05:03 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 09:59 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Short focal lens gives ugly geometry distortions. Portrait quality lens must have about 85 mm focal (adapted to 35 mm films) and photography must be took from the distance, optimal to this 85 mm lens.
Unfortunately, modern Smart phones have wrong quality for that... But cheap regular Photo-Cams with 3X optical zoom Lens can do the job.

I have a friend, who can draw portrait very quickly with perfect accuracy. But his main trouble is low quality of source picture. He tried to draw portraits 5-6 times and got superb precision for me. But reference pictures were badly distorted. For any of professional photographers, such pictures have less than zero quality. Photographer must burn such pictures because he will lose respect if anybody received such photos!

Highest quality photography can look like this:
Attached Images

Last edited by Gigalot : 01-07-2018 at 10:38 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 04:01 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Unlike landscapes which are so forgiving, the portrait is very demanding. You are doing great, keep it up, do more. They will only get better.