WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2019, 08:28 AM
A Local Legend
Charles City, Iowa

Hails from United States
Drawing table

Greetings and Salutations!

My drawing table is in it's last legs (no pun intended). I have already had to reengineer it and repair it, and I don't think it is worth my time to go at it a third time. I will give it a patch with Gorilla glue to buy me a little breathing room, but that is the extent of my effort.

I am looking for recommendations for a new drawing table or stand. My basic requirements are a modest footprint ( I have limited space) and it rises up enough that I can work standing ( which is my preference, especially for longer periods of time).

Thanks in advance

“What a genius, that Picasso. It is a pity he doesn't paint.” - Marc Chagall
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada
Re: Drawing table

Perhaps a Richeson Italian Steel Tripod Easel would suit your purposes? I often use mine, with a drawing board, for that. Just be careful if you order one from a third party seller, there’s quite a few knock-offs that aren’t well made. But the real ones last for years, my previous one endured 22 years of pretty rough treatment before giving up the ghost.

https://products.richesonart.com/products/steel-easels

Cheers,
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2019, 12:39 PM
A Local Legend
Århus

Hails from Denmark

Do you need an easel, a drafting table, or something else? If a drafting table, you can get one that lowers and raises via a button. They are expensive, but we bought one at a used office furniture store. They get them from businesses going out of business for cheap and resell them for about 1/3 the price of new. Ours have a few scratches on it, but the raising and lowering mechanism works perfectly. That's good for the environment since it is a recycled item.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2019, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada

If you're great at making things here's an alternative and maybe save some money in the process. https://www.instructables.com/howto/table+for+artists/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 04:15 PM
A Local Legend
Charles City, Iowa

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_tabby
If you're great at making things here's an alternative and maybe save some money in the process. https://www.instructables.com/howto/table+for+artists/

I have looked at some of those and some other DIY options. Problems are time ( what little art time I have, I am trying to create art not build furniture. And space. What I have is my small studio space and trying to build something will interfere with everything else I do here, and completely disrupt my workspace.

And thirdly, is ready access to my carpentry tools. The majority of which are packed securely away since our last move.

Andrew

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 04:22 PM
A Local Legend
Charles City, Iowa

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR
Do you need an easel, a drafting table, or something else? If a drafting table, you can get one that lowers and raises via a button. They are expensive, but we bought one at a used office furniture store. They get them from businesses going out of business for cheap and resell them for about 1/3 the price of new. Ours have a few scratches on it, but the raising and lowering mechanism works perfectly. That's good for the environment since it is a recycled item.

Older style drawing/drafting table. A full-size one is too big for my space. My old one had a complete 90° range of movement on a simple double pedestal base. I am trying to do my drawing on my easel currently, and not as much fun as I was hoping. Lacks the same all around stability.

Andrew

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2019, 06:22 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

I had a drawing table which as I remember was not very expensive and perfect for my needs. I can't remember what it was or where I bought it. I no longer have it, but would like another the same.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2019, 02:24 PM
A Local Legend
Charles City, Iowa

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuk
I had a drawing table which as I remember was not very expensive and perfect for my needs. I can't remember what it was or where I bought it. I no longer have it, but would like another the same.

Basically that is what I had, only a bit taller.

Back in the day, I had a full-sized professional drafting table. I miss it A LOT! But I don't have near the space for it. I have seen a few come up at auctions for next to nothing and still don't sell as they are so big and heavy.

Andrew

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2019, 01:40 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Basically that is what I had, only a bit taller.

Back in the day, I had a full-sized professional drafting table. I miss it A LOT! But I don't have near the space for it. I have seen a few come up at auctions for next to nothing and still don't sell as they are so big and heavy.

Andrew

Space is key to everything art related, someone once told my wife, a football pitch wouldn't be big enough for him! Meaning me...