Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery Quick Self Portrait

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    michaeljarman

I finally took the leap, painting the inevitable – a self portrait 😃. This was painted rather quickly and loosely, of course.

water girl

Well done!!!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Cliff sayer

Good portrait, I’m assuming it’s watercolour/gouache? Looks great anyway

Humburger

I will assume it is pastel and say it is really very good. I really like it.

Ginny
                    www.virginiacmccoy.com
                    C & C Welcome

michaeljarman

Thank you, Karen, Cliff and Ginny!

Cliff, this is a soft pastel sketch :)

franglais

Very nicely done, Michael. You said “quickly done.” How long would you estimate you spent on it?

michaeljarman

Hi Mike! Thank you :)

So maybe 4-5 hours…(?) not as quickly as some who may do a sketch in.. a half hour, for instance :)

Ron

This is great, seriously…. I’ve not had the courage to do myself yet…perhaps you’ve inspired me to do so!

michaeljarman

Thank you, Ron! Go ahead and take the next step! :)

franglais

As a member of WetCanvas who was away for quite awhile and who has recently succumbed to the addiction of pastels, I took a moment to look at some of the works you have previously posted. Beautiful stuff! You are a wonderful portrait artist. Thank you for sharing the “4-5 hours.” I still that is quite remarkable. Do you usually paint from photos or from life?

Mike

michaeljarman

Hi Mike! Thank you for your very encouraging words :)

I usually paint from photo references, although a number of my paintings are of family members, so I have opportunity to double check features difficult to detect from photos alone :)

Donna T

Wonderful portrait, Michael! I really like the interest created by the contrast of the finished vs. lesser-finished areas. It brings all of our attention to the face – which I would definitely recognize if I ever saw you in person!

Donna
                                                    C&C Always Welcome

michaeljarman

Thank you so much, Donna :) !

Soitainly

Really nice. It’s sketchy and loose, but with great draughtsmanship.

michaeljarman

Thank you so much, Soitainly ! :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.