Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    IsobelW

Bought some Primeart pastels a while ago, which were very disappointing (I’ve bought Primeart paints which worked well enough for me) but also brought a few earth tone Carre sticks. Thinking of buying more when I can afford them, they’re great. This is just a practice sketch right now, working on shape and values, but I might develop it more. Sorry about the poor reference photo,

artelahe

:) I love the articulation in your leaves, Isobel :thumbsup:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            AlyP
            I have a white dog and lots of pastels...but are any of them the right color when I need them to be?

apagefineart.com[/SIZE]

water girl

Your still life looks good, as is. I’m not familiar with Carre personally, but suspect they may be a semi hard pastel. If that is the case, you make like to use them as your first layer in future paintings. You can then go over them with a soft pastel like Rembrandt. I’m not sure which brands are available to you. Just keep going.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

IsobelW

Thanks Water girl and artelahe

Donna T

What an interesting subject to study, Isobel; all of those pointy leaves! If this is your plant you might find it more helpful to observe it from life if you are going to study its shapes and values. There’s nothing like strong, direct light to really show how something is shaped.

Donna
                        C&C Always Welcome

PeggyB

Nice movement in your leaves and the shape of the pot. I happen to like the Carre pastels too. :)

Your still life looks good, as is. I’m not familiar with Carre personally, but suspect they may be a semi hard pastel. If that is the case, you make like to use them as your first layer in future paintings. You can then go over them with a soft pastel like Rembrandt. I’m not sure which brands are available to you. Just keep going.

Karen I think the “Carre” pastels are fully named Cretacolor Carre. They are similar in size and shape to NuPastels, but somewhat softer. They have more pigment than NuPastel so also a bit more expensive, but still affordable. Look at Jerry’s Artarama for a comparison of the two. I bought the entire set there when on a super sale, and haven’t been disappointed.

Peggy Braeutigam, IAPS/MC
                            www.peggybraeutigam.com

water girl

Thanks, Peggy. I’ll look into that. Some of the NuPastels are extremely hard. A softer version would be great.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

IsobelW

Thanks Peggy and Donna!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.