Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Drawing thread for MayJune 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 155 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone! I’ll be challenging you to draw another masterpiece this month as Ken isn’t feeling well enough yet.
    My choice of subject is flowers, leaves and fruit.
    Using photo programs like gimp, Photoshop, FastStoneImageViewer,etc are tools that help the artist to plan, compose and adjust. In these programs there are the contrast, curves, dark/light, sharpen, blur tools which can be used. It can become tricky sometimes, to get a believable yet eye catching and attractive b/w version of some photos.

My first subject is a photo from Oldrockchick of variegated leaves.The first greyscale photo is as is without any adjustments. The next 2 photos are variations.

Another example from Blackhorse

An orchid from Lisilk

Christel

Here are some more references to choose from.
    Orchards from Lisilk

Sunflower bud from lisilk

Pomegranate from faafil

Backlit leaves from Snowgoose

Sago plum crown from egoodwil

Rose by IanZA pixabay

Feel free to use any of these references or choose your own posting your reference photo when submitting your art work.

Christel

Anonymous

Thank you for hosting, Christel :)

:thumbsup:

Christel

IsobelW

Great pictures! I feel quite out of practice with drawing. The leaf was a quick charcoal sketch. Not sure about the sunflowers, but I decided to upload the picture anyway. Sometimes I think charcoal has a mind of it’s own:lol:, but it can be fun.

Isobel – great going. Good shapes to both drawings.
            What size are the drawings?
            Did you use pastel for the sunflower? You could try to blend the charcoal in the background more with a tortillion or stub to make a smoother background, which in turn will help to make the sunflower stand out.
            What charcoal and paper are you using? I like vine charcoal as it has sharp edges for the detailing.

Christel

IsobelW

Thanks Christel! They were both done on A4 sketching paper. I used different charcoals, mostly willow, some compressed. Also sepia and sanguine pastel pencils.

talisman

Great textures on these.
                    I’ll try one of them, a good challenge!

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                    C and C always welcome.
                    My DeviantArt Gallery

Thanks Dianna. Looking forward to seeing your drawing.

Christel

Thanks for standing in for Ken, CHristel. I will try to draw one of these this month. Do we use only graphite, as we did with Ken?

Penny
                    I live in Wiltshire, England
                    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

That’s great, Penny. You can use charcoal too or even cp and pen but let’s keep it in monochrome.

Christel

👍. I’ve found a pencil with no markings on it and wonder whether it’s charcoal in a cover. It’s coming out very dark. I’m using it for the background. It’s messy and smudgy, though!

Penny
                    I live in Wiltshire, England
                    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

IsobelW

Another quick charcoal sketch. A5. The paper is actually white, but looks grey in the photo.

Penny – messy and smudgy is the appropriate description for it:lol:
                        7×10 using willow sticks, hard charcoal pencil, tortillion and kneeded rubber.

Christel

Great going, Isobel. You can still go back and refine it even more. Use a very light touch for the finer details.

Christel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 155 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.