Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Portrait of My Father WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    JAHT

Hi everyone, I haven’t posted anything in a while, but I figured I’d do so now. Last year, my father came to visit, so I got some pictures of him. After completing a portrait of my mother, he decided that he wanted one too.:lol:
        I started it in January, I figured I’d show it to him on his birthday, it’s still a work in progress, but he’s very happy with it.
        I used Pan Pastels on Arches 140 lb rough watercolour paper, coated with clear Colourfix Primer, as an underpainting, and then started using a mix of Polychromos and Luminance pencils.
        Comments and Critiques are welcome.

Jewel:)

JAHT

The second photo was taken around sunrise, so the drawing (painting?) appears more yellow than in reality.

JAHT

Here’s the original picture of him and myself:

JAHT

Here’s a better picture of the drawing

Wassie

Very good. You’ve captured his character. I like it a lot. I’m sure he will love it.

Penny
                        I live in Wiltshire, England
                        “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

cwsco

awesome work!

NikkiL

Wonderful work, I love the way you did his eyes. And the lighting is really great, so softly done. I know he’ll be forever grateful for this portrait :)

Creativity is contagious, pass it on. Albert Einstein

JAHT

Thank you for the replies. I don’t normally do portraits (in fact, this is my second time trying to draw one in coloured pencil), but I have some questions: How do you draw clothing? How to fade out the shirt on the sides and on the bottom?
                                    Also should I put a background on this, and if so, what kind would work best?
                                    Thank you.

Winnieike2

Oh WOW!!! That’s wonderful! It’s so colorful… I love all the purple and blue hues. I bet he’s one proud papa! ❤️

KaySilver

I’m not experienced enough to help you with your questions, but that’s a great looking portrait – full of character and life. Really lovely! :)

Pingpongfan

Turned out really well. I have never tried to draw a portrait. This one looks so good that I think if you just look carefully at the clothing you will master drawing that too. I don’t think I would colour the background. You could try making a colour photocopy of this and do a background on the copy as a test.
                                                Vena

frida

That’s a wonderful portrait Jewel!!! :clap: And only your second “try” with CP???

For the clothes just practice on a spare piece of the same paper to see how you’d need to reduce the pencil pressure, or go on to a lighter shade… With the shirt fading I don’t see the need for a background.

Vena’s suggestion of the colour copy is great, and would help you decide on a BG colour. If you decide to make it, make it light, and never as a “halo” around the figure.

Looking forward to see the proud daddy portrait finished, and anything else you do after! :thumbsup:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

brissie

Love what you’ve done and wouldn’t do a background let the portrait make the statement.
                                                        As to the shirt you would vignette it.
                                                        Many artist who use graphite use whats called a “drycleaning eraser pad” to lightly rub back the lower area so it fades into a vignette look. You could do that with coloured pencils too.

ocmd123

Well if Mom gets one……:lol: :lol: You are doing great work on this. And I love the reference shot of the two of you. It gives context to the look of joy on your father’s face in the portrait. Daughter love. :)

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                                                            Instagram

Save

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.