Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals monoprinting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhere

I bought some Georgian block printing medium to try so I could print with my oil paints. It seems pretty good when trying a couple of monoprints with it. Anyone else use it? I worked into it a bit with watercolour washes and pencil as I was only using cartridge paper and hadn’t soaked it so the print could have been better. I’ve done a few with the sun setting over the sea so thought I’d play with a darker one with the moon.

That yellowy blob in the middle isn’t there,

One of the topics in my group for the sketchbook exchange is songs/poetry. With this one, if I were to use it, I’m torn between Rudyard Kipling about smugglers (though they worked on moonless nights) ‘watch the wall my darling while the gentlemen go by’ with their brandy for the Parson and baccy for the Clerk ….. or ‘I must go down to the sea again’ …. John Masefield … or the wonderful voice of Richard Burton in my mind reading Under Milk Wood (though again that mentions a moonless night) ‘sloe black, slow black, crow black night’ love that. If you don’t know it look for Richard Burton reading it on you tube. Dylan Thomas reading his own work is prissy and mannered, Richard Burton reading it is unforgettable :)

Delofasht

I have not much gotten into printing outside of what I needed to know to get decent quality prints made at the printshop. Do we have a sub forum here on printmaking?

- Delo Delofasht
            vhere

I have not much gotten into printing outside of what I needed to know to get decent quality prints made at the printshop. Do we have a sub forum here on printmaking?

yes – but this is monoprinting – much more like painting. Just a one-off. The printmaking forum is really good but more about lino print, etching, lithography etc, which means you get several prints from one plate but need the proper equipment like a press for the pressure needed to print. I’ve done this in the past but they are long processes and a lot of standing involved and that causes me a lot of pain so don’t do them any more. I’ve also worked into it, which youj don’t usually do with those traditional, more formal printmaking processes.

This is nothing like repro prints from a copy shop.

Delofasht

This is nothing like repro prints from a copy shop.

Oh good, much prefer hand pulling a print with a custom made plate anyhow, though it isn’t quite what want needs when doing reproductions. A truly unique one of print seems like a fascinating idea to me, especially when combined with taking the work a bit further by painting into that. Going to have to learn about all kinds of more printmaking stuff sometime in the next few years. That really is the beauty of art, always more to learn.

- Delo Delofasht
                    eyepaint

So good!!! :)

-- EP Moderator for:
                        All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Joan T

You do well with such a variety of media!!!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

vhere

You do well with such a variety of media!!!

thanks Joan – I have this endless curiosity! and have never subscribed to the idea of perfecting one medium before trying others. What I learn in one feeds into others and I think it must be hard to have rigidly stuck to one idea of mark making etc with one medium and then try to learn a new one, rather than let it all develop at the same time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.