Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Plein Air Hall of Fame Palm Box Kit…for car and inconspicuous painting!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Marc Hanson

I spent Thursday afternoon wanting to be outside but just not feeling up to layering on all the clothes required to go out for a couple of hours. But we have fresh snow, and sun, and not painting this is a tragedy with all of the spectacular color out there waiting. Knowing the car is the solution I looked at my larger painting supplies and thought that it would be nice to have a small, easy to use set up.

I already have (built or purchased) more than enough painting equipment, mostly built. But for car painting, or for painting on a street corner as unnoticed as possible I felt I needed a small ‘lightweight’ palm box. I have a 6×9 that I built a number of years ago, but it’s too heavy to hold in hand, makes the old wrist ache. That one could hold some paint tubes, and brushes in the box with the handles cut down.

So I started looking at the Open Box M palm boxes, the 6×8 size. I figure that if I’m going to be sneaking around with this thing, trying to paint without being noticed, or painting in the limited space of the front seat of the car then the largest size to work that makes sense is about 6×8. OBM makes a beautiful little box, but WAY out of my budget right now…and if I was going to bust the budget, I’d get the new “American Easel” (I submitted the “Wide Open” as a name, but lost:crying:)), from them.

That only left scrounging around the wood pile and thinking about making my own. That’s what I did. I have no idea how they make the spring loaded device, but I came up with my own solution and it works very well. It’s basically a brass rod, a spring and a retaining nut to hold the spring on. Only holds 6×8 or 8×6 but that’s all I need. It measures 8.25″Lx 7″W x 1.50″D. The depth of the actual palette well is 3/4″ with a piece of plexi in there and has a 7″x6″ mixing area. Weighs less than the full can of D. Mountain Dew I’ve included for scale. The ply is 1/8″ Baltic birch from the hobby store, and poplar stock from the local lumber store. I finished it with Deft ‘natural’ Danish oil and added a 1-1/2″ shoulder strap with a 3 point attachment system and 1-1/2″ ‘overall buckles’ that attach to screwed on 10/32 Knurled nuts. The strap works very well for relieving some burden when standing and holding the palm box. It makes it very light weight and easy on the wrist and forearm. Doesn’t support the weight but adds a little counter balanced force that helps. Here it all is, about 6 hours build time, including running around to find what would work for hardware and for the finish dry time.

All the required supplies fit into the small shoulder bag from Target. The paint tube and pop can are there for scale. Following the equipment photos is the first 6×8 from the car yesterday afternoon using the box.

Those are 6×8 canvas panels. In the plastic box with the paint is my metal turp container from Holbein. I’ve had that for years and it is a treasure. Never leaks. Yes there are more colors of paint than I’m using…just in case!

The ‘Turpenoid’ can is from the one time I spent that kind of money on the stuff. It’s a small enough can to fit in a small space so I just refill it with hardware store variety odorless mineral spirits. It fit into my bag just right.

This is the backside of the lid. I had to use larger screws than came with the hinges because the supplied screws are too light weight and pull out easily. The heads on the screws used are too large and don’t look good cosmetically but do the job. Part of the problem is that the wood stock is so thin that it requires pretty lightweight hardware, but it has to hold. I suppose anyone in a larger metro area could find the right stuff, but in the hardware stores here the supply is all the same, from China and cheap.

The underside.

Painted across the road from a cornfield that is a favorite feeding area for several thousand Giant Canada Geese each evening. Lights in the building came on as I was painting! Nice of them.
        “Geese Coming, Geese Going.”- oil/canvas, 6″x8″, 1hour, limited palette + yellow ochre light.

Pars

I am so, so jealous of your multiple talents! I really want a light weight pochade box but none really suits. I wish I could make one. This one looks terrific and the painting ain’t hay. :evil:

Zoe

Marc,

Nice work…I like the cool, violet tones and the composition that works so well in a small format.

Your palm box is nice too. :)

– Ann

The world steps aside for any man if he knows where he is going.

Nice painting and nice box.

I’ve been thinking about painting in the car myself. I was wondering if anyone has tried to design something that hangs or attaches in some way from the steering wheel on which one could put a regular size panel. A palette panel could flop down from it into your lap. The steering wheel in my car (a Honda) can readjust in ways to accommodate such a device.

I’ve never tried this and I’ve never heard of it. I wonder if that’s because it’s a bad idea.

Anyone tried it or have any ideas?

Richard

Lorijo

The box and painting look great Marc! The geese are very cool, I only get to see them if I take a vacation. They don’t come this far south.

I use a box made from a wood cigar box, Loretta Louviere made it for me, its 7 1/2 x 5, 3 inches deep. I love it and use it all the time, great for in the car. Lori

Marc Hanson

Zoe if you saw the ‘scrap’ pile you’d understand how much trial and error go into my projects. Not much talent there. Thanks though.

Ann- Thank you.

Richard- I’ve thought of that too and have known another painter or two who’ve tried that, but was along time ago.
                    Part of the problem painting in the car is cast shadow and of course sun light. Position of your panel/palette is dependent on where the sun is shining and casting shadows.
                    If you only have the steering wheel’s position for the painting surface to be on you might end up in a situation where you have a shadow across the panel making it tough to work. Using a more moveable easel let’s you shift around to avoid the problem.
                    I carry those shades for the kiddies with suction cups to block out light and they help, but you never know how the car’s going to be parked with respect to the subject and the light.

JamieWG

Marc, what a beautiful box! I’m so glad you made one, because now we’ll all be treated to the fruits of your labor. If this painting is the beginning, it bodes well for my visual enjoyment this winter!

I have an 8×10 pochade box that I use for car painting. To paint smaller, like 6×8″, I just masking tape the back of the panel to the inside of the box lid where an 8×10 would go. I’ve found it useful not only for car painting, but also for doing a small painting sitting down at the end of a long plein air day of standing, painting out the windows at home, and also when doing a small painting from a photo I put the pic up on the computer screen and set the box down next to it. So, I’ve been using mine both indoors and outdoors. I love it to pieces.

I have a feeling that this is another one of your threads that is destined for the Hall of Fame. ;)

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                        Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                        [/url]
                        One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Marc Hanson

Marc, what a beautiful box! I’m so glad you made one, because now we’ll all be treated to the fruits of your labor. If this painting is the beginning, it bodes well for my visual enjoyment this winter!

I have an 8×10 pochade box that I use for car painting. To paint smaller, like 6×8″, I just masking tape the back of the panel to the inside of the box lid where an 8×10 would go. I’ve found it useful not only for car painting, but also for doing a small painting sitting down at the end of a long plein air day of standing, painting out the windows at home, and also when doing a small painting from a photo I put the pic up on the computer screen and set the box down next to it. So, I’ve been using mine both indoors and outdoors. I love it to pieces.

I have a feeling that this is another one of your threads that is destined for the Hall of Fame. ;)

Jamie

Thanks Jamie. This is probably overkill for me because I also have several smaller pochade boxes I could have used.
                            But they’re all heavier and not easy to hold in hand for long.

My hope is that this one, which is feather weight, will allow me to stand in some spot I wouldn’t normally go with the tripod and other gear and paint standing or sitting just holding the box for an hour or so.

I figure if I can hold a pop (or other canned beverage) for an hour at a party, I can hold this and work comfortably as it weighs less than the full can of pop, or other beverage!:wink2:

I could see this as my travel paint kit if flying somewhere with the addition of a wet panel carrier, which is next on the list, for the 6×8 size. Or just walking around some downtown area, seeing something to paint, stop take it out of the bag still on the shoulder, and paint! Now that’s geurilla painting, not as obvious, not attracting much attention.

It opens up some subject matter that until now I’ve been reluctant to paint because of what it takes to set up the larger equipment. We’ll see.

Marc Hanson

Thought I would show this as used standing, minus the shoulder strap, just to show it’s minimal impact. Meaning it isn’t any more than a mixing and panel holding piece of equipment.

This is probably a more accurate color photo of the painting by the way! :-)

midcoast

Wow Marc –

Beautiful pochade box and beautiful painting! Watch out Open Box M!!!

Nancy

Sandra-D

Marc, You are so generous ( and cleaver) with your knowledge and expertese, thank you for sharing.

I always look forward to your posts. Great inspiration.

blondheim12

Marc,
                                            It looks fabulous. A friend of mine has the OBM palm box and it is dandy, but too rich for my blood. I have my eye on the new Guerilla palm box, which would be perfect for me to sit in the car with. I have no building skills alas.

The painting is fabulous as usual.
                                            Love,
                                            Linda

Linda Blondheim Art
                                            http://www.lindablondheim.com
                                            Blondheim Art and Stories
                                            http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

Marc Hanson

Thanks Nancy. I sure don’t want to imply that my inspiration isn’t a result of ‘wanting’ the OPBM product, and mine is a poor imitation of it. Those are beautiful, this is budget minded and practical, but no competition!:D

Sandra- As the saying goes…”Necessity is….”.

Linda, thanks. I understand the building problem. And I agree that the little boxes are proportionately very expensive, too much for me too. I spent $25.00 on the wood and hardware, and considering what artists per hour wages are…this was cheap. When I see that, I just have a hard time not trying these things out.

mnpainter

Marc, Genious!!!! I like it much. Do you hold it while painting? Like the photo. I have looked over the palm boxes and thought it may be tough to hold and paint at the same time? I love that painting, back at wildlife?:>)

Ben

WTPDOSA

Marc,

Terrific painting!!!
                                                        Thanks for sharing your box ideas!
                                                        I was going through my closet and found some stuff I had intended to use and make a box over a year ago. Instead I bought an EasyL Versa. I have the same hinges and other fasteners. Now I have a idea that I can use them for!!!

[FONT="Verdana"]Peace,
                                                        Fr. Tom

“The only way the artist can appeal to humanity is in the guise of the high priest. He must show people more-more than they already see-and he must show them with so much human sympathy and understanding that they will recognize it as if they themselves had seen the beauty and the glory.” ~ Charles Hawthorn [/SIZE]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Palm Box Kit…for car and inconspicuous painting!’ is closed to new replies.