Home Forums What are you reading redux

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    musket

Archy and Mehitabel, by Don Marquis. I read this stuff when I was a little kid and still love it.

Archy and Mehitabel (styled as archy and mehitabel) are the names of two fictional characters created in 1916, by Don Marquis, a columnist for The Evening Sun newspaper in New York City. Archy, a cockroach, and Mehitabel, an alley cat, appeared in hundreds of humorous verses and short stories in Marquis’ daily column, “The Sun Dial”. Their exploits were first collected in the 1927 book archy and mehitabel, which remains in print today, and in two later volumes, archys life of mehitabel (1933) and archy does his part (1935). Many editions are recognized by their iconic illustrations by George Herriman, the creator of Krazy Kat.

Marquis introduced Archy into his daily newspaper column at New York’s Evening Sun. Archy — whose name was always written in lower case in the book titles, but was upper case when Marquis would write about him in narrative form — was a cockroach who had been a free verse poet in a previous life, and took to writing stories and poems on an old typewriter at the newspaper office when everyone in the building had left. Archy would climb up onto the typewriter and hurl himself at the keys, laboriously typing out stories of the daily challenges and travails of a cockroach. Archy’s best friend was Mehitabel, an alley cat. The two of them shared a series of day-to-day adventures that made satiric commentary on daily life in the city during the 1910s and 1920s.

Because he was a cockroach, Archy was unable to operate the shift key on the typewriter (he jumped on each key to type; since using shift requires two keys to be pressed simultaneously, he physically could not use capitals), and so all of his verse was written without capitalization or punctuation. (Writing in his own persona, though, Marquis always used correct capitalization and punctuation. As E. B. White wrote in his introduction to The Lives and Times of Archy and Mehitabel, it would be incorrect to conclude that, “because Don Marquis’s cockroach was incapable of operating the shift key of a typewriter, nobody else could operate it.”)

This is Archy’s first introduction to Marquis.

expression is the need of my soul
        i was once a vers libre bard
        but i died and my soul went into the body of a cockroach
        it has given me a new outlook upon life
        i see things from the under side now
        thank you for the apple peelings in the wastepaper basket
        but your paste is getting so stale i cant eat it
        there is a cat here called mehitabel i wish you would have
        removed she nearly ate me the other night why dont she
        catch rats that is what she is supposed to be fore
        there is a rat here she should get without delay

most of these rats here are just rats
        but this rat is like me he has a human soul in him
        he used to be a poet himself
        night after night i have written poetry for you
        on your typewriter
        and this big brute of a rat who used to be a poet
        comes out of his hole when it is done
        and reads it and sniffs at it
        he is jealous of my poetry
        he used to make fun of it when we were both human
        he was a punk poet himself
        and after he has read it he sneers
        and then he eats it

i wish you would have mehitabel kill that rat
        or get a cat that is onto her job
        and i will write you a series of poems showing how things look
        to a cockroach
        that rats name is freddy
        the next time freddy dies i hope he wont be a rat
        but something smaller i hope i will be a rat
        in the next transmigration and freddy a cockroach
        i will teach him to sneer at my poetry then

dont you ever eat any sandwiches in your office
        i haven’t had a crumb of bread for i dont know how long
        or a piece of ham or anything but apple parings
        and paste and leave a piece of paper in your machine
        every night you can call me archy

Song of Mehitabel

Archy speaks the intro and outro to Marquis–“boss”–the rest is Mehitabel herself. “Toujours gai” means “always light hearted,” “gay” in the old sense of the word. I love this–wotthehell wotthehell.

this is the song of mehitabel
        of mehitabel the alley cat
        as i wrote you before boss
        mehitabel is a believer
        in the pythagorean
        theory of the transmigration
        of the soul and she claims
        that formerly her spirit
        was incarnated in the body
        of cleopatra
        that was a long time ago
        and one must not be
        surprised if mehitabel
        has forgotten some of her
        more regal manners

i have had my ups and downs
        but wotthehell wotthehell
        yesterday sceptres and crowns
        fried oysters and velvet gowns
        and today i herd with bums
        i wake the world from sleep
        as i caper and sing and leap
        when i sing my wild free tune
        wotthehell wotthehell
        under the blear eyed moon
        i am pelted with cast off shoon

do you think that i would change
        my present freedom to range
        for a castle or moated grange
        wotthehell wotthehell
        cage me and i d go frantic
        my life is so romantic
        capricious and corybantic
        and i m toujours gai toujours gai

i know that i am bound
        for a journey down the sound
        in the midst of a refuse mound
        oh i should worry and fret
        death and i will coquette
        there s a dance in the old dame yet
        toujours gai toujours gai

i once was an innocent kit
        wotthehell wotthehell
        with a ribbon my neck to fit
        and bells tied onto it
        o wotthehell wotthehell
        but a maltese cat came by
        with a come hither look in his eye
        and a song that soared to the sky
        and wotthehell wotthehell
        and i followed adown the street
        the pad of his rhythmical feet
        o permit me again to repeat
        wotthehell wotthehell

my youth i shall never forget
        but there s nothing i really regret
        wotthehell wotthehell
        there s a dance in the old dame yet

the things that i had not ought to
        i do because i ve gotto
        wotthehell wotthehell
        and i end with my favorite motto

boss sometimes i think
        that our friend mehitabel
        is a trifle too gay

stlukesguild

Hmmm… it appears nobody reads here. :lol:

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
            "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
            "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

brianvds

Hmmm… it appears nobody reads here. :lol:

On the contrary – we’re too busy reading to have time to reply to the thread. :D

I recently finished Steven Pinker’s Enlightenment Now, the greatest plea for science, reason and technology since Carl Sagan. Musket won’t like it because it is fairly optimistic about the future. :-)

OLIVE.OYL

Right now, I’m reading (and liking) this Salman Rushdie book…the first time I’ve read anything by him. It’s very…whimsically involved…and that’s my own dumb review. But here’s the Wiki description: “Inspired by Miguel de Cervantes’ classic novel Don Quixote, Quichotte is a metafiction that tells the story of an addled Indian American man who travels across America in pursuit of a celebrity television host with whom he has become obsessed.” And here’s the opening paragraph….

Chapter One: Quichotte, an old Man, falls in Love, embarks on a Quest, & becomes a Father

There once lived, at a series of temporary addresses across the United States of America, a traveling man of Indian origin, advancing years, and retreating mental powers, who, on account of his love for mindless television, had spent far too much of his life in the yellow light of tawdry motel rooms watching an excess of it, and had suffered a peculiar form of brain damage as a result. He devoured morning shows, daytime shows, late-night talk shows, soaps, situation comedies, Lifetime movies, hospital dramas, police series, vampire and zombie serials, the dramas of housewives from Atlanta, New Jersey, Beverly Hills, and New York, the romances and quarrels of hotel-fortune princesses and self-styled shahs, the cavortings of individuals made famous by happy nudities, the fifteen minutes of fame accorded to young persons with large social media followings on account of their plastic-surgery acquisition of a third breast or their post-rib-removal figures that mimicked the impossible shape of the Mattel company’s Barbie doll, or even, more simply, their ability to catch giant carp in picturesque settings while wearing only the tiniest of string bikinis; as well as singing competitions, cooking competitions, competitions for business propositions, competitions for business apprenticeships, competitions between remote-controlled monster vehicles, fashion competitions, competitions for the affections of both bachelors and bachelorettes, baseball games, basketball games, football games, wrestling bouts, kickboxing bouts, extreme sports programming, and, of course, beauty contests.

musket

On the contrary – we’re too busy reading to have time to reply to the thread. :D

I recently finished Steven Pinker’s [I]Enlightenment Now[/I], the greatest plea for science, reason and technology since Carl Sagan. Musket won’t like it because it is fairly optimistic about the future. :-)

Two words– climate change.

The illustrations in Archy and Mehitabel, btw, are by George Herriman, the creator of Krazy Kat.

In no particular order, yesterday I read:
                        The Riemann Hypothesis
                        The Fermi Paradox
                        A news brief about the orbit of S62 around Sagittarius A
                        Extinct South American giant turtle had 10-foot-wide horned shell
                        Turning Left at Darwin
                        China coronavirus outbreak: All the latest updates
                        Details pour in from New Horizons’ visit to a Kuiper Belt Object
                        A Slight Change In Altitude Could Slash Flying’s Climate Cost
                        The Coming Technological Singularity: How to Survive in the Post-Human Era

and I worked on my 100 days project but I’m still behind

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
                        blog.jlk.net

musket

The turtle is cool.

brianvds

Two words– climate change.

Pinker acknowledges that it is a potentially very big problem. But he is fairly optimistic about that too.

tidal

Currently I am reading three books all by the same professor plus another book about color the interaction..and my brain hurts lol

and then as a side dish.. a few tit bits about other dimensions /cause and effect or the reversal there of and space as a saddle shape and eternal and static space from the result of falsified science …
                                    oh yes and the function of brain waves in deep transcendental meditiation ouch painfull

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

stlukesguild

I have to wonder just how much Rushdie’s Quichotte… as a work of metafiction (fiction in which the author self-consciously alludes to the artificiality or literariness of a work by parodying or departing from literary conventions and traditions… including alluding to works of prior literature) is dependent upon the prior knowledge of Cervantes’ Don Quixote. Cervantes’ book was arguably the first great Western novel… and already a work of metafiction… parodying the tradition of chivalric romances that the main character, the Don, had devoured and loved (much as the author) in a manner that sounds a lot like Rushdie’s TV addled protagonist.

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                                        "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

stlukesguild

I tend to read poetry, short fiction, and non-fiction more often than I do novels. Recently, I have been perusing the poetry of any number of old favorites:

Coleridge
                                            Rimbaud
                                            Baudelaire
                                            Theophile Gautier
                                            Eugenio Montale
                                            Giacomo Leopardi

… as well as translations of the Hebrew Bible by Robert Alter.

Dcam
                                                DaveCrow

Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence–From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror by Judith Herman

The Age of Anxiety by Pete Townshend

yes, that Pete Townshend. His debut novel.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

musket

Pinker acknowledges that it is a potentially very big problem. But he is fairly optimistic about that too.

Perhaps he should change his last name to Pangloss.

stlukesguild

One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich: Solzhenitsyn

Typical Russian epic-lengthed depressing novel?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.