WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical > The Floral and Botanical Greenhouse
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2014, 03:55 PM
North East England.

Hails from England
ROSES:using acrylic inks

This is a copy of the Rose Demonstration thread; the original thread can be found here.

A member recently asked if we had any demo or tutorial threads about painting roses, we hadn't!
In an effort to add to our Resources in The Greenhouse (see our new sub forum), we are trying to put together a series of demonstration threads on various flowers and plants.

If you would like to offer your services, please feel free to make a demonstration thread of a plant you like and in a medium you prefer!

I've put together this demo of a rose, using acrylic inks which, for those of you unfamiliar with them, are liquid acrylic paints, very fluid and highly saturated giving quite brilliant colour (and mud, very easily!!!).
They can be used like watercolours with brushes or pens - wet-in-wet, dry in wet and layered or glazed BUT, once dry, they are permanent and cannot be lifted.
One lives with mistakes!

When approaching a painting of a rose it's best first to study the plant, and preferably from life.
Look at it's make-up, its structure, the way the petals form the bud, the sepals around the bud, their number, the leaf form and arrangement.
Move from the stem up to the swell beneath the bud, the calyx.
This is important because when you draw your rose you'll want the form to be true and to look as if the petals come from the centre growth point.

I started this way but for the demo I used a reference from Macdragon, post 34 in this thread in Resources (in the Greenhouse!).

My exploratory drawing in the sketch book.

It doesn't have to be perfect but it must help you understand the plant!
Having sorted that, I'm now ready to paint!

I use mostly MagicColour inks though I have some DalerRowney, I still prefer the M/Color ones.
I'm trying a hot-pressed 140lb watercolour paper 1/8 sheet.
I also need some plastic food wrap (clingfilm over here), water mister and sponge.
I'm using an acrylic drawing board so I can keep the paper wet on both sides and using the acrylic means I don't have to tape it down.

I do a very light drawing to place the rose.

I wet the paper and try to avoid the rose - it's inevitable that with this method the paint will seep onto the drawing.
I then drop in colours of choice, adding more water where I want it lighter .... this often leads to 'cauliflowers'!

While wet, I add the clingfilm. This will hopefully start to give me some organic-type shapes suggestive of foliage.

Allow to dry thoroughly.

The next step is to add more colour to darken areas - or lighten - and more clingfilm.

When dry, I'm ready to start the first layers of colour on the rose: this will be a gradual build up of colour using the inks thinly.
They're so saturated that you only needs a couple of drops at a time on the palette and thin with water.
Being transparent, use the different colours in layers and the underneath ones shine through.

In this illustration you can see the ideas of foliage from the clingfilm texture. The seepage onto the drawing is also visible!

Continue to build layers of colour on the rose, developing the tones and the form. Bring back lost highlights with white ac. ink - it's fairly thick and opaque.
I then decided the painting needed more weight at the bottom - got carried away a bit there!

However, here's the final painting.

Thank you for reading - hope it's helpful!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 09-01-2014 at 11:56 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2014, 10:49 AM
A WC! Legend
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Roses,(Digital) using ArtRage

The original thread for this work can be found here.

How I do my digital paintings

I paint using a paint program (ArtRage or Corel Painter ) and a Wacom Pad and Stylus (One can choose the stylus to appear as a oval, cross or brush)
Sometimes I draw an outline, sometimes a tracing and this one was just straight painting onto the canvas

Most of the time I will have one layer for the background (you set the size of your painting when you create your base layer and can enlarge or decrease the size as you need ) and another layer for my image,

Once I have my base canvas in and coloured I will chose a canvas effect to add to it.

I will then add the layer to start my painting. Most of the painting is done on this layer but sometimes I will add another layer to get a colour in but then merge with the image layer to blend

How I set up my program in my computer

You choose your brushes, settings, colours from these

My finished painting

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 09-01-2014 at 11:59 AM.