WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Shutterbug Pub
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 06:05 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States
Re: The Shutterbug Pub Weekender, Sat & Sun, January 25, 26, 2020

Considering the obstacles, those a pretty darn good action shots, Lorell. (I ran into similar challenges years ago trying to photograph indoor basketball games when my son coached a high school girls JV team. Your results are much, much better than mine were.)

One of today's three walks resulted in photos worth working on. An overcast sky was thin enough to let a nice light through, so it was a good time to be outside taking photos. Here's the first one I quickly processed...

[Nikon D7500 with Nikkor 18-300 shot at 300mm, manual mode, 1/640 sec, f/8, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

I suspect I've left this a little too dark. Other than that, I like the colors and the bokeh.

More to follow, I hope.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 06:52 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Lorell,
I think you did good for the lighting you had to work with.
Low light/moving subjects. Somethings going to fall off just a bit.
>>This is action though and it doesn't have to be tack sharp.<<
Ever hear photographers complaining how photographers get so hung up on sharpness that they forget all about the story?
I have!
Your story looks good!

Dave,
You did great with your flower process.
Lovely color!

Took a drive today.
Granite cotton gin building.

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2020, 10:57 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Hiking and Biking around San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

Hello everyone. It's nice to see that a lot of regulars are still here. I don't think I've been here for a couple of years. I thought that I've logged in since then, but I guess not.

Not long after I lasted posted here, I went to a shorebird festival in Cordova Alaska. I would love to go to that this year, too, but it's really expensive getting to these small towns in Alaska, especially one that is as isolated as Cordova. I might try to go to the one in Harlan, TX this year.

Here's a photo of some whimbrels and peeps in Hartney Bay that I took in 2018.

Blog , Hubpages My New Bird Blog
Canon Digital Rebel T3, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Gimp, and PE 2.0
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2020, 09:53 AM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Thanks for the supportive remarks on my hockey photos . I took one more set of photos of the championship game. They lost.

Desert Darlene, it in good to see you. Thanks for thinking of us. Are you still busy painting?I wish we had sound so we could hear all the noise those birds on the beach were making.

Patty, looks like you finally had a nice bright day to go riding. I can't remember so many days like this of clouds, rain, snow etc. It sure has been a downer. I am glad your got to go for a Sunday drive. Neat-oh building. Built to last I But not forever. I wonder why its crumbling.maybe the front of the building was made of wood.

Dave, Delicate SHY flower. Nice color combination.
Olympus OM-D E-M1 MarkII, Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens, Sigma 2.8mm FishEye Lens
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2020, 09:56 AM

Hails from United States

That was a great trip and the town was very nice. I haven't painted in a long time, but I did finish up on a drawing last night.

I also went to visit family in Detroit and got a lot of bird photos there, too, including baby killdeer. I did not see the crane that was raising a gosling, though.

Thank you for noticing me. Last time I was posted, I was completely ignored.

Canon Digital Rebel T3, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Gimp, and PE 2.0
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2020, 10:13 AM

Hails from United States

Do you know, Darlene, that I live in a suburb only 10miles north of Detroit? Where did you take photos of birds in Detroit? Do you have relatives here?

I am sorry for your last bad experience.
Olympus OM-D E-M1 MarkII, Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens, Sigma 2.8mm FishEye Lens

Last edited by Luv2shoot : 01-27-2020 at 11:16 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2020, 12:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Hi Darlene.

You're right - it has been quite a while since you dropped by. Nice to "see" you again. Don't wait so long next time - you've been missed.

Nice photo of the small shore birds.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2020, 04:04 PM
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada

I agree Darlene,
it is a nice photo.
Curious about your painting as I too am getting back into painting.
Don't take few or no comments personaly. I too get zero response on some of my threads and posts. I don't think of it as ignore.

BetterlightSuper6KHS, medium and large format lenses, Sinar hybrid 4x5 cameras[17lenses], D800,16fish,14-24,17-35,28shift,35-70,45,60micro,70-210, 85tilt,105micro,135DF,200micro,ipf8300 printer Watercolour,softpastel,acrylic,airbrush,oil stick expert art reprography,finishing Giclée,stretching canvas,collects kolinsky watercolour brushes
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2020, 11:23 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks droll13, Adamphotoman and Luv2Shoot.

I actually spent my childhood in Detroit and my dad and his family still live there in the Orchard Lake area. I stay in a hotel, though, because I like to be by myself. I usually stay in Novi. I like to visit Long Park when I visit, but last year I went to Kensington, where I often visited as a kid, Heritage Park, and Point Mouillee.

Oh, and I visited Huntington Beach, CA, recently too and took pictures at Bolsa Chica. I may go there again, soon.

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2020, 02:08 AM
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada

Lorell,
I don't know if you will see this as this thread is yesterdays.
Back in the film day when I covered roller blade games our ISO / ASA in those days was quite low. We overcame by using a slower shutter and then panning the action. This allowed sharp and intentional blur. When used it was quite effective.

BetterlightSuper6KHS, medium and large format lenses, Sinar hybrid 4x5 cameras[17lenses], D800,16fish,14-24,17-35,28shift,35-70,45,60micro,70-210, 85tilt,105micro,135DF,200micro,ipf8300 printer Watercolour,softpastel,acrylic,airbrush,oil stick expert art reprography,finishing Giclée,stretching canvas,collects kolinsky watercolour brushes
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2020, 04:06 AM

Hails from United States

Grant,
That will have to be something to try. I used Shutter priority mode with speed 600-1000, continuous auto focus, auto ISO (the camera put itself at 6400 which was way too much noise for the images), and rapid and continuous shutter (10 frames per second). I took photos at two more games after the ones I posted, have yet to look at them. I tried different settings .

Thanks for sharing the idea. It would create a cool effect.

Darlene,
My daughter is a teacher in Novi, that is a beautiful area out that way. I've been to Kensington Park but not familiar with the other parks you mentioned. I am an east sider. Do visit downtown much?

Last edited by Luv2shoot : 01-28-2020 at 04:12 AM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2020, 04:23 AM
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada

Lorell,
I used to do that effect before electronics. Manual everything. Before motor drive, before auto focus.
If you have 2 cameras, use one on auto but set one up for manual....