Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Unrelated question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bardo

Hey friends,
        Is it gross to do a self portrait? I want to do a portrait and I have some pretty good shots from a portrait challenge we did so it’s convenient and I won’t offend anyone with my horrid work. Anyone tried one?

Ohiohawk97

I think they are awesome if done well. I think I am at the point I may try one but know it would turn out horribly. My landscapes are just now starting to look less like a 1st grader painted them…. Like anything in painting, it takes 100’s of reps…. lol….

Wes

I did the self portrait for my picture here in response to a 3 primary color challenge in the oil painting forum. It was not great and it has not encouraged me to mutilate anyone else’s features. Still, it was fun and educational.

I could have asked my wife to sit but that could have lead to divorce.

Gary

"Painting is a verb"

It’s a great way to learn portraiture. I did paint about 3 already, but wasn’t very pleased with my ink version. At a stage you don’t look at painting yourself anymore but rather like ‘it’s just another face’

Christel

Dorrart

It surprised me a bit to find this question in landscapes, but then I realized that many artists are more comfortable painting landscapes than people and here is the right place for such a question.

Self portraits are a good way to keep a record of your artistic progress. If done well they show your age and capability at that age in one image. Rembrandt did several self portraits they are prized by museums and collectors as among his best works.

I do a self portrait every few years, and I occasionally use myself for a figure model for imaginary works with people in them. I have at least fifteen works I painted with me as subject or a figure in them; four of those are self portraits. One of my self portraits was done when I was in art school and marked a turning point in how I paint. As for “is it gross”, who cares? paint whatever you want.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Bardo

All,
                    Thanks for your input. I didn’t mean to impugn the art of self-portraiture. I place this question in landscapes because there are some frequent contributors there that I have come to know a bit and trust their input. I am going to give it a try as a learning process, and see how things progress. I definitely feel that its time for me to do more figurative work, putting some people into my work, and this is a good way to work towards that. Thanks, and I will post the result no matter how horrid!

Freeman

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.