Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery Montara Lighthouse

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bartc

Had some fun with this one. See what you think. Sennelier soft pastels mostly on light gray toned Pastelmat. 9×12″

franglais

Love this BartC. I think I would leave out the pumpkins, as they grab my attention from the rest of the painting…. but I love your sky!!!
            Mike

water girl

I agree with Mike. The star of this show is the lighthouse. The pumpkins are competing. I like that you have lightly brought some of the red into the lighthouse. It’s those small touches that tie things together.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Bartc

I debated the pumpkins, but they were really there, really prominent. They do draw the eye, I know. They don’t feel as unbalanced to me as to you, but I know what you mean. Thanks.

water girl

Just know that our opinions are only opinions. :angel: :angel: Each painting is your creation, and you are the one who has to be satisfied with the end result. :wave:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

Bartc

Just know that our opinions are only opinions. :angel: :angel: Each painting is your creation, and you are the one who has to be satisfied with the end result. :wave:

I take no offense at all and welcome the comments. If I had cropped the pic on the bottom so that it started at the level of the agaves, it would have been both accurate and probably less distracting as a composition.

Sometimes I fall into the narrative trap and something about the pumpkins caught my eye. The same thought of leaving them out occurred to me at the time. It seemed as though they were needed with the rest of the stuff at the bottom.

I can see how it would have worked as well to frame differently. The comments made that point valid.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.