Home Forums Explore Subjects Aviation Art Denver Stapelton Dawn Departure

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    JATART

Hi Guys!

Here’s a look at a painting I just finished. The subject is the old Denver Stapelton International Airport, circa early 1980’s, with a Continental Airlines DC-10 taking off at dawn. I chose this subject because I always see the old control tower at Stapelton in the early morning hours while I’m on duty in the control tower at Buckley Air Force Base.

Work is 24 X 18 inches, acrylic on canvas.

All comments and questions are very welcome!
        Jim T.

JATART

One thing I forgot to mention, the only vestage left of Stapleton is the control tower. The property is now a high-end housing development!:eek:

Trumper

:) That’s great .It’s not just military areas and aircraft that are being reduced,built on or scrapped and are now just part of the history.

NeilF92

Certainly got that early morning feel to it – nice!

vegaskip

Nice painting, a record of things long gone.
                        Jim

JATART

:) That’s great .It’s not just military areas and aircraft that are being reduced,built on or scrapped and are now just part of the history.

Hi Trumper! Thanks for your comment! Such a shame about Stapelton; when I was stationed in Colorado Springs in the 1980’s I was deployed about 2 weeks per month, so I spent a lot of time passing through Stapelton. Seemed like home!

JATART

Certainly got that early morning feel to it – nice!

Thanks Neil! I was trying to capture the effect I see when finishing a night shift in the Tower.

Thanks again!
                                Jim

JATART

Nice painting, a record of things long gone.
                                    Jim

Thank you so much Jim!

hmshood5

Beautiful painting of the DC-10!

"All of us get lost in the darkness... Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"
                                        www.brianfioreart-aviartisa.com

JATART

Beautiful painting of the DC-10!

Hi Brian!

Thank you so much!
                                            Jim

Gray539

Really nice feel to this one, Jim. Crisp morning air, love it.

JATART

Really nice feel to this one, Jim. Crisp morning air, love it.

Hi Gray, good to hear from you!

Thank you so much, this one took a lot of study and head scratching to try for the right effect.

Thanks again!
                                                    Jim

Fishjay

Ah, this brings some memories to the surface. I took my 461 training at Lowry AFB in 1970. I flew into Stapleton on a 727. Visited the airport several times to get my aircraft fix. I loved the AA Convair 880s that flew out of there.
                                                        Thanks for the great artwork.
                                                        Lester SSGT USAF Vietnam Era

JATART

Hi Lester!

Me too! I went through Space Operations Officer school at Lowry in 1984. There was a terrific restaurant (the 57th Aero Squadron) right next to Runway 26 Right at Stapelton, great food and so neat seeing airliners touching down right outside the window. Great memories!

Thanks for your comments!
                                                            Jim

Fishjay

Come to think of it, the 727 we took from San Antonio to Denver was a proud bird with the golden tail!

Lester

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.