Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Red Highlights

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Beancrusher

Middle aged newbie to oil painting. Working on my third painting ever (except when I painted with fingers), this one at my daughter’s request. Tulips from the front of our house, very open in bright sunlight. How do I get red highlights in the petals without it looking either pink or orange. I am using Rembrandt, and bought some cadmium red light, but it has an orange cast to it. Do all the cadmium lights have an orange cast? The cadmium red medium I think tends to look to pink when mixing with white to get the higher value’s for highlights. Is there a red that doesn’t turn so pink when mixed with white? When I mix the cadmium yellows, I just get a great range of yellow to work with, but with the red, the lightest end of the values really turns pink.

ladywolf1

Hi Beancrusher….

Personally, I like Grumbacher Red….
            seems to retain a true “red”…. like the red in the flag…. or blood, lol!
            *and try not adding white…. it just kills it as you’ve discovered.
            (maybe just try punching up your highlights with a yellow/yellow orange mix…. pure pigment… moving up on the wheel from red…. it’ll keep your colors fresh/bold and still give the illusion of highlight).

Another suggestion is to do an underpainting in pure white and then do multiple glazes with your red over it….. allowing it to dry in between….. I find that a deep, rich red can result this way …. but it requires patience….

hope that this helps,
            cheri

bigflea

hi there,

perylene and perinone reds give a vibrant red note, which are more characteristic of flower petals than the cadmiums, altho all have some application in that situation.

But more important than the pigment, at least for learning to paint, is the difference in the color of the part of the flower in direct sunlight and the part in shade or indirect light. In terms of the coloring of light, they are not going to be the same red, with one being a lighter value than the other. Instead they will be mixtures of colors that appear to be reds when seen together, and the pure red, or red with a touch of white, or orange-red, and white, will only be in one area of the flower petal, near the highlight, but not in the highlight, between the shade and the direct light area. I hope you can make sense of this, but it is mainly making a very careful observation of where the petal is actually red, and where it is not.

The comment about glazing is also true i think, especially with colors in such delicate things as flower petals. Glazing can sometimes get the fine tuning of a color area that a simple direct opaque layer of color does not quite make satisfactorily. First try to hit the relationships with flat opaque notes together, then try a glaze where it seems to need something additional to make the light around the flower petal.
                bigflea

HRobinson

What other “reds” do you have already? Cheri is correct about that Grumbacher Red. Do you have alizarin crimson? That’s a nice tone when used by itself over primed canvas.

-Harry

Or, you could use pure red for highlights and DARKEN the other areas instead of the other way around.
                    Just an idea. I have never felt the need for a brighter red than Cad.red light for my highlights, and I used red in pretty much all of my paintings.

Oh, and welcome to WetCanvas!!!!! Try to get some pictures so we can see!

//matt

Skill of hand can never make up for emptiness of heart

ladywolf1

*see…. there are many good roads to travel to get to the same destination…..;) but each manufacturer and each red they produce obviously have different properties.

Some lean to the blue/purple, some are toward yellow/orange… hence, it makes a big difference when you add another color or white, because the tints in the orginal red will be reflected.

As an added footnote:
                        **check out Stephen Quiller’s new book Color Choices: Making Color Sense Out of Color Theory
                        although I do not paint in the same style as he does, his color is bold, bright, fresh and clean…

I am toying with some of his mixtures just to see what happens and I am not only having fun doing it, I’m learning something.
                        ** this book is loaded with ideas for expanding your “color thinking”….

You could also try laying out everyones ideas on a separate canvas board….
                        or try experimenting with the paints you already have.
                        write down your mixtures……
                        ex:
                        1/5/10 parts Cad. Red + 1 part Aliz. Crimson, etc.
                        or a 50/50 mix, or 20 to 1 ratio…..
                        Try glazing each red with Aliz. Crim. or Cad. Orange or Cad. Yellow.
                        The combinations are endless.

and then when they are dry, you’ll always have a “red mixtures” reference to go back to.

Me, I still like Grumbacher Red…. lol! But now, because of bigflea’s suggestion, I may just have to try perylene and perinone too.

bye, cheri

Beancrusher

WOW! You people are quick and great. I just posted this am before going to work. Makes me wish I had more time to paint. I will try the Grumbacher, and the glazing ideas for sure. Here is the piece so far, and I would certainly appreciate any feedback where to improve. I know I need to work the leaves and there are some value adjustments to add to the porch, but please fire away.

boopie

Welcome beancrusher try again your picture did not come up

mary knepper

tbezesky

Other color options,

Quinacridone Rose – the dark red
                                    Naphthol Red or Cad Red Med – the mid range red
                                    To build the lights- a combination of Cad yellow lt and white, more yellow at first but the hilite comes to white.

Tracy Bezesky
                                    New Blog:
                                    http://www.dailyWIP.com/

Beancrusher

I’m new, so I’ll try again.

Had to use the uploader instead of just attachment to get it in.

bigflea

hi beancrusher,
                                            the image looks very convincing to me, and especially well done for a third try.

My question is are you sure that the highlight is red? What you have done so far shows some shifting of the local color, and in the light key you are describing ( very sunlit conditions), highlights can be almost colorless, or have a very pale tinge of color depending on the situation. For example, a very clear sky and atmosphere may turn the highlight slightly blue violet or rose violet, because the sky reflects down into the compostion and can be seen in the highlights on forms. Other light/atmospheric differences may cause the highlight to have a slight scarlett or yellow orange tinge, while a midday light may appear to be a whitish highlight.

Another example, such as the glare of a bright sunlight on water, the highlight of the water, )which may have very deep coloring all thru it), may appear to be colorless and even brighter than the sky, as if it is a mirror reflecting all the light (color).

bigflea

Beancrusher

Thanks bigflea, and all others.

I don’t think I understand what you mean by “shifting local color”?
                                                I would appreciate learning what the terminology means. It is the almost colorless highlight you talk about that when I have attempted it so far, looks too pink to me, instead of almost colorless but tinted with red. Made me really wonder about the white underpainting with red glazeing to get that effect as suggested by yourself and ladywolf1. I have a couple of new reds on order to experiment with, the Grumbacher Red and the perylene red that Grumbacher makes.

Thanks again.

ladywolf1

*this is your third attempt ever?
                                                    good job beancrusher! very nice work.

keep going….. you’re doing great! :clap:

Bellomo

Mix a small dab of blue or purple in the red if it is too orangish. Don’t use too much, experiment with how much you use, and test it carefully in a place you can paint over.

Beancrusher

Finished at last. Thanks for all your assistance. The color this time on the camera makes the reds have an orange cast, which isn’t there. Not sure what is going on. The reds are really closer in hue to the earlier post.

Not perfect, I have a couple of areas “kissing” since the reference photo was that way, and I wasn’t quick enough to notice and change the composition before I was afraid it would throw off the perspective for me to try and correct.

This seems to have taken forever to complete, but only so much time. Going to use as a present for my daughter. (Christmas deadline helped)

Please comment and critique where I need to focus on improving.

Thanks again, this place is great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Red Highlights’ is closed to new replies.