Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting What’s the most transparent yellow?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Quality

I’m having a hard time finding a transparent yellow, most stores just carry the cadmiums, which are very opaque. Any help is greatly appreciated.

bedazzledx2

I’m using Art Spectrum Aureolin. Georgeous rich colour which is very transparent. Expensive but I find a little goes a long way.
            Deb

opainter

Somebody just started a related thread that I think will answer some of your questions: over here. Hope that helps!

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

DaveGhmn

http://www.artiscreation.com/yellow.html

Look at all with “4” in the opacity column. Skip past the historical pigments at the top. You’ll also have to cross-ruff against maker’s marketing name +”o” for “oil paint” — though not all oil paints are highlighted with “o.”

Most true cadmiums and cadmium hues are opaque, since opacity is one of the desiderata of that pigment.

Judging a Manet from the point of view of Bouguereau, the Manet has not been finished. Judging a Bouguereau from the point of view of Manet, the Bouguereau has not been begun.

--Robert Henri, The Art Spirit

kevinwueste

It would appear, based on recent threads that linseed oil would be the most transparent yellow! ( ok, sort-of art humor – but still!).

-Kevin

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
                        Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
                        http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
                        "kevinwueste" on instagram

WFMartin

I highly recommend Winsor & Newton’s “Transparent Yellow 653”. It says it is an “AZO Condensation”, and its ID is PY128. I did a plot of it on a color wheel, using a color densitometer, and found it to be very close to optimum, true, scientific, “Yellow” in terms of being a primary color.

I use it almost exclusively for my flower paintings. It mixes with other transparent colors, to create deep, dark colors, and with white to create some very brilliant, light colors.

The only other Brand that I’ve found that offers that same, transparent pigment in oil paint is Rembrandt, who also has a PY128 pigment, although I’ve never tried it.

There are other transparent “Yellows”, such as “Indian Yellow”, but I haven’t found one that plots, scientifically, on the color wheel as a primary yellow, as close as W & N Transparent Yellow 653 does.

If your desire is a transparent, Primary Yellow, this may be it. I use it, and it’s been working well for me for quite a long time.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • The topic ‘What’s the most transparent yellow?’ is closed to new replies.