WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2018, 06:03 PM
New York

Hails from United States
empousser --French for "push"

I am looking for a discussion of the compositional idea of "empousser" in which there are two large forms (usually trees) on each side of the foreground more or less blocking the eye. Then, in the middle, there is a vista of midground and distance. The term, which means "push", is used, as I understand it, because it was thought that the lateral forms pushed you into the landscape. You can also say that the two forms squeeze the landscape out (It seems to me.) I used the term with an artist friend and want to send her a reference to the concept. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks,
Richard
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2018, 11:06 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: empousser --French for "push"

a common and very useful tool, this 'empousser' term, tho i call it a 'welcoming triangle' tool 'cause i'm not french. it's used voraciously in landscapes (as paths, rivers, fields, etc.) , cityscapes (roads, crowds, buildings, etc), still life works (objects, placements and angles), tho it's generally encouraged to avoid placing it dead centre (horizontally or vertically), the 'rule of thirds sweet spots' being preferred. it's a huge aid in adding depth, aka perspective and the necessary illusions of 3d on a 2d surface.
google [drawing] perspective and/or composition and you could read for days.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2018, 08:19 PM
New York

Hails from United States

Interesting comment, thank you, but I'm asking has anyone spotted the word "empousser" in print somewhere in the English literature on composition or the history of composition.
Richard
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Montreal, Qc, Canada

Hails from Canada

I don't know about that concept but, as a native French speaker, I have to tell you that "pousser" means push, not "empousser". "Empousser" is maybe an archaic term but it currently doesn't mean anything, even in art lexicon (and I searched...)

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2018, 02:53 AM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr113
... I'm asking has anyone spotted the word "empousser" in print somewhere in the English literature on composition or the history of composition.
Richard

Hi Richard,
It is not a recent thread, but I never heard about "empousser" before. Yesterday I stumbled upon the correct term in an article on the Brueghel exposition in Vienna. The term is repoussoir.
There is a lot on google under that term. For a starters.

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom