Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Painting from the Masters Girl with a Pearl Earring – 12" x 14" (Copy)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Richard P

This is a copy of Vermeer’s famous Girl with a Pearl Earring that I did last year. It’s slightly smaller than the original and unlike Vermeer’s which was done with an underpainting and 2 or 3 more layers on top this is done in one layer only over a white untoned board.

It was painted wet in wet alla-prima with no solvents (walnut oil as a medium). No one can approach painting like vermeer, but it was good practice and now sits on my wall.

[ATTACH]863000[/ATTACH]

Here is a higher resolution image, and the painting in a frame.
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde…H2?usp=sharing

Merriweather

Very nice… I have never thought to copy a masters painting, but I imagine this one would be particularly nice to do… ( not saying I am going to) but you have done a beautiful painting. well done.

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Richard P

Thank you. It was nice to copy :)

Tony11214

Beautiful!

This. is. so. good!!! Congratulations. What a beautiful painting. :heart:

I’ve read in this article about the history of colour blue that Vermeer used lapis lazuli for the woman’s headdress in this painting. It made the work even more valuable in its time.

TomMather

This is an incredible copy! Do you feel like you learned a lot painting it? I’m surprised you were able to copy the original so closely alla-prima.

Richard P

Thank you both! Yes, copying it let me develop as an artist :)

Canadanny

Very nice copy

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Art is not about thinking something up. It is the opposite -- getting something down. [INDENT][FONT=Book Antiqua]The Artist's Way[/INDENT]

Lon Reams

Just wonderful! Such an excellent copy.

I adore Vermeer. How the man found time to paint so well while living with his mother inlaw, wife and 11(!!!) daughters is beyond me!

You might be interested in my tongue in cheek tribute to this painting… https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463828

Richard P

What a brilliant cat painting Lon, I love it! :)

HalVik

Incredible to achieve such an excellent copy with alla prima! Very good edge control.

Carol F.

I saw this woman on the Washington Metro on the way back to the hotel after viewing the Vermeer exhibition way long ago. Immediately sketched her. This is NOT oil — it’s digital.

~cfm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.