Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting What colours for brass and mahogany?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Tyrrhenus

Tomorrow I’ll start applying colours to the objects in my still life. I have two questions.

1) One of the objects is a jug and I want it as it is made of brass.
        What colours should I mix to obtain a decently realistic base colour for brass?

2) For the table. In my head it is made of mahogany. Again what would be a good starting colour mix?

The paints I have are:
        Cadmium yellow (light and deep), cad orange, cad red (deep and light), napthol red, yellow ochre, indian yellow, venetian red, the umbers and the siennas, quin magenta, phtalo blue, ultramarine, cobalt blue, chromium Oxyde, sap green. And ivory black and of course titanium white.

"The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity."
        Alberto Giacometti

snoball

Here’s a tutorial[/URL] to help you. Reflections are what will make it believable.

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
            My work on Facebook

WFMartin

Tomorrow I’ll start applying colours to the objects in my still life. I have two questions.

2) For the table. In my head it is made of mahogany. Again what would be a good starting colour mix?

The paints I have are:
                Cadmium yellow (light and deep), cad orange, cad red (deep and light), napthol red, yellow ochre, indian yellow, venetian red, the umbers and the siennas, quin magenta, phtalo blue, ultramarine, cobalt blue, chromium Oxyde, sap green. And ivory black and of course titanium white.

Gosh……Are you tryin’ to paint this from pure imagination ? With no reference at all, to either real life, or from a photo??

I could not create a “brass color”, without looking at something that is brass. Nor could I create a mahogany color (especially within the context, and lighting of the setting) without having a piece of mahogany located in that exact location to use as a target for the mixed color.

I couldn’t accomplish that in a million years, and expect it to appear real!:eek:

Suffice it to say that in case of either of those two colors, they are likely to be a LOT duller, grayer (dirtier) than one would expect them to be, in order to appear realistic with the context of a still life. My guess would be to begin with a neutral gray, and add to it enough of the colors (brass, and mahogany) to indicate the appearance of brass, and mahogany.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Tyrrhenus

Thanks Snoball, nice tutorial.
                    Bill, I understand what you say. Any kind of material (anything really) can have many different hues depending on the kind of light/scene setting. It’s not that I don’t know that, but I still need to learn to trust the eyes, and not the brain (it is very prone to simplify when it comes to categorising things)

"The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity."
                    Alberto Giacometti

OK

When you are starting off you need to learn certain things such as drawing and observation.

So start with simple things and do things that will teach you the basics.

Set up simple still lives with good lighting, just setting up the still life will teach you composition and observation, spend as much time on the set up as the painting.

Learn to draw with the brush, once you have it all set up and have a good idea of how it is going to look in the painting start painting directly.

Use a limited palette which will teach you colour mixing.
                        Try, Ultramarine, Alizarin Crimson and Cad Yellow Lemon plus white. You can match any colour in your still life with these colours.

You will never see all the subtlety of reality by working from imagination or photos.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                        — Allen Ginsberg
                        Are you ready for a Journey?
                        PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

I always think it odd when people ask how to color an isolated object.

Your palette is fine to paint anything.

But all things are relative to each other in a painting.
                        So, how you handle the brass and mahogany depends on surrounding objects as well as the color of the light.

You must observe your subject and mix your colors. Experiment and see what works.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

p_nathan

I would suggest pulling out your canvas pad, sketching out the underpainting/drawing, and giving it a whirl without paying too much attention to the fiddly bits.

Colored metals are complex to catch right, and they deserve some prototypes to get it right. And, as Mr. Martin said, you will really need an object to observe.

I have found this method of canvas pad & prototype to help immensely.

hobbyist in oil.

Tyrrhenus

I always think it odd when people ask how to color an isolated object.

Your palette is fine to paint anything.

But all things are relative to each other in a painting.
                                So, how you handle the brass and mahogany depends on surrounding objects as well as the color of the light.

You must [B]observe your subject[/B] and mix your colors. Experiment and see what works.

Odd, maybe, but probably common among those who are just starting to paint. My “mistake” so far is to draw/paint from imagination. Which – if one has zero experience, knowledge and skill – the worst way to learn. From now on I’ll paint only what I see, until I get good enough to be able to paint what’s inside my soul.
                                On a good note: I ain’t gonna ask again something silly like “what colour is brass?” This is progress I believe :lol:

Alberto Giacometti

Tyrrhenus

I would suggest pulling out your canvas pad, sketching out the underpainting/drawing, and giving it a whirl without paying too much attention to the fiddly bits.

Colored metals are complex to catch right, and they deserve some prototypes to get it right. And, as Mr. Martin said, you will really need an object to observe.

I have found this method of canvas pad & prototype to help immensely.

I’ll follow you advice. Thanks :)

Thanks to Dave too

Alberto Giacometti

ianuk

Odd, maybe, but probably common among those who are just starting to paint. My “mistake” so far is to draw/paint from imagination. Which – if one has zero experience, knowledge and skill – the worst way to learn. From now on I’ll paint only what I see, until I get good enough to be able to paint what’s inside my soul.
                                        On a good note: I ain’t gonna ask again something silly like “what colour is brass?” This is progress I believe :lol:

Mahogany

Mahogany is pretty easy, Brown red base, followed with a thin black glaze using a fan brush. Mahogany grain is either swirled or straight. Don’t make the base red brown equal everywhere, variate it. I have no idea about your brass but mahogany is child’s play.

Delofasht

ianuk has provided a wonderfully simple approach for mahogany.

Brass is golden yellow in light areas and bronzey reddish in shadows areas. Treat it like all other metals, it’s degree of polish will determine the detail of reflections, and whether reflecting or not the areas will still get that same general color scheme. This is just a basic understanding, there is a ton of nuance involved in rendering it, but this simplification is a very good starting point in my opinion (it is what I would use).

Given what I have learned about painting over the years, observation is excellent as a resource, but when you really understand how and why it looks the way it does then it becomes much easier to imagine it (and thus paint from that image in your mind).

- Delo Delofasht
                                            Delofasht

Here is a link for a nice tutorial on painting metal surfaces:

http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/painting-metallic-surfaces-gold-silver-bronze

Also, there are a ton of good tutorials and such that the artist network has available for free. Do paint a bit more than you read though, experience is by far the best teacher.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                Tyrrhenus

Here is a link for a nice tutorial on painting metal surfaces:

[url]http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/painting-metallic-surfaces-gold-silver-bronze[/url]

Also, there are a ton of good tutorials and such that the artist network has available for free. Do paint a bit more than you read though, experience is by far the best teacher.

Absolutely. And thanks for the link :clap:

Alberto Giacometti

Anonymous

I put in “brass” using advanced search, titles only and got this thread .
                                                        Randy has done an excellent rendition in this one and he describes the paints he used in his last post #15 on page one.
                                                        I would think the still life forum would also have a number of threads too.
                                                        Sorry, couldn’t find any with mahogany in the title.

ianuk

I put in “brass” using advanced search, titles only and got [URL=https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938684&highlight=brass]this thread [/URL].
                                                            Randy has done an excellent rendition in this one and he describes the paints he used in his last post #15 on page one.
                                                            I would think the still life forum would also have a number of threads too.
                                                            Sorry, couldn’t find any with mahogany in the title.

Now that, is good painting of brass.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘What colours for brass and mahogany?’ is closed to new replies.