Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone What truly constitutes a Mixed Media Painting?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 136 total)
  • Author

We discuss many aspects of watercolour in this forum. But many of us tend to use additional media to finish our work. At what point does the inclusion of these materials change the nature of our watercolour? How much is too much?

I respect the rules and guidelines of the various Societies and unerstand the purity of the work they support. Many Artists embrace this direction for their art and I sincerely appreciate the form that it takes.

However, I feel as though there’s a grey area where purity and mixed media cross paths.

For instance, some Societies do not allow opaque pigments to be used. Does this include cerulean or ochre? Of course, it would never allow gouache despite the fact that it can be reconstituted with water.

White is frowned upon but generally included in most watercolour sets. Nearly every Artist I know uses it for highlights and even corrective action.

A “small” amount of pen work is allowed by some Societies, but how much is it really?

I know that some Artists will finish their work with a bit of pastel. Is a little allowed? How much is a little? A swipe for a highlight?

I, personally, wrap my paper around a canvas support which is unacceptable by some Societies because it is not flat, matted and framed behind glass. Then, I finish my work with varnish or wax. Interestingly enough, an acrylic finished with varnish is still and acrylic. And an oil that is likewise finished is still an oil painting. But, watercolour becomes mixed media. Who decided that?

Now, I’m really ok with all this because I’m not a purist. I consistently study the basic foundations of watercolour to improve my skill sets, but I stray a little when I add the bits and chits that would relegate the work to mixed media… and then put the icing on the cake with my own finishing technique.

What really constitutes mixed media??? I don’t mind contentious discussion as long as we keep it respectful!

Virgil, sling comments! :)

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

virgil carter

Char, you’ve opened the door and I’m sure that a gusher of opinion and experience will flow through. It will be interesting to see if there is any common opinion or experience, won’t it?

As for me, I frankly don’t care about the semantics. Call it whatever one wants. It’s either art or it’s an aspiring work wanting to become art. Or it’s a hobby endeavor or a change of pace from one’s daily grind. Whatever.

The art organizations have every right to establish whatever rules and interpretations they wish. And artists have every right to enter those shows or not.

Some watercolor organizations hold on to the classic and traditional definition of watercolor and how it’s presented. The Transparent Watercolor Society allows only transparent watercolor for their shows. Some other watercolor organizations have changed their shows to “water media”. The Philadelphia Water Color Society, one of the oldest and most prestigious in the U.S., has changed their major annual show to “works on paper”!

Galleries don’t much care at all–their only concern is if they think they can sell your work.

So where does that leave us? Only artists seem to care what things are called, the tools and materials for making art, and how many wells one has on one’s palette. For us, we like to discuss all these things! Endlessly! :lol:
        Sling paint,
        Virgil

Sling paint,
        Virgil Carter
        http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

floyd

There is a saying over in the audiophile groups that it is always about the music, never about the equipment. I’m not really attached to any media, although I use all of them. When I start a painting, it already exists in my head, and I consider this the art, whether I ever paint it or not. I never know what media I will use before I finish, it could go any direction, so to me, media is not so much mixed as irrelevant. If I were to sacrifice my intended image for the sake of staying within the boundaries of some media, then it would cease to be about the music, become all about the equipment.
            Having said that, it is fun sometimes to dabble in some specific media, for instance transparent watercolor, just for the technical challenge. I don’t consider these exercises my art, just kind of a hobby.
            Concerning transparency, I don’t understand how transparent watercolor ever came to be considered traditional, all the earlier forms of watercolor, from cave paintings to oriental watercolor, which is opaque and mixed with a kind of glue, to the rise of watercolor as a serious media in the day of Turner, none of it was transparent. Most watercolorists found it hard to obtain good paper, most if was dark or tinted, which required opaque white for the highlights. Now, truly transparent watercolor is a unique and beautiful media, probably the most beautiful utilization of the media, (depending of course on the skill of the artist) and certainly deserving of it’s own organiizations and shows, but traditional? It’s just one take on the media, really doesn’t represent all of watercolor any more than gouache or drybrush or Chinese watercolor, and including elements outside the realm of transparent color certainly doesn’t make it mixed media.
            -Floyd

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/20-Mar-2015/49857-signature.jpg https://www.facebook.com/myartpage

briantmeyer

I like watercolor because unlike other media, if you do an initial sketch in pencil, it shows thru since it’s generally so transparent.

Oils hides things. So does acrylic. These tend to take over what is being done. Pigment is the same across all the media, so I don’t really see the difference, yet I like watercolors because it is in a way “between” painting and drawing, and it’s between fine art and hobby ( can’t tell you how many folks I know who don’t take watercolors seriously ). It’s also a medium far more focused on figurative art than others, what some call decorative art, with so many watercolor artists focusing on areas outside of modern art. It’s also non-toxic and easy to carry, which is why so many oil painters used it when capturing the american wilderness.

Per our watercolor society pictures have to be framed under plexiglass, this means my best work isn’t what they can show, as I do it on watercolor paper stretched over canvas ( mostly since frames are about 4 times what it costs me to work on canvas ) Also some say since I spray it, it’s no longer a watercolor, but a lot of them I just leave unsprayed in my drawer, unless I mark that I’ve sprayed it, I can’t see the spray. Basically if I want to enter it to a show, I decide that before I do the work, then follow their rules, but when I paint with these artists, they have no problems with anything I am doing.

I see watercolor as being defined by the use of water, other media use mainly the medium, yet we don’t define ourselves by gum arabic, we define ourselves by the water which I’d argue is our actual medium. Using watercolor pigment sticks, soluable pencil, even crayons those are accepted as part of the medium, assuming it’s mostly watercolor. You can even buy graphite pigment as watercolor paint. As long as you actually get it wet, or are tempted to as you work, it’s pretty much inside of what we call this medium.

Ink has long been used with watercolors, both by illustrators and also by fine artists. ( the Japanese watercolors for example predate most of our traditions, and they have been using ink )

Then there are all the techniques, salt, sand paper, saran wrap, wax resists, frisket, and of course the preliminary drawing. All of these are solidly watercolor, I think acrylics is the only other media which has so many off the wall techniques ( but it’s considered watermedia as well ), even then these are far more prevalent for watercolorists.

I am looking at getting into more collage type work, got my self some acrylic matte medium to use as glue, Matisse’s cutouts were done from paper colored by watercolors. I also am interested in stretching the paper over pots and bowls and other shapes.

I really don’t care what others call it, it is to me still clearly watercolor since while I am painting, my dance partner is that water. This is why this medium is hard to learn, since just like a dance partner you have to know when to lead, and when to follow.

yellow_oxide

I think that sometimes people can get upset over the question of what’s watercolor and what’s not because they see others drawing the line of what counts somewhere that excludes their own work or work they appreciate, and for reasons that may be based in opinion or that may make sense to one person and not to another. On the other hand, other people may want to define what they specialize in and not have that definition explosively expand to include many related but uniquely different things. So, I really don’t think a consensus can ever be reached on exactly where something is no longer watercolor because there’s too many grey areas in too many directions.

For example, watercolor is in the odd position in which the decision of whether a paint counts as watercolor or is something else is sometimes based on pigment rather than binder. Bind the pigment with oil and it’s oil paint, with egg yolk and it’s egg tempera, with acrylic emulsion and it’s acrylic, etc., but add a little white or chalk (technically a pigment) into a watercolor and it’s suddenly gouache, no change in binder needed. As far as I know this doesn’t happen in any other media, though I think there’s one or two Asian ones that are particular about particle size to get the right opacity. There is an appreciable difference between most watercolor and most gouache, but the same can be said of transparent and opaque pigments in oil paint.

On top of that, the binder in watercolor doesn’t even need to be gum arabic, nor was this always used. This is one medium with many unrelated binders. Even the many oils of oil paint are still all oil. Pure honey and nothing else can be used for watercolor. I’ve tried it and it works, but stays a little sticky if it’s used at full strength.

My own practice is that if I use any gouache then I say it’s “watercolor and gouache” rather than mixed media or water media, both of which are too vague. I don’t use ink but if I did it’d be “watercolor and ink.” If there’s three or more things it gets too long to list them all and I’d then call it mixed media.

The Philadelphia Water Color Society, one of the oldest and most prestigious in the U.S., has changed their major annual show to “works on paper”!

Oh but what about watercolor on ivory, or chicken skin? It seems in the 17th-19th centuries watercolor portrait miniatures were painted on many surfaces. :)

[…]

However, I feel as though there’s a grey area where purity and mixed media cross paths.

[…]

I don’t think that there is a gray area. Watercolour is a painting that the paint medium that was used to colour it was watercolours.
                    Even if someone adds ink to the outlines, or white gouache to the high lights, that doesn’t change the fact that the painting surface was colored with watercolours.

Same for other media. As you said acrylic paintings keep on considered as such even if they are varnished, because is not the varnish that coloued the painting surface but the acrylic paints. Same with each and every medium.

Mixed media is a painting that is colored with a variety of different paints. Not a particular one but is a mix and match of different kind of paints that cover all of the painting surface.

All the rest about purism and so on, are for me at least, incomprehensible.. rules that were made in order to oppress creativity.

P.S. Watercolours don’t have to be transparent. Gouache has completely different consistency and properties ( and use) and shouldn’t be confused with not transparent watercolours. It is not the same kind of paint because it contains chalk. The reason why illustrators and graphic artists preferred gouache instead of watercolours is because gouache is easier to get photographed and gave more accurate colour results with the old printing methods.

White Pen

Hi@All

@CharM and @ V.Charter …the opinion from White Pen :).

When in Rome do as the Romans do….

First , British Classic

Pure Aquarell – Watercolor . The Ideal … this rules are clear.TWA.etc.

Second , Aquarell/Watercolor

Semi opaque , opaque Body color Gouashe and Egg-Tempra ,Lead Pen, Inks Chalks etc.

Aquarell/Watercolor painting in middle Europa starts out of Bookpaintings with Albrecht Dürrer , Lucas Chranach etc.. (~1472)! Aquarell + Inks at this times just carrys Artists Studies on composition and showing predrawings do customer .
                        15.-16.-17.-18.-19.-20 Centurys each brought out lots of famous Aquarellpainter and the Artworks “Aquarell” done with decent parts of Lead pen , ink , chalk , gouach ….in diverent styles,genre e.g. Landscape , Portrait etc. the viewer agree it´s Water pigments so it´s Aquarell .
                        Some example …
                        Eugene Delacroix 1843 Lion Head, Aqua.,Gouache,Lea. Pen
                        Eduard Manet 1871 Barrikade, Aqua.,Ink gray, + White.
                        Egon Schiele 1912 Prisonier, Aquarell, + Lead Pen.
                        Salvador Dali 1951 The Queen+Butterfly , Aquarell, + Collage!

As it looks it´s a talk about of redevelopment the wheel.:wink2:

Ink,Lead pen,graphite ,chalk and body white comes out of development old Master Artists over centurys and part of thousend of well know ” Aquarell / Watercolor ” pictures in hundreds of Museums.

So see the old Master in Aquarell/Watercolor , see and learn.:wave:

For new 21 jhd. developt colors and artmediums .

I see here a wide open gap to new interpretations , and a simular development as Albrecht Dürer when he starts his new Medium “Aquarell”.

As long as you keep the majority -Paper + pigment + water- ..it´s a Aquarell/Watercolor .
                        If it´s turn over to a Ink/Lead Pen drawing with color…:eek: it´s not.
                        Ok , when it turns into a Illustration ,then the important part the paper and his white´s is gone lost .

I´m not a purist but i like the classic transparent Watercolors and see it as the Top of the Rock , saddly is my painting technic not on the egde to create a impressive transparent painting..may sometime my journey be succsesful..:rolleyes: interim development with a bit lead pen ,Ink,Chalk,Gouache,Tempra & Co…:thumbsup: and Watercolorpaper + pigment.

Cheers W.P.

Humor is just another defense against the universe.........On-Line Homebase........

SAS Designs

Marialena,
                            I was trying to THANK YOU for your post in the other thread about using pens with watercolor – but the thread was CLOSED. Yikes, never expected to find censorship on WC – seems what some would call acrimony is what some of us would call interesting.
                            Never would have thought of looking for the Watercolor in Wiki, thank you for posting that link. Reminded me of how much I’ve always LOVED Larsson.
                            Expect some of what some call acrimony, might also be a different expression in different countries.
                            Again sorry that thread was closed.
                            Guess we posters don’t get to vote on this.
                            Suzy

This is a great discussion. I hope it helps to clarify some of the confusion that Artists feel about their use of other media with watercolour.

Right here on WetCanvas in our Watercolour Gallery, the guidelines seem to conflict with those of the Watercolour Societies.

[INDENT]FINISHED paintings created with watercolor paints, watercolor pencils, or gouache go here. They may be painted on any surface compatible with watercolor such as paper, gesso, YUPO, clay board, and illustration board.

Small enhancements using other media to add highlights, draw lines, create resists, or make corrections may be acceptable. Reference photos and pertinent ancillary information about the work may be included with the painting…[/INDENT]

What constitutes a “small enhancement”? BTW, I was part of the Team who wrote these guidelines… :rolleyes:

Virgil, expressing our thoughts in forthright terms is good with me… I just draw back when the conversation goes south…

Because my approach to my own watercolours is a little different, my Gallery has asked me to “define” what they are. I respect that. I list them as Waxed (or Varnished) Watercolour, gallery wrapped on canvas stretchers. Phew! The acrylics and oils people don’t have to do that, though. Such is life. And you’re right… as far as the Galleries are concerned they’re there to make money for all concerned.

What does “works on paper” really mean? That’s a HUGE change. What if I watercoloured flowers, cut them out and collaged them onto paper with matte medium? Works on paper. :)

Now answer me this… as Artists WHY do we care about all these labels???

Floyd, you raise an interesting point. I don’t know the answer to this one and hope that someone will come along and provide us with some insight!

[INDENT]Concerning transparency, I don’t understand how transparent watercolor ever came to be considered traditional, all the earlier forms of watercolor, from cave paintings to oriental watercolor, which is opaque and mixed with a kind of glue, to the rise of watercolor as a serious media in the day of Turner, none of it was transparent.[/INDENT]

Brian, I disagree with your feeling that only watercolour is about the water. Water soluble oils and acrylics are both water media that can be painted on paper and therein lies a case for argument about their inclusion in juried exhibitions (for example).

[INDENT]I see watercolor as being defined by the use of water, other media use mainly the medium, yet we don’t define ourselves by gum arabic, we define ourselves by the water which I’d argue is our actual medium.[/INDENT]

I do have a set of water soluble graphite pencils. It never even occurred to me to use them with my watercolours! :lol:

Yellow Oxide, wouldn’t you think that with all the confusion surrounding watercolour’s true definition we’d want it tightened up? We’d want clear guidelines?

Marialena will disagree with this, but there are a couple of manufacturers who’ve eliminated the chalk from their gouache formulations and have increased the pigment load. Does this change make them simply opaque watercolours, then?

Marialena, I couldn’t agree more about the blurred lines of what constitutes a watercolour. But, the fact that we can include a highlight or a penned line on a watercolour and it’s still just that, but adding more than the highlight or line and it becomes mixed media. That’s the grey zone.

White Pen, I’m in complete agreement about how the Artists before us used all the materials at hand to work their beautiful art. They were not consumed with the purity of the medium.

However, how much constitutes the majority. Where does the inclusion of other media cross the line?

Please keep this conversation going. It’s very helpful to me, as a Teacher, because these questions and this dialogue arises frequently in my Classes.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

virgil carter

A brief history of the evolution of watercolor here: http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/pigmt5.html#history

For a more detailed history, together with a summary of modern watercolor materials, palettes and basic techniques, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watercolor_painting

These confirm what we all know: painting with watercolors is watercolor painting!

So, back to Char’s question, what is it when other artistic (or non-artistic) media, is introduced into the painting mix in addition to watercolor?

As for me, I’d still like to talk further about the definition of fine-art vs. other forms of making images. When is it fine-art? When is it a painting? When is it an illustration? A sketch? When is it just an exercise to pass the time enjoyably? When is it to be taken seriously and when not?

Here’s an illustration of a product I got in today’s email, where I can buy a print for $34-$50 USD. The email advert says, “…This Lovely French Bulldog Print is by illustrator Uzualsunday, who finds the wonder and quirk in everyday life…”

So what is this image? Is it a painting? Is it fine-art? Is it watercolor? Is this type of image even worth discussing?

Sling paint,
                                Virgil

Sling paint,
                                Virgil Carter

They have changed gouache formulations because gouache is not used any more that much from illustrators. Back in the past, ( but not that long ago.. lets say 25 years ago) all illustrations were done with gouache because the chalk that contains allowed such artworks to get better photographed with analogue cameras and then processed to films with repromasters, for offset printing purposes. Anyway.. gouache without chalk is more of a rather opaque watercolour. Unless chalk have been replaced with something else.. ( I don’t use gouache and I can’t tell you further details).

Marialena, I couldn’t agree more about the blurred lines of what constitutes a watercolour. But, the fact that we can include a highlight or a penned line on a watercolour and it’s still just that, but adding more than the highlight or line and it becomes mixed media. That’s the grey zone.

It becomes mixed media when the whole surface of your painting is coloured with different kind of painting media.

Ok.. let me say it differently. When you indicate that a painting is made with the one or another medium, what you indicate is the colours that were used and not the rest.
                                A pencil drawing coloured with watercolour paints is a watercolour painting and not a mixed media painting even if you have draw the whole universe underneath your colouring.

Same with ink..
                                Carl Larsson, the renowned Swedish watercolorist, used extensively ink on his paintings.

Check this painting of his.
                                https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Carl_Larsson-Lath%C3%B6rnet.jpg

Heavily inked but if you scroll down you’ll see in the description that this painting is considered as a watercolour painting. ( from the museum that there’s exhibited).

Now if some watercolour societies want to ignore such examples and keep on insisting on purism and other such nonsenses.. what to say..

Charm honestly I’m sick and tired with labels, rules and “musts”. And what makes me getting completely mad is that all these things are applied from people that don’t practice painting, don’t live from their paintings, but just theorize and put rules and labels to each anyone and everything existing..

So what is this image? Is it a painting? Is it fine-art? Is it watercolor? Is this type of image even worth discussing?

Illustration
                                From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An illustration is a visualization or a depiction of a subject made by an artist, such as a drawing, sketch, painting, photograph, or other kind of image of things seen, remembered or imagined, using a graphical representation. The word comes from the latin word illustra’tio, illu’stro meaning enlighten, irradiate. Printing is the current process for reproducing illustrations, typically with ink on paper using a printing press. Illustrations can be artistic images illustrating for example a text, poem, fashion, magazines, stamps or a book and very often illustrations were made for children’s books. The aim of an illustration is to elucidate or decorate a story, poem or piece of textual information by providing a visual representation of something described in the text. Illustrations can also represent scientific images of flora, medicine or different processes, a biological or chemical processes or technical illustrations to give information on how to use something.[1] Illustrations can be executed in different techniques, like watercolor, gouache, ink, oil, charcoal chalk or woodcut.

Illustrations are often carried out as a large-scale industrial process, and is an essential part of publishing and transaction printing.

And here is a whole page full of paintings most of them made with ink and watercolours by Carl Larsson.

https://www.google.gr/search?q=Carl+Larsson&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMI7OiUtKD_xgIVA1gUCh1kigaH&biw=1280&bih=875#imgrc=_

I think the differences are more than obvious.

floyd

Virgil, you’ve opened up a whole universe of complexity concerning the various manifestations of art. The root of the problem is the inadequacy of language. The word “art” just doesn’t stretch far enough. At the lowest level, art is anything intended to be art. Nobody can deny that a child’s drawing is art. At the highest level, it’s anything that pushes the boundaries of what what the individual, or the entire human race is capable of creating or expressing, whether or not it was intended to be art or not. A great violin maker would have to be considered an artist, for his achievement, even though he only considered himself a craftsman. In between are a thousand different shades of art, motivated by different objectives, money, religion, recreation, meditation, self realization, social interaction, grief, the need to use up a warehouse full of art supplies. In a perfect world, every artist would have an entirely different definition of art, giving us a world of variety. Unfortunately there are enough like thinkers to create cliques and controversy. “Fine Art”? While it sounds good, it’s just another shade of art. I think of it as something intended to push the limits, extent the barriers, redefine. Whether it succeeds or not. Great illustration is better than bad fine art. What does all of this have to do with the mixed media question? Well, media driven art is another shade of art, where the objective is pushing the limits of the medium. Not all art is media driven- sometimes it’s just about getting the image in your head into tangible form, whatever it takes. Again, it’s about the inadequacy of language, because we can’t have several thousand words for several thousand artists take on their medium. So we mostly call it watercolor.
                                    I’ve done things like the little bulldog, and the wonder and quirk was mostly in the joy of cashing the check. Felt used afterwards.
                                    -Floyd

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/20-Mar-2015/49857-signature.jpg https://www.facebook.com/myartpage

waterhorse

I don’t think the differences are anything like more than obvious – neither the differences between “illustration” and “fine art” nor those between “watercolor” and “mixed media.” Are you saying Carl Larsson’s water colors that meet the Wikipedia definition illustrations are not fine art, because that’s not obvious to me. What if a work is colored roughly equally with watercolor and with pencil or pastel, or if the line/ink is about the same amount as the paint? The issues arise at the borders.

And maybe this is entirely separate, but to me this discussion also brings to mind the issue of “arts” vs “crafts” – there are talented hobby watercolorists who consider themselves “crafters” because their watercolor painting is not an end in itself but in the service of making cards, scrapbooks, journals, collages, etc. Is this a meaningful distinction? Are collages, for example, crafts, water colors, mixed media?

Sure, in many senses all of these questions don’t – shouldn’t – matter. But humans have a natural urge to classify – not just in the interest of suppressing creativity, but because that is how we understand and organize and make manageable a very complex and chaotic world. And it’s fun to talk about when, as here, nothing critical hinges on the particular discussion. Snce everyone is still free to exercise his or her creativity as desired no matter what views are expressed, I am enjoying and getting a lot out of hearing the varied opinions and viewpoints (especially as a relative newcomer to the “fine arts” world – though not to the universal issue of classification!).

Jessica

virgil carter

Yep, Char’s question about what’s mixed media (and what’s not), and mine about what’s art (and what’s not) is definitely a can of worms.

That said, as long as we can keep the conversation civil (and comprehensible), these are important questions to share and discuss, because if we don’t do it, who will?

For those of us who teach (and who paint) these are questions we encounter over and over. So discussion is a big help. Besides, we all learn from each other, don’t we?

Sling stuff (gently),
                                            Virgil

Sling paint,
                                            Virgil Carter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 136 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.