Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Can I iron out wrinkles after varnishing?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Cathart

An older watercolor on which I had applied two coats of light (refinish) varnish spray has wrinkled. :(:(:( Do y’all think I can iron them out with a damp towel on the back, without damaging it? Anyone else try doing this?
        Thanks for any input.
        Cathart

Cathart

Violet Roses

What specific type and brand of varnish and paper did you use? What type of wrinkles did you get?… All-over crumpling? Warping? Crazing?

I love mixed media!

Don’t even think about it. If the varnish is made of synthetic ingredients it will release dioxins as soon as you’ll iron it.

Better wet the back of the painting, put in the back a cloth towel and some heavy weight items, ( books or something ) and let it dry there. It might flatten the wrinkle but it might not.
            But don’t iron it by the time that is already varnished.

Cathart

What specific type and brand of varnish and paper did you use? What type of wrinkles did you get?… All-over crumpling? Warping? Crazing?

Krylon retouch spray varnish
                Arches 140lb
                edges wrinkled where I stapled it to the board when wet

I think the idea in another reply will be what I’ll try…damp towel on back and cover with books for a few days.

Thanks for your reply.

Cathart

Cathart

Don’t even think about it. If the varnish is made of synthetic ingredients it will release dioxins as soon as you’ll iron it.

Better wet the back of the painting, put in the back a cloth towel and some heavy weight items, ( books or something ) and let it dry there. It might flatten the wrinkle but it might not.
                    But don’t iron it by the time that is already varnished.

Thanks for your response, Marialena
                    I will try that.

Cathart

Krylon retouch spray varnish
                    Arches 140lb
                    edges wrinkled where I stapled it to the board when wet

I think the idea in another reply will be what I’ll try…damp towel on back and cover with books for a few days.

Thanks for your reply.

Oups.. not dump towel. Dry towel. Spray the back of the painting with water, then put on top of this the towel in order to protect the painting, put on top of the towel something flat and heavy ( books, a wooden board or something ) and let it dry there.
                    This is a very generic method to flatten paintings without ironing them but I don’t know if it will work on this particular varnished surface. The varnish might not “allow” the paper to straighten properly or it might retain the wrinkle no matter if the paper straightens underneath.
                    I don’t know and I can’t say. I don’t varnish my paintings. ( and to tell you the truth wax sounds like a better option to me).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.