WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 08:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: how do i tighten loose paint brush ferrules

Pull the ferrule off the wooden handle.

Sandpaper the wooden handle.

Prepare some epoxy glue, and apply it to the handle.

Push the ferrule onto the handle.

Allow it to set up.

It will outlive the bristles of the brush--even through painting, washing with solvent, & soap and water washing.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2018, 12:21 PM

Thank you Harold for your very informative response!!! I had a strong feeling the brushes I received for Christmas were defective but had to inquire to make sure. I contacted Jerry's customer service about this and my replacement brushes are already on the way. A top notch company I must say!!!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2018, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast

so do brushes hang, bristles down,or stand, bristle up?
Is it the same for ALL brushes, WC, oil, acrylic?
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Enthusiast

Cool - a 14 year old thread brought back from the dead!

First on the thread topic of tightening loose ferrules, I used to use epoxy glue but switched to Cyanoacrylate adhesive aka "Krazy Glue", "Super Glue" etc. to put them back in place, It only takes a few seconds and you are done. I have never had one come loose that was Super Glued in place. You can also wick super glue into loose ferrules that have not come off the handle yet to keep them from spinning.

If your brush is expensive and the paint or varnish is flaking off the handle, which is common with water based use, give it a coat of alkyd medium or urethane varnish from end to end before you glue it back on to extend the life of the handle. Pay particular attention to the end that will be covered with the ferrule as you won't have access to it once it is glued back on.

As for the position of brushes when soaking, cleaning and storing this link covers most of it. I would add that Masters Brush Cleaner is the best I have found. I also use Murphy's Oil Soap for brushes that end up with dried paint in them. If you don't periodically reshape your brushes as described in the Masters Brush Cleaner instructions or some other method such as with soap or starch, they will eventually end up splayed. I condition and shape mine every other time I clean them and they all look like new, though they mostly are 2-5 years old.

http://www.winsornewton.com/na/disco...-of-brushes-us

Last edited by contumacious : 03-04-2018 at 01:41 PM.