Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Tips for First Exhibition…?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    RexRoamer

I hope this isn’t too repetitive – I did a search, but found no results (which doesn’t seem quite feasible, LOL.)

In any event, I’m doing my first exhibition as part of an art show in a few weeks. Of course I received the basic guidelines from the organization hosting the event, but I’m hoping someone who has been down this road can give me some personal, inside tips.

I have absolutely NO idea how to price the pieces, but I plan to speak to other exhibitors to see what the prevailing market is in the region. The host takes 20% of the sale, which seems quite reasonable to me, especially since most of that revenue goes to scholarships.

I’m more interested in things like: what should I expect from attendees? Should exhibited works be behind glass frames so they are not damaged? Are there any canvas sizes I should avoid (in other words, do art buyers prefer smaller or larger works?)

I’m so looking forward to experienced opinions on this topic and thank you all in advance. :)

[FONT="Impact"]"Art only begins where imitation ends." ~Oscar Wilde
        virgil carter

What is your painting medium? If it’s watercolor, then pieces should be matted and framed using plexiglass which will not break if accidents happen.

I recommend using the same or similar frames for all pieces at an exhibition, and I feel that double mats (white or off-white) add a touch of character.

I also believe that paintings at an exhibition should have some sort of theme or continuity which shows that you are a strong painter with a specific interest in some sort of related subjects. In other words, don’t exhibit half a dozen different types of subjects at a given exhibition. Some folks think this doesn’t matter, but in my opinion if an artist exhibits a wide range of subjects in a single exhibition, I believe it suggests that the artist hasn’t yet matured and focused seriously on a given type of subject, such as landscape, or portraits, or florals or whatever.

Just some thoughts which I hope are helpful.

Good luck!

Sling paint,
            Virgil

Sling paint,
            Virgil Carter
            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

RexRoamer

These are terrific suggestions, Virgil – thanks so very much!

I should have mentioned my medium: it’s acrylic on both canvas and watercolor paper. My subject matter is fairly consistent, however, so at least I’m good on that count. But I would never really have thought about that had you not mentioned it.

Your advice is appreciated.

RexRoamer

BTW, Virgil – I see you’re from the Brandywine Valley area. I’m not far from you in the Harrisburg area. Good to find a “neighbor” on the board!

virgil carter

Hi Rex! We moved from Chadds Ford to a small town north of San Antonio–Boerne, TX–about five years ago. Still have the Brandywine in my blood; I even wrote and illustrated a book about it before moving.

Sling paint,
                        Virgil

Sling paint,
                        Virgil Carter
                        http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

Harold Roth

If it’s acrylics, it doesn’t need to be behind glass even if it is on paper. Just varnish it.

I like double mats too but some shows do not allow them or colored mats.

I have noticed one thing about size in shows. Smaller paintings have a greater likelihood of being placed below the line, which is disadvantageous.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.