Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Portrait of girls

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ShaunGamache

Got alot of the alignments wrong on the chin and mouth
        Eyes not on the same line. Shape of head wrong. Need to fit both of them on the page. This was my first attempt. It is a commission. Got a bunch of them. Now i nerd to live up to their expectations

Shaun Gamache
        Www.shaungamache.com
        I Am that I Am
        C and c welcome

Good luck. I use “Trace Down” paper to get the features in the correct places.

Penny
        I live in Wiltshire, England
        “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Also turning the photo and drawing upside down helps to focus on comparing sizes of shapes.

bethany
        moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
        website www.bethanyart.com
        My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

Phil

Just wondering if you had considered using the “Grid” method ?
            It would help enormously in getting the proportions correct.
            The other benefit is that (unlike tracing) I beleive that it helps you to eventually transition to just requiring a measurement here and there and hopefully eventually no grid at all.
            I think that tracing just becomes a crutch that is almost impossible to transcend.
            Either way, it is very difficult to get those proportions correct without some form of measuring assistance, at least in the initial stages.
            Another point is that the reference image you are using looks very “flat” to me, i..e not very much contrast between lights and darks and therefore very difficult to interpret – the drawing would also be quite flat.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/10-Oct-2007/118358-sig-PDGARTbanner.jpg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.