Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Calligraphy G nib guide lines

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike L

Is there a suggested height of guide lines for writing with a G nib?

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Mike L

After a bit of research and transliteration of nib sizes I went ahead and measured a G nib. I drew the widest line possible and measured it with a digital caliper. The results: 1.2 mm wide.

So, I started looking for premade guide sheets for this size and found nothing. Again, taking matters into my own hands I created my own guide sheets in CorelDraw. Three nib widths for the ascender and descender and 2 nib widths for the base for a 3:2:3 ratio. Slant lines are set at 55 degrees All this for Copperplate.

Photo shows the sheet in use, my El-Cheapo oblique holder with Zebra G nib, and my homemade ink well. Ink well is a 3″ X 3″ X 3″ hickory cube cut with a hole for a 3/4″ diameter Solo plastic cup with lid.

baijoz

As they say ‘necessity is the mother of invention’…. in your case, it looks like your inventiveness is coupled with some great skills… :clap:

I love the inkwell

Mike L

Thank you. I have only one more chunk of hickory. I’m still debating whether to cut it into smaller chips for grilling or trying another ink pot base.

Hiraeth

Hi, Michael,

Unlike Broad pen nibs, guidelines for pointed pen nibs are predicated on the script itself, not the size or length of the nib. Nibs lengths/size has nothing whatsoever to do with the proportions of the guideline for pointed pen work.

First, determine the x height (space between the baseline and the top of the miniscule letter o or a. Then decide the length of the ascenders and descenders (usually between 1-2 times the x height).

You can find an excellent pointed pen guideline generator here:http://shipbrook.net/guidelines/

Mike L

Hi, Michael,

Unlike Broad pen nibs, guidelines for pointed pen nibs are predicated on the script itself, not the size or length of the nib. Nibs lengths/size has nothing whatsoever to do with the proportions of the guideline for pointed pen work.

First, determine the x height (space between the baseline and the top of the miniscule letter o or a. Then decide the length of the ascenders and descenders (usually between 1-2 times the x height).

You can find an excellent pointed pen guideline generator here:[url]http://shipbrook.net/guidelines/[/url]

👍

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.