Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity Changing Styles

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    beebluefern

I’ve been painting for a long time and I, like a lot of artists, struggled with what I was producing. I haven’t been happy with my work for a few months-really unhappy. This past year I became interested in working in pastel-same issues with pastel I had with watercolor-not happy with what I was seeing in the studio, so I have begun taking inventory of what I like about my work and what I like in other’s work. I’ve poured over a lot of my old paintings and even some digital work that I did many years ago. I’ve narrowed things down a bit and find that while I do like the result of a few of my more traditional paintings, they have all actually been a struggle…no, a battle within. No joy, to tell the truth. The categories of my favorite and more joyful works were either Fauvism or Colorist or a blend of both. I am immensely drawn toward the Colorists, both past and present. Conrad Theys, Angus Wilson, Erin Hanson, Casey Klahn are all amazing contemporary artists. I’ve decided I need to follow a style that works for me. Perhaps it’s more Fauvist in style, I don’t know for sure, but today’s work in the studio was pure joy. I live near the Blue Ridge Mountains and often paint what I see in the community or surrounding area when I’m out driving, doing chores, etc. This morning, The First Day of Spring, I painted this. A view of Table Rock in the Foothills. I want to stay in the studio all day and paint this scene using all of my beautiful glowing pastels!

Yes, perhaps Fauvist. What do you think?

pastel on toned MiTientes
        9×12 inches.

Whatever you do, Do from the heart.
        Col. 3:23

I took the time to investigate the artists you like:
        Conrad Theys: van Gogh colour without his brushwork
        Angus Wilson: to my eye his art could have been painted by Erin Hanson
        Erin Hanson: always liked her work. Yes a modern Fauve
        Casey Klahn: Post Impressionism edging towards abstract with a hint of Fauve colour

I then looked as 8 or 10 of your recent paintings you posted to WC. Two things stand out when comparing your work to the artists you admire:

[*]Edges: You need to sharpen your edges if you wish to emulate the artists on your list
          [*]Underpainting: Erin in particular appears to make use of strong underpainting. You may not need to go this route if you strengthen your edges

I can’t help you with the impressionism edging towards abstract as I too am unable to follow that particular route though I have tried and failed so far.

Good luck in your art journey.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
        blog.jlk.net

beebluefern

I took the time to investigate the artists you like:
            Conrad Theys: van Gogh colour without his brushwork
            Angus Wilson: to my eye his art could have been painted by Erin Hanson
            Erin Hanson: always liked her work. Yes a modern Fauve
            Casey Klahn: Post Impressionism edging towards abstract with a hint of Fauve colour

I then looked as 8 or 10 of your recent paintings you posted to WC. Two things stand out when comparing your work to the artists you admire:[LIST=1]
            [*]Edges: You need to sharpen your edges if you wish to emulate the artists on your list
            [*]Underpainting: Erin in particular appears to make use of strong underpainting. You may not need to go this route if you strengthen your edges[/LIST]
            I can’t help you with the impressionism edging towards abstract as I too am unable to follow that particular route though I have tried and failed so far.

Good luck in your art journey.

Thank you! Good advice-yes, I definitely need to work on edges. Practice and more practice, of course.

DaveCrow

I lik ethis piece. I particularly like the colors within colors. The reds, oranges, and yellows blended into the large areas of blues. I tend towards using a similar effect in watercolors, so no wonder I like it.

I find it gives life to these areas.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

beebluefern

I find quite a difference in the style of Angus Wilson and that of Erin Hanson. I guess it might be splitting hairs, but his work is clearly post impressionistic while hers is open impressionism. Casey Klahn has turned more and more to the abstract of late and I’m especially enjoying his work-watching his videos.

beebluefern

I lik ethis piece. I particularly like the colors within colors. The reds, oranges, and yellows blended into the large areas of blues. I tend towards using a similar effect in watercolors, so no wonder I like it.

I find it gives life to these areas.

Thank you! I too am a blender with watercolor. I love seeing the pigment blend with one another! I don’t work in that medium often enough!! This is so basic, but still get a thrill when I mix Ultramarine with Burnt Sienna! :lol:

Use Her Name

I really do not see the style that you shared in the photo as “fauvist.” Southwest impressionism has always depicted natural landscapes using untrue colors– however colors near to or imaginarily near to the real color, for instance, bright blue or purple shadows, magenta sand, lime green bushes, etc. Is this “fauvist?” I think it appropriates from Fauvism perhaps.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Use Her Name

Do you actually need to have a “Label” for the style you do?

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

maryinasia

beautiful

Copic marker

You did a good work: it is awesome[/URL]!:clap: :)
                                        ———————————————————————

Rachel

Beautiful painting! It looks so serene and quiet.

_____________________________________________

Hey guys! Rachel here! I love everything high-end and high-fashion. Recently, I am reading this designer’s blog in which she explains how high-quality imitation products are. I am surprised by the quality she shows. You can click here for this article.

John humber

If you enjoyed what you did (for the first time in a long while from the sound of things) then that must indicate something surely.

I recognise something of what you say, although mine is too long a story to go into here, but what I did when I felt I’d reached a step similar to yours, was to use Pinterest to explore as many ideas as I could find along the lines that I thought I was exploring. Turned up quite a few dead ends but also turned up some  very productive ones too. Pinterest is such a good research tool I use it every day. I found a few artists that gave me a now that’s something like where I’d like to be. And my first attempts were poor imitations of their work, but gradually I found my own way, my own approach, one that is recognisable as mine, but at the same time has plenty of scope for development—my own ‘style’ if you will, although I tend to react to the use of that word as I feel it has just a touch of being on a fixed path and I prefer to think that I am still open to influences.

PLEASE how do I make these dreadful yellow things go away? OMG there's even more of the awful things now.

www.instagram.com/john_humber_artist
                                                www.instagram.com/john_petty_letterform

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.