WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 02:50 AM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States
Help with choosing mat color and frame

I bought this red mat to go with the Obama drawing I did a couple of months ago, but when I tried it out today, I'm thinking it might not be good. Opinions about whether it is too much red and what you think would work are appreciated. I have received suggestions by the general population, but I think my artist friends might know better what colors to use.

Thanks!
Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States
Re: Help with choosing mat color and frame

This is what I would say...white on red
Attached Images

Portraity
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 AM

Sorry, instantly I thought too much red.

Count my vote for a shade of white.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 AM
PA

Hails from United States

I like George's suggestions of light with an accent of red. The red mat is too much red.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

I like the eggshell white for most of my pieces...it's an off white that does not take away or distracts from the piece...I almost always use the accent of the major color in the piece as the secondary mat.

Portraity
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I try and pick up a shade of white from my piece. I like George's suggestion, but would tone down that bright white.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Well I tend to look at what thing in the painting I want to bring forward and use that as the secondary color. In this I would use off white but make the off white mat not as large. I tend to avoid white or off white mats. I matted a black lab done on black paper with a black and white mat, black being the predominate mat in a black frame. My resting picture, with the denim and boots, I found a mat that looked like leather and used it predominately with the denim color as the second mat. Both look stunning. I tend to take mine to a framing shop and go through their mat colors with the painting to find something that I think goes well. I might have to learn how to cut my own mats because that is a very expensive way to go and I am cheap!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2012, 11:38 AM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

Thanks for the opinions. That looks great, George! Off white with a touch of red. Now how about the frame? Would it be too much if I found a redwood frame to compliment the red mat underneath? Or, should I just go with a wood frame?

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2012, 04:17 PM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

I am going to go with the off white mat over the red, and I may use a blue wood frame (not bright, just barn board type frame) or a redwood frame. I will see how it looks when I get it put together. My son suggested the blue frame so it would be patriotic (red, white, and blue) and I think it might be a good idea. I have a few blue frames exactly what I would like to get.

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2012, 06:37 PM

I always feel the frame is the item at needs to blend/compliment/match the wall it will be hung on. For example there's no point going for a gold oranate frame in a house that is has a rustic country theme. It would simply stand out like a sore thumb.

Do you have an idea where it might be hung or what syle/colour scheme it will be in? It might give us a better idea of what to suggest.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

I am hoping it will be hung in the Country Corner Farmers Market that is pictured in the drawing. I am going to take it out there after I get it framed.

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 PM
A Local Legend
Milan, Illlinois

Hails from United States

I ended up putting the red mat under the off white mat, and I am looking for another frame....maybe a light red woodgrain frame, or just a better wood frame. But, considering where the drawing is going, to a red woodgrain building, I think the light red will look nice. Still open for opinions, though.

I think the white mat compliments the white shirt and the white of the trim of the roof. What do you all think?

Char

CRY Colored Pencil Art