Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Numbering of "Round" brushes…standard among manufactuerers?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PapaGeorgie

Is the size of “round” brushes standard among manufacturers? I have a Di Vinci kolinsky 6 and an AIT 12. Close to the same size.

Elliria

I don’t think so. I think they’re kind of like shoes. You can know the size you usually wear, but you still have to try them on because they’re not all made the same way.

I’m with you on this, though. Standards are a pet peeve of mine. I’ve always been into keeping things tidy and organized and would love to keep all my number sixes together, etc., but since all sixes (and others) aren’t the same, I’ve realized why so many folks just toss them all into a box or jar and fumble through them when in search for just the right brush.

On a related side note, I think I first butted heads with standards when I went to the store to buy a new toilet seat and found, to my complete surprise, that they come in sizes, resulting in a round trip home and back to the store with freshly-gathered measurements before the purchase could be made. That’s exactly the kind of thing nobody would ever discuss or think about until and/or unless they needed to buy one.

My most recent war on standards happened when I lost one of those tiny screws that hold my glasses together and the ones that come in the repair kit didn’t fit. The eye doctor’s office admitted that they intentionally use non-standard sizes to get you to come in when that happens. That’s just mean-spirited. As if it’s not annoying enough having to suddenly go to the eye doctor (if you can drive at all without your glasses), I can’t help thinking how much more awful it would be if you weren’t nearby or they were closed because of a weekend or holiday or evening hours.

PapaGeorgie

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that wasn’t the case. I guess it is too much to ask that the “width” and “length” of a brush (in mm) is measured at the same points for all manufacturers…oh god what am I thinking. 😎

calvin_0

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that wasn’t the case. I guess it is too much to ask that the “width” and “length” of a brush (in mm) is measured at the same points for all manufacturers…oh god what am I thinking. 😎

jackson art will list down the width and length of the brush… if they forget to list them (it happen sometimes), you can contact them and asked for the measurement.

Ted B.

If you have a Blick Catalog somewhere they have a lot of the major brush manufacturers’ specs and dimensions.. I usually buy from Jerry’s since they have a local retail store, but I keep the Blick for quick reference …especially for Amazon and Ebay stuff. Helps to know what the mfr. actally calls something when you’re searching….and if the seller is blowing smoke on the price.

Radical Fundemunsellist

DaveCrow

Rosemary & Co. Publish actual size photos of their brushes in their print catalogs.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.