WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
florida

Hails from United States
wedding gift

ok this is the biggest pic ive done by far. going to give to a friends for there wedding gift ( hope they stay friends lol ) any c&c welcome trying to improve been out of art for long time this is about 22 X 36 water color and ink wash on cold press board ( worked to death any ideas on flating out the board again lol its a little wavey from water) thanks
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Singapore
Re: wedding gift

Right now, the couple looks a bit sinister instead of the warm and friendly persons the are. I suspect it is the severe contrast in the eyes regions.

The man's face and mouth are too wide and his jawbone too angular. The nosebridge is too narrow and also slightly crooked. Need to soften up he dark shadows on both side of the face.

The shape of woman's mouth is somewhat skewed. Becuase you have compressed her body, her arm is way too short and thin relative to her head, and her breast is too high up. The man's hand should not appear unless you lengthen up the picture.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
florida

Hails from United States

nafa
your right i see what you mean about compressing the figures and the eyes
now. i noticed his face and mouth when i posted it.think ill chalk this up to good practice and start over lol. thanks for c&c really helped
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast
Asheville, NC

Hails from United States

I like where you're headed with this as in the style. I noticed what nafa is talking about right away but there is still something I like about it. Your choice of colors and contrasts are good. Keep at it!

Nancy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
florida

Hails from United States

ndee
thank you and i will
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Singapore

Glad my comments are of some value. I don't know whether you have anything against gridding. Since accuracy is so important for portraiture, I strongly believe that any beginning portrait artists who forsake gridding and insist on relying on his/her bare eyes are choosing a recipe for major frustration.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
florida

Hails from United States

ive tried blocking but it drives me nuts for some reason
i just got lazy on this one and tried to go to the painting process to soon before i was done with the pencil part. tried to do to much layout while i was painting instead of making sure with the pencil first.thanks again for the replies i have learned a lot from this.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
florida

Hails from United States
Re: wedding gift 2nd try

ok finally got time enough to finish the the new one c&c welcome think it is better than the first still see where i need some work but im calling this done and moving on to the next
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
florida

Hails from United States
Re: wedding gift 2nd try

oops didnt attach pic hope it works this time
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast
Asheville, NC

Hails from United States

I still like your unique style, if you could just keep working on getting the features lined up right you'll have a great look going. A teacher I took lessons from had us always start with the eyes, then nose, mouth, chin, cheeks, ears and relate everything back to the eyes or the portion that just evolved from that starting point. It works every time and the more you train your eye to measure and relate, the better you get at it. Keep sketching and drawing as much as you can and study faces even when you're not drawing them. Keep showing us your progress too! Good work

Nancy
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
florida

Hails from United States

thanks nancy
getting the features is what i tried to do think i did better job this time but still need lots of work the main one i notice is his left eye our right is a bit high but didnt see this till i had shaded almost the whole picture lol.thanks for your comments they help out and ill keep pluggen away at it as i find spare time. joe
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
florida

Hails from United States

thanks nancy
getting the features is what i tried to do think i did better job this time but still need lots of work the main one i notice is his left eye our right is a bit high but didnt see this till i had shaded almost the whole picture lol.thanks for your comments they help out and ill keep pluggen away at it as i find spare time. joe
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
florida

Hails from United States

ooops computer had a hicup
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Ok this is probably way more than you wanted

Something that might help with the perspective/anatomy is to make sure when you are drawing it and painting it is to visualize the bone structure constantly....hard to explain and just coming off a painting session after 4 am !! ahkkk! so will do my best for now....ok dont think i cant explain taht well can just say that whenever i am working on something i am constantly looking for where the bone structure is under the skin, making sure things are sitting in place sometimes helps to feel my own bone structure to figure out how things are working. if i have the bone structure right everything else falls into place....ok that was a bomb explanation.....

something that helped me immensly was to draw and paint the skull and skeleton, .....did that in school teacher had us paint life size versions of our own skeletons...it was amazing how easy it was to pick out other classmates correctly based soley on the skeleton.......ok i digress again after 4.......suggestion is to buy a skull and draw it from many angles or look in mirror and paint your own skull and then build up from there.....

final suggestion for making sure things are in right place....always helps me to work with angles and points to find where things are in relation to other things.........ie if drawing a person find where one knee is in relation to the other in relation t the foot in relation to the ear etc........i think something similar to that method is called the envelope technique in case your interested...

i say all of this because your features in the first painting are well done but seems like the bone structure is what is lacking, if you understand better whats going on underneath then you will understand how to get the features in the right places

ok i wrote all that and then saw your updated image lovely drawing and nice improvement love her hair and nice job capturing both of them...I think they will enjoy your present alot! besides a few structural drawing issues the main thing i notice is that you tend to go a little too heavy with the darks(ie high/sharp contrast on her ear and eyelid, as well as under his chin) an easy fix if you either lighten the dark up a little or soften the transitions. Also another idea would be to suggest where his shoulder is to balance the composition a little more.

hope that helps and looking forward to seeing more of your work!

www.rebeccabeal.com
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
florida

Hails from United States

becca
wow all great advise thanks way back when i was in school ive done all those but been so long ive forgotten about them. i will be looking for a good skull ref over the weekend. the measurements and placment of things im just having a hard time getting my eye back but i hope with enough practicing that i will eventually get there. i agree about his shoulder will be adding that in thanks joe