Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Paper Recommendations and Experiences

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    DMSS

For those of you who paint on paper, what kind and weight of paper do you recommend, and why? Do you paint thinly, thickly, watery, impasto on paper? Do you use acrylic paper, watercolor paper, something else? Do you have any tips for painting on paper? How does absorbent ground on canvas compare to painting on paper? Do you wet the paper, and if so how wet do you make it, or do you paint on dry paper? What kind of painting do you do on paper, that is, realistic, abstract, impressionistic, portraits, landscapes, etc.? Thanks.

--David

AKrillLick

I don’t like a lot of tooth on a canvas and tend to get the Winsor & Newton Professional Cotton Smooth canvas so painting on paper really appeals to me — the smoother the better.

I have used acrylic inks on paper but generally I paint from tube, not impasto but quite thick initially and then thinner layers and glazes with mediums as needed.

I have never used acrylic paper as most paper I see to buy tends to be watercolour or mixed media. I keep a pad of thinner mixed media sheets for quicker work, tests and my more illustrative works that I do in ink and then opacify with polychromos pencils.

For my more fine art work which I guess is realism with a touch of impressionism — where my goal is to make it look more like an oil painting once varnished — I either use a canvas as above or hot-pressed watercolour paper for a really smooth surface (the pad I currently have is 140 lbs and haven’t really tried the really heavy stuff). I just blocked the colour on a new piece last night and the paper does start to bend so after that first layer dried I used a book to flatten it and then masking taped it to my drawing board.

The bend in the paper never used to bother me until I started varnishing my pieces — where it becomes a problem as the varnish runs from the edges into the middle.

I have never wet the paper beforehand as some watercolours artists do as I just flatten it after the first layer of acrylic has gone down.

I have never used absorbent ground so can’t comment on that.

Paper will always buckle unless stretched properly first. Once done, it’s not supposed to buckle again when water is applied!;)

Unless you gesso the paper, the first layers of paint will be sucked up quickly and so are really just a ‘sealer’ and base.

Paper has the advantage of light weight but then needs to be mounted (matted) and framed behind glass but is, generally, kinder to brushes and good for more detailed work.

I’m not convinced buying the heavier, more expensive w/c papers is worth it but that’s a matter of choice.

You might like to consider using matboard as a base – lovely and smooth, lighter than canvas, no tooth ……. depends on the kind of textures you want to work with. I’m still using pieces a framer gave me years ago – from all his off-cuts – it’s probably my favourite surface.

I like paper when using the acrylic inks because I like the w/c effects possible with those, and then I’ll use a cold press paper with tooth – the degree of roughness is a personal choice.

I’m not a fan of the acrylic papers except for practice pieces and such.

No experience of using absorbent grounds.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

maryinasia

I like watercolor paper. I try to save the best watercolor paper for watercolor. Anything will do for acrylic.

I like the way I can start a painting in watercolor and finish in acrylic, or go straight on with acrylic. With acrylic, I don’t wet the paper. I don’t try to paint watercolor style with acrylic paints. However, if I start in watercolor, I might wet the paper to do watercolor effects.

I paint a variety of subjects in a variety of styles.

I don’t like acrylic paper… too plasticy and slippery.

I like acrylic paper, though I can’t really explain why lol. Just liked the feel of it. It’s good if you like the canvas texture. I also use mixed media paper a lot which is smooth. I just tape it to a board and paint like I normally would.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                Every painting is a new adventure.

Tina Lewis

I don’t much like acrylic paper, I prefer the ones that have been made for oils.

I like watercolour paper, preferably cold press at 140lb as I find the hot press of that weight too slippery after a couple of paint layers. I’ve tried heavier hot press in the past and have enjoyed them (they were very absorbent) and plan to try them again sometime.

I don’t bother stretching for acrylics as I don’t use them too fluid nor do I gesso.

gaykir

I use watercolor paper and then I use acrylics just like watercolors. I’ve been doing it for years with no problems. I started out as a watercolorist and when I switched to acrylics I simply transferred the process I had always used. I never gesso paper. My acrylics on paper look like watercolors.

http://gaylekirbyart.blogspot.com/

DMSS

I use watercolor paper and then I use acrylics just like watercolors. I’ve been doing it for years with no problems. I started out as a watercolorist and when I switched to acrylics I simply transferred the process I had always used. I never gesso paper. My acrylics on paper look like watercolors.

What did you switch to acrylics?

--David

I really like “Fluid” WC Paper. Apparently Blick knows this about me as they are often putting this on sale. I use it mostly for inks although I have recently learned why this isn’t in the best interest of my ink but I also use it for watercolor and acrylics.

I have “MultiMedia” paper by Strathmore too. It has a shorter tooth and I can use it, pretty much for everything. The pad I’m looking at is 140 lb but I have no idea why I’ve stuck with that weight but I do have several pads of it.

I may have enough paper to re-tree several forests.

Sheila

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
                            -Helen Keller
                            The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
                            -Henry David Thoreau

wal_t

I do lifeclass portrait painting on heavy drawing paper using regular Acrylics (at home I paint on panels as I prefer a hard and slick surface like a panel or paper instead of the springy textured canvasses that I use only now and again these days).

It is smooth Drawing paper of 360 grams/square meter …. so the heaviest drawing paper that is available I reckon (I find that the more readily available 200 grams/square meter weight is not good because it buckles too much for my liking).

I work on dry paper starting with acrylics thinned with a little water and when progressing using acrylics that are not much thinned with water but just with a brush that is damp from cleaning.By the way I do all the lifecalls paintings with (cheap) hog hair brushes (at home I use synthetics only).

I do not wet the paper and I attach it with just 2 big clamps on the top to a drawing board so I let it hang loose ….. in my experience with this approach and with this tickness of the paper and letting the paper hang loose/free on the easel there is no buckling (hardly I shoud say) of the paper.

DMSS

I meant why did you switch to acrylics?

--David

fedetony

I love the combination of paper and fluid acrylics. The great advantage of using paper is the level of detail you can achieve since the absorption helps a lot. I used many paper types and have experimented a lot, they all have advantages and disadvantages. I will just name the main ones:

Bristol paper: 180g/m2
                                        Adv: The soft flat surface really enhances the colors and gives a brilliance of colors in low light conditions. Light shines far better because of flatness of the surface.
                                        Really resistant, I mean is very strong, so does not damage easily when masking or adding layers , even wet in wet.
                                        Disadv: Paper wrinkles. There in no higher weight papers.

Acrylic/Oil paper: 300g/m2
                                        Adv: Absorbs very well. Details are easier to be achieved.
                                        Does not wrinkle
                                        Disadv: You require more paint, specially if you use liquid inks.
                                        Neutral: Has texture, sometimes is good, like for textures fur or other stuff, sometimes is not that good like for female skin portraits.

Watercolor Paper: >360g/m2
                                        Adv: Absorbs very well. Details are easy to be achieved.
                                        Does not wrinkle. Thickest paper you can get without being a cardboard.
                                        Disadv: You require a lot of paint, specially if you use liquid inks. Has a “hairy” surface and is textured. Varnish gets absorbed, so is very difficult to make a very flat finish.
                                        Neutral: Has texture, sometimes is good, sometimes is not that good as with Acrylic paper.

Canvas Paper: 180g/m2
                                        Adv: Canvas-like texture if you like it.
                                        Disadv: very easy to damage surface, if you paint and the paper is wet the surface is just ripped off. Can’t paint wet over wet.

Strathmore drawing paper: 260g/m2
                                        Adv: You can draw in graphite/charcoal and use glazing techniques over them. Paper is very resistant but you need to use fixative before you use acrylics.
                                        Disadv: requires processing the paper.

Yupo Paper: 100g/m2
                                        Adv:Really shiny background and enhances colors. You’ll get the shiniest or more brilliant colors using it.
                                        Is plastic, so will have the longest longevity of all other materials.
                                        Wet in wet easily applied.
                                        Most resistant than anything else, is really difficult to damage even trying to break it.
                                        You can scratch the surface to regain the white surface. Highlights or scratch board type of work is possible.
                                        Perfect for fluid painting.
                                        Is completely non absorbent.
                                        You can erase acrylic with Isopropanol or ethylic alcohol>85%. (Leaves a light stain)
                                        Disadv: You need to perfectly let dry the paint before layering.
                                        Fat on fingers can stain it. Is very sensitive to stains or dirt or fat.. so you have to be careful when handling it.
                                        Neutral: Paint is like glued on the surface so you can peel it off.

Enjoy :D

Federico Garcia
                                        My Blog
                                        C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

DMSS

Thanks for all of the advice. Much apreciated.

--David

I just recovered a pad of Yupo I bought about a decade ago- I know! That time went by fast!

Anyway, I had bought some Yupo thinking it would be great for inks and, well, it’s not. The inks smudge and often smudge right off the page. I’d found it difficult to make anything to stick to this paper! I’d even bought the tiny 2.5″ by 3.75″ 10 sheet pad so I could try all kinds of substances on it… something must stick!

My question based on your description, Fedtony, is there anything that does definitely adhere to this paper? I don’t like the idea that a paint can be “peeled off”! I feel like I must conquer this paper!

RoadLessTaken aka Sheila

Yupo Paper: 100g/m2
                                            Adv:Really shiny background and enhances colors. You’ll get the shiniest or more brilliant colors using it.
                                            Is plastic, so will have the longest longevity of all other materials.
                                            Wet in wet easily applied.
                                            Most resistant than anything else, is really difficult to damage even trying to break it.
                                            You can scratch the surface to regain the white surface. Highlights or scratch board type of work is possible.
                                            Perfect for fluid painting.
                                            Is completely non absorbent.
                                            You can erase acrylic with Isopropanol or ethylic alcohol>85%. (Leaves a light stain)
                                            Disadv: You need to perfectly let dry the paint before layering.
                                            Fat on fingers can stain it. Is very sensitive to stains or dirt or fat.. so you have to be careful when handling it.
                                            Neutral: Paint is like glued on the surface so you can peel it off.

Enjoy :D

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
                                            -Helen Keller
                                            The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
                                            -Henry David Thoreau

fedetony

I just recovered a pad of Yupo I bought about a decade ago- I know! That time went by fast!

Anyway, I had bought some Yupo thinking it would be great for inks and, well, it’s not. The inks smudge and often smudge right off the page. I’d found it difficult to make anything to stick to this paper! I’d even bought the tiny 2.5″ by 3.75″ 10 sheet pad so I could try all kinds of substances on it… something must stick!

My question based on your description, Fedtony, is there anything that does definitely adhere to this paper? I don’t like the idea that a paint can be “peeled off”! I feel like I must conquer this paper!

RoadLessTaken aka Sheila

Ohh yes Sheila, you can make several things.
                                                Directly over yupo you can use oils, acrylics,markers, watercolor, charcoal, graphite… Etc…
                                                The issue is that you have to be very careful and let dry completely and that requires patience. Once dried Acrylics stick to it very good.. you can peel it if the layer is thick, yet is not easy to do, is not like it is going to peel off by itself. You can scratch when is dry and your layers are thin, again tequires some effort. Is like perforating a canvas, it is possible to do it, yet you need some effort to achieve this.
                                                The easiest is to use gesso first which allows you to have some absorption and get the typical tooth. Over it you can use graphite and charcoal. If you use charcoal or graphite you must use fixative. Then you tint with acrylics or oil or inks.
                                                You can even use pastels if you put a pastel base.
                                                Yupo is very versatile paper but you need to use its characteristics in your advantage. For fluid painting is awesome.

Examples:
                                                -acrylics over yupo directly Here I use the white of the yupo to make the fur.
                                                -Pastels on yupo
                                                -Acryilcs on yupo Here is just using a different style.
                                                -Flow painting on Yupo

Federico Garcia
                                                My Blog
                                                C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.